Home Sports Talk
Options

2021 Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic is the first player to win the first 3 calendar Grand slams

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2022 6:31AM in Sports Talk

Novak Djokovic wins Wimbledon for the 3rd straight year. He is one Tournament away(US Open) from winning the rare calendar Grand slam. A feat that has not been accomplished on the mens side since 1969. Steffi Graf was the last player do win all four grand slams in the same year back in 1988.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options

The title was suppossed to read 'Novak Djokovic is the first player to win the first 3 calendar Grand slams in over 50 years."

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2021 12:44PM

I might have mentioned this before, but I really want to get back into watching tennis.

As a kid, teen, young adult, I didn't play the sport, but I followed it, and watched my share of matches. I actually remember getting to a point where I really enjoyed it more because I had watched enough to understand the intricacies that make it great.

I don't pay enough attention to tennis, so I appreciate your posts @coolstanley . I'll be watching come August 30th.

Edited to add: I think that's the date?

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

By the time Djokovic retires he will be considered the greatest tennis player in history. I believe he has at least 5 more grand slam titles in him, and potentially 10 more if he stays healthy.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no one turns defense into offense like Joker. Berrettini was launching 135+ mph missiles that were coming back at him before he could blink

i'm not a tennis historian, but i can't imagine anyone having a better return of serve

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    no one turns defense into offense like Joker. Berrettini was launching 135+ mph missiles that were coming back at him before he could blink

i'm not a tennis historian, but i can't imagine anyone having a better return of serve

The only person that I could compare Djokovic's return game to is Agassi, since Agassi had to deal with the big serves Sampras, Roddick, and Ivanisevic. Nadal covers the court slightly better than Djokovic, but even that is starting to shift to Joker as Nadal gets older.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2021 5:32PM

Anyone interested in Novak Djokovic cards better jump aboard that train before it leaves the station. Consider yourselves warned!

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:
    By the time Djokovic retires he will be considered the greatest tennis player in history. I believe he has at least 5 more grand slam titles in him, and potentially 10 more if he stays healthy.

After the records he has broken this year already, I believe most people think right now he is the GOAT. If he wins the US Open -debate over.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come no one plays serve and volley anymore?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    How come no one plays serve and volley anymore?

Players today are better at returning serve, so a lot of balls would be at the feet of those constantly serving and volleying. Players still use it as an element of surprise, but not like McEnroe or Becker who were serving and volleying on almost every point.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add to what Canes said, there's also the fact that players serve harder now. They have less time to get to the net, which puts them in a vulnerable position.

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:

I would say he's already there. He's the only one of the "Big 3" to win the career Grand Slam twice. He'd almost certainly have 21 titles if he doesn't get DQ'ed at the US Open last year. He is the leader head-to-head against Federer and Nadal and has beaten Nadal 8 times on clay alone.

He's got the most Grand Slam titles (tied, of course), most weeks at #1 and has a winning record against the two guys he's tied for Grand Slams with. If he's not the greatest already then his competition is somebody like Pete Sampras or Rod Laver. IMHO, he's clearly ahead of Sampras. I would have to say he's ahead of Laver, too.

• Options

@Tabe said:

I would say he's already there. He's the only one of the "Big 3" to win the career Grand Slam twice. He'd almost certainly have 21 titles if he doesn't get DQ'ed at the US Open last year.

Yep. He could also easily have 22 right now if Wimbledon were held last year.

If he wins the Gold in Tokyo in a few weeks and the US Open, he will be the first male player in history to win the Golden slam.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

He is for sure awesome and on a historic run right now. He is playing at the highest level that anyone on the planet has ever played at. If he stays healthy for the next few years.....I don't know....27 GS's maybe. My goodness. I actually think he wins the US Open if he's healthy. He has to be off and a top ranked player would have to play their best to beat him. Those 2 scenarios rarely happen lately.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2022 6:57AM

He gets to play the Australian Open.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Denied entry by Australia.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@coolstanley said:

Denied entry by Australia.

and it's definitely because his refusal to get vaccinated is most definitely the result of a medial condition and totally unequivocally not because he doesn't want any doctor that isn't on his payroll having the ability to do anything nefarious with his blood which is absolutely unquestionably not riddled with various PEDs, as far as you know...

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 5:23PM

Longest sentence ever. I was gasping for breath whilst reading it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

100% Djokovic is a PED user, same with Nadal. It is as obvious as when Armstrong was dominating the Tour de France.

Robb

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

First they allow his exemption. He arrives and oops, wrong paperwork. Show me your papers!!! Off it the gulag for you sir.
    Unbelievable

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Australia has turned into a craphole.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I always loved Novak . Serbia arisen from the ashes of communism, stands by its son Novak Djokovic, against Australian evil

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

What Australian evil? Having visa requirements isn't evil. If someone doesn't like the requirements they don't have to go, pretty simple.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    What Australian evil? Having visa requirements isn't evil. If someone doesn't like the requirements they don't have to go, pretty simple.

Robb

So, you're against human rights. Gotcha :/

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

human rights? lol. No one has taken any single "human right" away from Novak. Visiting a country and playing tennis isn't a human right.

