Home Sports Talk
Options

English bettor turns $15.50 into $1.36 million

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 6, 2021 3:36PM in Sports Talk

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/london-bettor-one-million-parlay-harris-english

i still can't wrap my head around him nailing the winner in 4 golf tournaments. in order to do that you need the stars to align........then align again...........and again............and again..........and again..........and again.........and again........and again........and again.........on and on about 100 more times

i can promise you the very last leg -- Harris English winning the Travelers Championship -- ruined multiple undergarments. it was an eight(!)-hole playoff that could have gone either way a number of times. for example, check this putt out. if it had dropped, $15.50 would have turned into $0.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmMOKBRdzg

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? What??

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is insane, are you kidding me?

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enter Steve in five, four, three, two

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 12:48PM

@perkdog said:

Huh? What??

perk i know you're familiar with 6-team parlays, but this was referred to as a 6-leg parlay because it included golf (individual sport)

so this dude put up $15.50 to win $1.36 mil. of course all 6 "legs" had to happen for him to cash. 2 were soccer games, one of which was a dog. he hit them both.

but then you get to the golf portion, and this is what's completely staggering.

he picked the winner of every notable golf tournament that took place last weekend -- the regular PGA Tour event, the Champions (old farts), LPGA (women), and the European tournament across the pond. picking the winner of a single tournament is a task. i play DK contests every week and even when i put together three or four 6-member teams i miss the guy who comes in first more often than i hit. so for this guy to pluck the winner of all four tournaments (remember, as many as 150+ players each) is why he got paid off to the tune of seven figures.

edit: but the final "leg" is probably what almost caused him to have a heart attack before he got paid off. it was a sudden-death playoff between the guy he bet on and the guy in the clip up above. they kept tying, and it wasn't until the 8th playoff hole that his guy (English) made a birdie to make him rich. but along the way this bettor dodged more bullets than Neo from The Matrix, like the clip up above. that ball was a nano inch away from disappearing and thus rendering his parlay worthless.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

Huh? What??

perk i know you're familiar with 6-team parlays, but this was referred to as a 6-leg parlay because it included golf (individual sport)

so this dude put up $15.50 to win $1.36 mil. of course all 6 "legs" had to happen for him to cash. 2 were soccer games, one of which was a dog. he hit them both.

but then you get to the golf portion, and this is what's completely staggering.

he picked the winner of every notable golf tournament that took place last weekend -- the regular PGA Tour event, the Champions (old farts), LPGA (women), and the European tournament across the pond. picking the winner of a single tournament is a task. i play DK contests every week and even when i put together three or four 6-member teams i miss the guy who comes in first more often than i hit. so for this guy to pluck the winner of all four tournaments (remember, as many as 150+ players each) is why he got paid off to the tune of seven figures.

edit: but the final "leg" is probably what almost caused him to have a heart attack before he got paid off. it was a sudden-death playoff between the guy he bet on and the guy in the clip up above. they kept tying, and it wasn't until the 8th playoff hole that his guy (English) made a birdie to make him rich. but along the way this bettor dodged more bullets than Neo from The Matrix, like the clip up above. that ball was a nano inch away from disappearing and thus rendering his parlay worthless.

Thank you for that explanation, that is so insane I file it under “Just meant to be” lol.