Home Q & A Forum

Possible I received a different coin than submitted?

ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 6, 2021 12:14PM in Q & A Forum

I submitted a 1973 S proof Jefferson nickel under the Mint Error submission. The coin was unlike anything I had seen before, it had 2 full rims around the outside and the coin had been stuck with too much pressure or without a collar as the edge was wider on top and bottom than in the middle (concave edge). I submitted the coin as a mint error and it was with company nearly 2 months, I got the TrueView images back last week and they did not show the second rim around the coin, I thought that maybe it was edited out of the photo. I received the coin back today and the second rim and concave edge are not there. I believe this is a different coin than the one I submitted. I did not pay much for the coin, so I'm not out much from that, but it was nearly $100 to submit a mint error, and I got back a proof Nickle worth basically $8 per the PCGS price guide. If there had been no error, I would not have submitted it at all, and certainly not for mint error service. I knew there was a risk it would not have the mint error attributed to the coin, or it could have come back with no error, but the coin appears to have been swapped for a standard proof Nickle. Has anyone heard of anything like this, is it possible there could be another explanation?

Unfortunately I only have 1 bad picture of the coin I submitted, is it possible I'm overlooking something?

Here is the coin I received back

Comments

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

This is from the TrueView

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the same coin. The 3 spots under the chin show in all 3 photos, there is also a spot behind his head. ;)

I could be wrong, it is a little hard to tell from your very small ungraded photo.

Good point, does appear to be the same based on the markings, and I that picture is terrible, but there was more metal on this coin and it's not there now, I wonder if it was set in some sort of ring that they removed?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very weird. Agree it's the same coin, but... :#

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles "I wonder if it was set in some sort of ring that they removed?"

I don't think PCGS would ever remove anything from the coin without being requested to do so. ;)

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I don't think PCGS would ever remove anything from the coin without being requested to do so. ;)

I didn't think they would either that's why I was so surprised to see whatever it was missing when the coin was returned. I did handle the coin before submitting (with gloves) it was not loosely in some holder, and you can't tell from the photo, the extra ring was wider in one side than the other. If something was removed, I don't know how that would have been done. I had 3 submissions shipped at the same time, a regular, modern, and mint error. I had the modern returned to me before this even went to the grading stage. It was nearly a month longer for this coin. Just so confused what happened.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it fell off in transit your them?

I guess you'll need to contact them, the sooner the better so they might still recall.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m probably wrong, but the blurry picture sort of looks like the coin was in a Kointain. I used to put Kointains on Jefferson Proof nickels before putting them in Dansco folders and you could barely tell they were on the coin except for that ring around the rim.

Mr_Spud

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin

Was the coin in a holder while that blurry photo was taken?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, a rims anomaly of that magnitude is nothing.

It should have never been sent in

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I’m probably wrong, but the blurry picture sort of looks like the coin was in a Kointain. I used to put Kointains on Jefferson Proof nickels before putting them in Dansco folders and you could barely tell they were on the coin except for that ring around the rim.

I was thinking the same about he coin possibly being in a Kointain. In addition to that, I wouldn’t expect a cost of “nearly $100 to submit a mint error”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.