Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A little help on this Venetian Ducat

I recently purchased this gold Venetian duct as part of a large group of coins, so I didn't really check it out until after I got home. I noticed that some of the details are concerned. The reverse doesn't really match up with other examples I can find online. The reverse figure doesn't really look like Jesus and the reverse lettering just sort of looks like gibberish. Has anyone seen these before? I don't want to speculate too much....

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Comments

• Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

There are many imitative issues of these. Most commonly they are from Chios, but there are also imitations from Levant, the Roman Republic, the Knights of St. John, etc. There are even more modern Indian imitations but these are significantly less collectable than their European counterparts.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Top50SetBuilder said:
    There are many imitative issues of these. Most commonly they are from Chios, but there are also imitations from Levant, the Roman Republic, the Knights of St. John, etc. There are even more modern Indian imitations but these are significantly less collectable than their European counterparts.

I've been looking at imitations, but haven't found one yet that's stylistically similar to this one.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Yea I agree. I dont recognize any of the letters as Greek, and the Doge's name is largely off flan which makes attribution difficult.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