Home Q & A Forum
Options

How do I submit SMS coins to ensure they get labeled SMS?

Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

I recently returned from my sons house in Washington, bringing with me 4 Special Mint sets. I would like to submit several of the coins, but don't seem to be able to find any instructions on how to ensure they get labeled SMS.

I know someone here has submitted SMS coins, so do I need any special procedures for them?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Bruce

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good chance if they look good enough that you are willing to have them graded PCGS would catch it.

The answer to your question is......
    As an example a 1965 Kennedy Half business strike has a coin number of 6708
    The 1965 Kennedy Half SMS has a coin number of 6845
    If you look up the proper number that you are supposed to fill in on the form that should take care of it.

• Options

OK, great! Forgot all about the numbers. They do look good enough, but wasn't sure if I had to somehow call them out and they'd take my word for it or leave them in the pliofilm holders.

Thank you!

Bruce

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruce7789 said:
    OK, great! Forgot all about the numbers. They do look good enough, but wasn't sure if I had to somehow call them out and they'd take my word for it or leave them in the pliofilm holders.

Thank you!

Bruce

If these coins are currently in pliofilm packets, I humbly suggest submitting them that way. Just be sure to package them securely (e.g., bubble wrap).

In short, submitting these coins in pliofilm only 'encourages' the grader to bestow the SMS 'label/coin #' you desire.

If you do not want every coin 'graded/encapsulated', simply convey this via the submission form. Specifically, list the coins that you do want graded in section #7, and advise them via a 'note' to return the rest of the coins ungraded.

Good luck with your submission. :)

• Options

My mistake, Brought back about 20 old Proof and Mint sets and some of them are in Pliofilm packages. the SMS coins are in the original Hard packages labeled "Special mint Sets" and have been in the SMS boxes for about 50 years.

My screwup, and it seems that I need a vacation to recover from my vacation ........ :D

Am kind of surprised that the 1954 proof set is in the hard package and labeled as such, but the 1955 proof set is in Pliofilm inside a box.

Am thinking about having all the SMS sets encapsulated as sets, and they are all high enough grade that it would be worth doing, maybe not financially, but don't intend to sell them anyway, they would go with the rest of the coins to my son as complete SMS sets in PCGS holders. Or maybe I just ought to leave well enough alone and leave them like they are.

Any thoughts?

Bruce

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 1:34PM

@Bruce7789 said:
    [...]
    Am thinking about having all the SMS sets encapsulated as sets, and they are all high enough grade that it would be worth doing, maybe not financially, but don't intend to sell them anyway, they would go with the rest of the coins to my son as complete SMS sets in PCGS holders. Or maybe I just ought to leave well enough alone and leave them like they are.

Any thoughts?

Bruce

It sounds like these are ultimately going to end up with your son. (Hopefully, in the distant, distant future. ;) )

What would he prefer?

Edited to add:
    Do not know if you have seen it, but here is an interesting article about 1965-1967 SMS coins from the PCGS website.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect I don't understand why entire sets would be slabbed.

If, and that is a big if, there are slab-worthy coins among your sets, why pay to slab the others? Why not hand down original sets and invest the money you would have spent to slab common coins? You could then hand down the same coins plus 1000s of dollars in investment returns.

If you pay to slab the average coins, some day someone will wonder why in the world you did that.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruce7789 "maybe I just ought to leave well enough alone and leave them like they are."

Good idea ;)

• Options

@JBK said:
    If you pay to slab the average coins, some day someone will wonder why in the world you did that.

Well, I think that some are worth having slabbed, but am going to just leave them in sets as they are. As far as the above statement, why should I really care what someone will think about it. It had just crossed my mind to leave a full set of PCGS slabs of 1965 SMS, 1966 SMS and 1967 SMS and thought I'd bounce it around. As far as the money it would have cost, it's petty cash compared to some of my other fiasco's...... :)

Thanks for the input!

Bruce

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruce7789 said:

@JBK said:

As far as the above statement, why should I really care what someone will think about it.

You absolutely don't and perhaps shouldn't care about it. I am just predicting what will happen. :p

There are lots of reasons aside from value to slab a coin. "Family heirloom" is as good a reason as any.