He didn't want to get the vaccine which is his right, though a selfish decision, and now he has to pay the consequence of his decision. I hope Australia sticks to its guns and kicks him out of the country. However, celebrities and athletes get special treatment so I won't be surprised if he receives some sort of made up exemption.

With folks like you we would still have smallpox and polio around.

Robb

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 3:50PM

Australia has been consistent protecting their Island during the pandemic. It's also one of the one of the hardest places to immigrate to. Takes a very high net worth and a squeaky clean past.

As Robb summed up Novak doesn't have to get vaxxed and Australia doesn't have to let him in. Good on you Australia. I don't let unvaxxed people in my house either.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I always loved Novak . Serbia arisen from the ashes of communism, stands by its son Novak Djokovic, against Australian evil

They need Novak more than he needs their tournament. I agree with you on Australia coolstanley, I won't get into politics on this forum but pm me anytime!

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 4:50PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Australia has been consistent protecting their Island during the pandemic. It's also one of the one of the hardest places to immigrate to. Takes a very high net worth and a squeaky clean past.

As Robb summed up Novak doesn't have to get vaxxed and Australia doesn't have to let him in. Good on you Australia. I don't let unvaxxed people in my house either.

m

Well then, it's a good thing you never invited me over. 😂

Edited to add: at least online is safe

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 5:18PM

^^^^^^

Sometimes even online is too close o:)

m

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 5:21PM

^^^^^^^^^

Edited to add imaginary halo angel emoji. 🤣🤣🤣

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

lol vaxxed people can spread too. I dont let ignorant people in my house.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    human rights? lol. No one has taken any single "human right" away from Novak. Visiting a country and playing tennis isn't a human right.

He didn't want to get the vaccine which is his right, though a selfish decision, and now he has to pay the consequence of his decision. I hope Australia sticks to its guns and kicks him out of the country. However, celebrities and athletes get special treatment so I won't be surprised if he receives some sort of made up exemption.

Robb

Big difference. These fake vaccines arnt working. Novak is not selfish. You dont know all the facts. He has natural immunity which is better than a shot which can lead to many health problems and an early death.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 9:16PM

@coolstanley said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

lol vaxxed people can spread too. I dont let ignorant people in my house.

Get out now then.

m

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Big difference. These fake vaccines arnt working. Novak is not selfish. You dont know all the facts. He has natural immunity which is better than a shot which can lead to many health problems and an early death.

What a load of selective crap.

m

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2022 4:51AM

Stop drinking the kool aid. Even Biden has now given up. We will live with this until it runs it’s course. No vaccines, no mask, no body armor is going to protect you from a virus.
    To steal a line from Money Ball. If he’s a good hitter, why doesn’t he hit?
    If masks and vaccines work , why aren’t they working?
    The debate on one of the trigger points was , My body, my choice. All the sudden that’s out the window? That’s called freedom of choice and no American should ever have to give up freedom to appease government officials
    We’ve been living a completely normal life for the last year. No masks, no show me your papers. Covid #’s are the same here as any highly restricted state.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Natural immunity? LOL, Joker has had COVID at least twice and every time the virus mutates to bypass his "natural immunity" he will catch it again. Folks that vaccinate and get a booster are vastly less likely to get the Omicron variant of COVID, folks that have "natural immunity" from a previous infection have almost no immunity against Omicron.

I think COVID is here to stay and I don't believe in vaccine mandates. However, the idea that the vaccines are "fake" just shows how misinformed you are. Over the summer hospitalizations for COVID ran over 90% unvaccinated to vaccinated.

FYI, vaccines don't lead to early death, COVID does. 800k+ Americans have already suffered that exact fate. It is amazing how much misinformation you managed to pack into one post but not particularly surprising, when you don't know what you are talking about you have to try and overwhelm with BS.

2dueces, so smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, chickenpox, rubella, rotavirus, hepatitis B, etc aren't viruses? All have effective vaccines, though perhaps you don't actually realize that because your news sources just spout disinformation 24-7. Now does that mean the COVID vaccine will be like the vaccines above or be more like the flu vaccine, only time will tell. But the idea that no vaccine can protect you from a virus is so laughably inaccurate it is crazy that you would actually write it down.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Natural immunity? LOL, Joker has had COVID at least twice.

Yep, and he's still living isn't he? Still the number 1 tennis player in the World. Why take all these so called vaccines when he has almost a 100% chance of surviving? Thats toxic waste going into your bloodstream with no way of getting it out. The shots are causing all kinds of health problems especially among women. And At least 69 athletes collapsed in
    one month, many dead.
    The reports of athletes who suddenly collapse have been increasing noticeably lately. Heart
    problems such as heart inflammation are often the cause – one of the known life-threatening
    side effects of Covid vaccines, which even the manufacturers themselves warn against.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody is all in on the talking points of a failing sales pitch...sigh

• Options

People keep catching covid after 3 shots. You get a polio shot, you don’t get polio, same for tetanus, chicken pox, measles and mumps, yet this ''vax,'' you get Covid, or as they now call it a break through case. And now they say it’s just makes the Covid less dangerous.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

The vaccine doesn't work, and of course the government’s media and the hysterical true believers will deny that fact and parrot in unison, "We are going to get less sick than the unvaccinated”.

