Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

[card]score grading kiosk

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting concept.

not big on the crowdsource grading part and obviously condition of a card could literally change the second its removed. i could see this being used as a pre-grade system for a tpg. it would certainly speed things up. could be a huge moneymaker if you could pre-grade at say $5, then send it in for an additional fee if you liked the pregrade. all depends on how accurate the analytic software. certainly could solve the back log issue w getting rid of the junk subs…

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRH8enSFUh0/?utm_medium=copy_link

Comments

• Options

just the fact that they are using a v600 is what perked my interest.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    just the fact that they are using a v600 is what perked my interest.

That was the first thing I noticed. At least they have that going for them. Although scanning raw cards can be done by most any CIS scanner. But they brought out the king!

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I love the brainstorming that's going on. We live in interesting times.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 10:40PM

It's noteworthy that at this point, they're only letting you scan GRADED cards.

You don't send them the card - they just accept the scan thru their "scorekey." Eventually, these will be available for sale so that one can do this from their home with a good scanner or they may want you to have "their" brand/make?

CARDSCORE web LINK

Cardscore currently accepts sports cards that are in a standard sized encapsulation and have been professionally graded by one of the major grading companies. Additional offerings and products will be available in the future.

I was just at my LCS and the owner asked me what I thought about this and I told him I had never heard of it - I got the idea he thought this was AI driven.

Here's Cardscore's input about how grading occurs:

The Cardscore is an average of 4 scores that are based on the following criteria: Corners, Edges, Centering, and Surface. Each card is scored by 100 collectors prior to the official Cardscore being finalized.

Unless I'm missing something? This would be no more of value than if one posted here a really good scan of a card - the bigger the better and had a bunch of people here "re"grade your PSA graded card e.g.?

I like the video - if you have a Bose with your PC? Fire it up - kinda cool to listen while watching...

https://youtu.be/dvH4cH5rkn0

I couldn't find exact pricing on the web other than from the FAQ which quoted 10 to 100 bucks - I believe based on how fast one wants something evaluated?

Pricing is updated regularly to account for the number of cards in the queue to be scored by the collector community. Ultimately, the price depends upon how quickly you would like your card scored and we are building an algorithm to determine what the price should be. We offer different service levels which can expedite the process of scoring and the service levels currently range from $10-$100.

Cardscore's statement on the "primary purpose"

Cardscore is the world’s first crowdsourced card grading (scoring) platform! For the first time ever, sports card collectors have a chance to take part in the card grading process. It allows collectors to give their perspective on the condition of cards, and it allows card owners to have a specific metric provided for commonly used terms such as “great eye appeal”, “nicer”, or “undergraded” to differentiate between cards of the same professional grade.

My take? If they start having ungraded cards - I might give this whole thing a second look - not sure about the 10 spot?

Current Kiosk locations:

KIOSK LOCATIONS
    Bring your card to a kiosk today to submit and see what your fellow collectors think. A higher Cardscore can help increase the card's market value. See the list below of card shop locations where we currently have kiosks.

Grand Rapids , Michigan
    Legends Sports and Games, 3645 28th St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
    www.legendsfanshop.com

Dallas, Texas
    SMP Sports Cards, 1671 W Northwest Highway, Grapevine, TX 76051
    www.smpsportscards.com

Houston, Texas
    Triple Play Treasures, 2618 Chestnut Ridge Rd Kingwood, TX 77339
    www.tripleplaytreasures.com

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Southpaw Sports Cards and Collectibles, 5734 S Sherwood Forest Blvd, Suite A, Baton Rouge, LA 70816
    www.facebook.com/SouthpawSportsBR

Baltimore, Maryland
    Bel Air Sports Cards, 201 Gateway Dr, Bel Air, MD 21014
    www.belairsportscards.com

Mike
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Why do I feel that they just changed their business model to "grading" Graded cards. Could have sworn that a couple weeks ago it was to crowdsource grade raw cards.

Otherwise all this is is a popularity contest between slabs of the same type and grade. Kind of like where PWCC gives those A, E , and S grades for eye appeal.

DOA as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this has any merit - which I don’t think it does - PSA will surely offer this service since they already will have the cards scanned (as this is getting more and more what they are doing when they grade) and on a web-site people go to and use. I cannot see this taking off and if it somehow does cannot see CardScore being the company that is successful in it long term.

• Options

i think it has crazy potential on a grander scale. much like psa/dna quick opinion option. and would help with the backlog problem yet still making money off each card w little to no overhead. when card arrives in house pregraded, graders just need to confirm what genamint suggested. theyd profit $10 a card on psa 7s and never have to touch, log, research, insure, store or holder the damn thing thus alleviating 12+ month turnaround times for everyone else. then when in house, charge another $15 a pop to holder the card.

• Options

basically “as is” no. the idea and what it could be? no brainer.

solves a ton of problems while eliminating a ton of overhead.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah if you told me I could scan a raw card and submit it for $10 and have a hundred plus "crowd graders" tell me what the average grade is, I would do that all day.

Charging potentially $100 and ONLY accept slabbed cards, I'll pass.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

If the kiosk could also do some sort of quick search of completed auctions for scanned cards in that grading range - well now I think we have something in place with TREMENDOUS value to the world. Think of it just from the perspective of this... Every Tom Dick & Jane with a box of cards in a closet could quickly and relatively inexpensively learn that their junk wax is not only unworthy of PSA 10 in almost every instance, but also there is almost no market for it.

Every time a friend of a friend asks you to appraise their crappy cards, you could just send them to the nearest kiosk. Heck for that reason alone I'm all for it.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming that grading is done by looking at Centering, Corners, Edges and Surface, I can see the scans helping with all except the surface. It's difficult to grab that Surface quality in some cases. Small spider wrinkles or stains, or hairline surface imperfections are difficult to see in a scan.

