Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1936 Jesse Owens Olympic tickets - question about stubs vs full ticket

jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭

I have 2 tickets from the 1936 Olympics that have been graded by PSA as stubs with a condition of 1.5. They are full tickets with the corner ripped to cancel them. I have seen several stubs on eBay that are missing this entire section and then graded much higher.

Do you think PSA mislabeled these as stubs and they should be full tickets, with the low grade because of the missing corner?

If they are really considered stubs shouldn't they be graded higher than the stubs that are missing that part of the ticket completely?

I am showing the tickets here along with images of other graded tickets I have seen on eBay.

Thanks for any insight you have.

-Jason

Comments

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Either for sale??

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭

These belong to my mom. Could pass along any offers. I have not been able to find any comps on these 2. I have seen some for sale of his 3rd and 4th gold medals, but these are the more important 2. And, I still think these should be considered low grade Full tickets.

• Options

This was a good thread to find - I've been wondering how torn tickets would get graded.
    I run into the same problem with Olympian Panini cards (residue / glue versus not).

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you should message them in the customer service portal. They probably had no idea what one looked like and maybe you were one of the first ones, and they thought your's was a stub. The examples you are showing both have higher cert #'s, so were graded after yours.

As for if all of them are stubs and should one ticket with more "panels" grade higher that one with less, the answer would be no. Just like with world series tickets that are missing the "rain check" panel, PSA only grades based on what is in front of them, not what is missing, UNLESS that changes the item, say if there was a perforation in the middle of the ticket and you only had half. It is up to the collector to decide a value and desirability of one verse the other.

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Nice stubs, historic indeed. But my opinion , only personal opinion, is not about the quality of the stubs. Is about PSA labels. As I said and it is my opinion, the remarks in the labels about Jesse Owens, medals and type of competition, are an xtra info truth , but that is not the place for informing that, since the stubs, does not have that info. May be a letter of Authenticity, with that info can be ok, but no in a Grading label. During that day hundred of athletes, from all over the word, won medals, and the label is remaking something happened after tickets were printed. I saw similar tickets of important events like. Mickey Manttle HR 500, and the ticket is only graded, may be some have the info, but not all. Even nobody can guarantee, the original owner of the ticket assisted to de event.

• Options

Regarding whether it should be classified as either a full ticket or a stub, I'd agree with the comment above that you should contact PSA (and hope you receive a response!) and ask them how they made the determination. I'd guess that, upon seeing part (albeit a small one) of the ticket torn off, they're now viewing the ticket as a "stub," assuming that it was torn that way by the ticket-taker. In this light, it really doesn't matter if the ticket-taker tore that entire section off or just part of it; it would be viewed as a used ticket and thus it's a "stub."

Regarding the grade, those pinholes (or staple holes) near the bottom edge are certainly responsible for dramatically affecting the grade. Regardless if the ticket was otherwise in perfect condition, four or five pinholes will automatically make the ticket extremely low technical grade. (Refer to the PSA ticket grading guidelines.). In your situation, though, you may be able to fix this by removing that bottom portion of the ticket. Notice in the PSA 8 ticket you posted, it doesn't have that extra strip on the end (in which yours has the pinholes). I'd guess that your pinholes are actually staple holes, and the ticket was stapled into a booklet along this strip at one point. And it looks like the strip has a perforation that you could fold and tear off. If you remove that, then all the staple holes are gone and voila, the remaining ticket is now in much better technical condition.

Like another commenter said, PSA just evaluates whatever's in front of them. If a ticket has an extra section that has multiple holes in it, well, it's part of the ticket and the grade will be discounted because of the holes. But if that extra section isn't there, then you have a better looking ticket. I'm not for "doctoring" tickets in any way, but that strip was almost certainly part of the ticket only to have the ability to staple it into a booklet. If the person who attended this event had ripped the ticket out of his booklet, that strip would've been gone then and there and this wouldn't even be an issue. Of course, there are no guarantees what your tickets would grade if you remove that strip, but it would give you a much better shot at getting a higher grade.

• Options

@KnightRider said:
    Regarding whether it should be classified as either a full ticket or a stub, I'd agree with the comment above that you should contact PSA (and hope you receive a response!) and ask them how they made the determination. I'd guess that, upon seeing part (albeit a small one) of the ticket torn off, they're now viewing the ticket as a "stub," assuming that it was torn that way by the ticket-taker. In this light, it really doesn't matter if the ticket-taker tore that entire section off or just part of it; it would be viewed as a used ticket and thus it's a "stub."

Regarding the grade, those pinholes (or staple holes) near the bottom edge are certainly responsible for dramatically affecting the grade. Regardless if the ticket was otherwise in perfect condition, four or five pinholes will automatically make the ticket extremely low technical grade. (Refer to the PSA ticket grading guidelines.). In your situation, though, you may be able to fix this by removing that bottom portion of the ticket. Notice in the PSA 8 ticket you posted, it doesn't have that extra strip on the end (in which yours has the pinholes). I'd guess that your pinholes are actually staple holes, and the ticket was stapled into a booklet along this strip at one point. And it looks like the strip has a perforation that you could fold and tear off. If you remove that, then all the staple holes are gone and voila, the remaining ticket is now in much better technical condition.

Like another commenter said, PSA just evaluates whatever's in front of them. If a ticket has an extra section that has multiple holes in it, well, it's part of the ticket and the grade will be discounted because of the holes. But if that extra section isn't there, then you have a better looking ticket. I'm not for "doctoring" tickets in any way, but that strip was almost certainly part of the ticket only to have the ability to staple it into a booklet. If the person who attended this event had ripped the ticket out of his booklet, that strip would've been gone then and there and this wouldn't even be an issue. Of course, there are no guarantees what your tickets would grade if you remove that strip, but it would give you a much better shot at getting a higher grade.

Thank you for response and well thought-out comments. I appreciate it.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Crack it out, tear the perfs at each end, resubmit as a newly submitted "stub".

your choice is 1.5 as is (stub) , or possible 8-9 as a newly submitted stub.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@jasoneggert said:
    I have 2 tickets from the 1936 Olympics that have been graded by PSA as stubs with a condition of 1.5. They are full tickets with the corner ripped to cancel them. I have seen several stubs on eBay that are missing this entire section and then graded much higher.

Do you think PSA mislabeled these as stubs and they should be full tickets, with the low grade because of the missing corner?

If they are really considered stubs shouldn't they be graded higher than the stubs that are missing that part of the ticket completely?

I am showing the tickets here along with images of other graded tickets I have seen on eBay.

Thanks for any insight you have.

-Jason

Cool tickets! Here’s my thoughts:

They are correctly labeled stubs because they were torn and used to get into the event.

As stubs they are also correctly graded on the condition the tickets are in because of the tear and wear.

The stub label hurts the price of the ticket but the grade doesn’t affect it that much compared to your 3rd medal example because these are fairly rare.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

Does anybody have any idea about value? I can't find any comps. Thanks.