Before the vaccine, the “official” recovery rate was 99.97%.

The actual recovery rate is much higher because their cherry picked input data excluded people that were never tested because they were asymptomatic or not sick enough to seek medical attention.

The official 0.03% death rate was inflated with people already at death's door from comorbidities, such as advanced old age or being obese sloths with pre-existing diabetic and cardio vascular issues.

The intellectually challenged sheep among us are very comfortable basking in the sheep pen hysteria offered by blindly accepting the official party line, so good luck trying to educate them.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 11:39PM

Good luck trying to change the minds of people who have their heels dug so far that that they take their medical advise from fringe web sites or social media. Many are the same folks that believe Jan 6 was a patriotic event, or Covid was a hoax and that the election was stolen. These "sheeple" tend to believe anything their information highway sells them. They have been so easily dupped which is the scariest part of the whole thing. I have no patience for conspiracy theorists.

The anti vaxx truthers will always cite "numbers" that some will have adverse reactions. Of course some will. A small number will die with complications. Of course they will readily try to explain away and dismiss the 850,0000 plus deaths and counting. Plus, who knows what the next variant will look like. The first 850,000 deaths could potentially be child's play. No one knows. Well maybe My Pillow Guy does.

Hospitals and front line workers are still over run in many cities large and small and are littered with non vaxxed folks clogging up the system. My Dr says vaxxed folks who encounter Covid generally don't have to go to the hospital or if they do they walk out. Un vaxxed folks have it much much worse. Of course all sources of medical information is not offered nor reported on fringe sites. They just cherry pick the info they want to push on their lemmings. Those lemmings then parrot, repeat and cut and paste their way to " their twisted truth".

As for Joker he was knowingly positive back in December. The next day he was doing pressers without a mask with others without a mask including teenagers. So yes he is selfish. Australia has every right to keep him out.

From a sold out all vaxxed sporting event we went to last night. Had a blast.

m

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much about this virus makes sense. 2020 the virus attacks. We have no vaccine. It attacks the vulnerable. Nursing homes are decimated. Those with comorbidities might as well kiss their ass goodbye. 2021 we have a vaccine. The most vulnerable are already dead. Omicron is highly contagious but symptoms are very mild. So why more deaths in 2021? What the hell are they dying from? Remember 15 days to stop the spread? Remember "masks will do no good, no reason to wear one? Followed by "I only said that because we don't want the public to cause a shortage. Medical professionals need them. "You should wear one, no wear two, maybe three with a plexiglass shield on your face as well. Then come mask mandates, lockdowns. The majority are vaccinated. 90% of elderly and those with life threatening conditions have taken the shot. Yet more deaths in 2021 than 2020. Remember when those vaccinated can not get nor spread the virus? How long did that last?Remember "This is a disease of the unvaccinated?" How long did that last? It went from 100% immunity if vaccinated to you won't get as sick. When this hit us it was a medical emergency and we quickly mobilized to fight it. Within a couple weeks it became a political issue to build up one party and demonize the other. To my way of thinking this is the biggest problem we must overcome.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick I'm so happy that you and your wife are vaxxed. We have a 92 year old family remember in hospice. Whether we wanted to or not we had no choice to be vaxxed and boostered if we wanted to visit her. It is what it is

m

• Options

Poof coming soon...surprised this lasted this evening.

Mark that Wings game was not all vaxed. Not a chance in motor city hell.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 8:26PM

And whatever all-in side of the house any of you are on this, you are dead wrong if you think there is no scientific argument otherwise and discredit others opinions on the matter as a hatred point of discourse. Childish

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has become more of a political issue than a matter of national health.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 9:00PM

@DrBuster said:

Poof coming soon...surprised this lasted this evening.

Mark that Wings game was not all vaxed. Not a chance in motor city hell.

The game was in California. Proof of being vaccinated was required for entry.

Good luck tomorrow!

mark

• Options

@Brick said:
    It has become more of a political issue than a matter of national health.

Sadly, it's been one since Feb 2020. Pandemics are never well timed but this one couldn't have come at a worst time in our nations history. It's very fragile.

m

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 10:06PM

@Brick said:
    It went from 100% immunity if vaccinated to you won't get as sick.

while we're not locked...

actually this one piece is incorrect. when the moderna and pfizer vax were EUA'd the effectiveness of each was stated as in the 90% area, which was said to be similar to the measles vax.

the reason we have covid outbreaks and not measles is the number of people that take the measles vaccine as kids as well as ... it looks like ... how long the measles vax lasts.

however, there was a measles outbreak a couple or so years ago in brooklyn by those proclaiming a religious exemption and who refused the vax for their kids.

the truthbug is out there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Brick said:
    It went from 100% immunity if vaccinated to you won't get as sick.

That "100% immunity" was literally never said even once.

• Options

He's been reinstated for now.

mark

This discussion has been closed.