Also, cards that are slightly just outside acceptable size requirements (either from the factory or trimmed) would be difficult to detect unless the technology has a way to determine overall card dimensions based on the scan.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 10:37AM

@DotStore said:
    Assuming that grading is done by looking at Centering, Corners, Edges and Surface, I can see the scans helping with all except the surface. It's difficult to grab that Surface quality in some cases. Small spider wrinkles or stains, or hairline surface imperfections are difficult to see in a scan.

Also, cards that are slightly just outside acceptable size requirements (either from the factory or trimmed) would be difficult to detect unless the technology has a way to determine overall card dimensions based on the scan.

Tech currently exists to do Surface better than humans but DEV and Gear related costs would be high. It won't be long though. Card grader as an occupation could go the way of bank teller? Now Comic Book Grading, given interiors must be examined with extreme care that could still be a decade away from near full or full automation.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    Yeah if you told me I could scan a raw card and submit it for $10 and have a hundred plus "crowd graders" tell me what the average grade is, I would do that all day.

Charging potentially $100 and ONLY accept slabbed cards, I'll pass.

im saying even get rid of the “crowdsource” bit. replace it w the genamint technology. theyd make hand over fist while decreasing actual cards physically received. an automated raw card review.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the idea and concept. Don’t think it will pick up very light creases or wrinkles though. Might not think it is a big deal but that changes a grade from a 4 to an 8. This example was a 4 because they said there was a light wrinkle on back that we could not find with a loupe, blacked out room, and LED light.

• Options

I'm gonna guess that eventually they'll be doing ungraded cards.

For it to get the thumbs up for a high end 9 e.g. a la PWCC - it would have to be widely respected - that might be a rough road to hoe?

I did see a company at our local show this weekend - who some may know - they're out of Dallas.

Dallas Card Investors:

Talked to the owner - was interesting.

He said they're a big submitter to PSA so they would never want to slab their own cards - this is more of a quick grade for 10 bucks and placed in a Beckett-like sealed semi-rigid.

I asked a few dealers and in our area (about the claim by the company) they like the fact that they can flip a raw 50 buck - good going rate - card for more in the 100 range if the card gets a 10 (from Dallas). That would hypothetically be a card if a PSA 10 might bring say $250 or more - possibly?

These guys hit all the bigs in Texas - will be at the National.

The owner expressed that his graders are good enough that their grades match PSA's with immense accuracy.

I watched - these guys are faster beating down grades than me knocking off a bag of Doritos.

And what they look like?

Now what I didn't like:

Didn't take a separate pic (wish I had) - they're selling their own "graded" cards.

I asked the owner if that was a conflict of interest? Answer: no (with some double talk about valuation) Me? Conflict of interest.

What I just gave was "their" take - not mine other than the conflict of interest.

So. Please go easy on the messenger.

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the deep dive Mike, I really appreciate the effort.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff Mike and thank you for sharing the details. That looks pretty cool.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 5:10PM

I'm in GR and one of my buddies is an owner of this....I think they have a nice business model for an ancillary service that they can expand over time to do more things with. I'm going to go put a couple in and see what happens...

EDIT- Of CardScore, not this clown patrol in Dallas

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 3:47PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284364745108?hash=item423575a994:g:rFAAAOSwGUNgz-rH
    Solid 6..
    Is it a 20 point scale or what does 6 mean?

• Options

Umm, that will be a miscut, not a 6, right? have a 65 Morgan rookie cut quite better than that was deemed a miscut and not graded

• Options
    edited July 13, 2021 4:58PM

Wow!

This is beyond deplorable.

I spoke with the owner and he said they were a top submitter to PSA and that the grades assigned totally matched those at PSA.

What?

In a parallel universe?

edit: thanx Nick and Keith

Mike
  • Options

what were they charging? Ill grade your cards as long as you pay for my real PSA sub. Nice

• Options

Well the 6 sold for the same as a Psa 1.5 that sold recently for 255. But less than a Psa 1 that sold for 325.00 . So that’s something

• Options

too bad the $2750 sticker wasn't bigger to cover the other 3 corners as well. we never woulda known! 😉

• Options

Wow that is awful. Dallas Card Investors grading - complete nonsense.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@weaselpuppy said:
    Umm, that will be a miscut, not a 6, right? have a 65 Morgan rookie cut quite better than that was deemed a miscut and not graded

yeah, that was my first thought...how would that not be a miscut, or if not, much worse than a 6 then...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright which one of you graded this a 6!!! There are only 2 of you!!

• Options

I think I would fire the guy on the right just for dirty sandals with khakis. That's worse than that 6 grade!

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Alright which one of you graded this a 6!!! There are only 2 of you!!

view from the other side of the table:

• Options
    bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the great posts about this, Mike.

I know that took some time and I appreciate the effort.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2021 1:31PM

There was a thread where the VSC80 was discussed before.

I could see a future where defects are classified in four ways:

Visible with the naked eye.

Visible with magnification.

Visible with technology.

Altered.

If you truly cannot see the Mantle defect with the naked eye or magnification, and it is not due to alteration (the video says the card would get a numerical grade indicating SGC did not think the card was altered), I would pay up for a card that you can only see a defect with technology. When this technology becomes the norm - think we will get a report showing the defects and a grade. The defect report and how they are described will have a big impact on value. A picture like Mike screen capped above in the report should become standard. For this card I would say as a grader “there is significant surface damage to this card that is not visible with the naked eye or magnification, but is exposed with video spectral comparator technology”. I will buy these cards at a discount any time they present themselves. The right 5 with a report like this could outsell a 7 if others feel the way I do.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I'm all for a scanner detecting proper sizing, but all other defects should be held for a human eye to detect, after all it is humans who are buying and enjoying these things