Home Q & A Forum
Options

Why is there no manufacturing year on the holder itself ?

IKUIKU Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
edited July 8, 2021 1:19AM in Q & A Forum

Why there is no indication on holder when was it graded ?
I think holdered coins' grade should be valid for only like 5 years and then it had to be reinspected if grade has gone lower due to: I don't know all things happen like: sneaking environment damage, air moisture and such...

I don't see how old holdered coins can still maintain their grade if not correctly maintained.

Similar like holder's expiry date.
Plastic gets weaker and brittle when it ages and lets air in easier.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes no sense. Reslab every five years? Extreme conditions can in theory impact coins or the slab, but the damage should be obvious.

As for plastic getting "weaker" as it ages, that is not necessarily true, and most slabs are not guaranteed to be air tight even when new.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2021 3:44AM

I bought this week a +2004 mfg. NGC holdered "MS-64" 1539241-044 Morgan 1921 which contained bad PVC residue damage.
    Some people are saying that when NGC sealed and evaluated the coin back in 2004-2008 PVC residue was not visible could this be correct ? So PVC residue crystallized over time 10-15 years and grew more visible ? Can this be true ?
    https://ngccoin.com/boards/topic/425216-pvc-in-ngc-holder-ms-64-1921-morgan/

• Options

Of course. PVC damage shows up later.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2021 4:19AM

Is there no special CSI: UV color light which would show PVC residue on coin ?
    So PCGS or NGC have no equipment to see early PVC residue infestation before sealing the holder ?
    People have to wait like +10 years and prey that no PVC green ever comes to the holdered coin ?
    That means holdered coins are not very assuring.

1.) So if one ships a coin in PVC flip to PCGS. PVC residue lays on the coin's surface resting.
    2.) Then PCGS grades and encapsulates the coin as MS-70.
    3.) +10 year later green PVC goo appears on a holdered coin and eats it.
    Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) releases hydrochloric acid (HCl) during its degradation.

• Options

I don't know if a UV light that can reveal PVC exists, but the answers to your other questions are "yes".

You can avoid this by not using PVC flips and giving your coins an acetone soak before submitting. Or, you can pay for conservation before slabbing and they will do the contaminant removal. Also, PVC is not so destructive that brief or even short term contact will be a problem.

There are several issues that can manifest themselves later on, including PVC, improper chemical cleaning, fingerprints, and milk spots.

It seems that you are under the impression that once a coin is slabbed it is protected from any effects of aging in perpetuity. This is not the case and in reality never could be.

You started off by suggesting that coins be reslabbed every five years. But, to alleviate your concerns, what you should probably be doing is buying only older slabs. Any issues presumably would have already appeared.

For example, I have a slabbed mint state Morgan Dollar that I bought 30 years ago. It looks the same now as it did when I bought it, so it appears to be stable.