Home Sports Talk
Options

Best home runs you ever saw.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reggie Jackson 1971 All Star game Detroit

George Brett off Goose Gossage in Yankee stadium upper deck.

Red Sox four in a row off Yankees at Fenway.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

1974 I think. George Foster at the plate. First pitch he swings and misses. His swing looked like a 5 year old whiffing at tee ball. Second pitch same as the first. I think I could have looked better swinging and missing. Next pitch he connected. A towering home run that appeared to fly out of the stadium still climbing and that ball is probably still in orbit.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one I'll never forget.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGdfv13lwQ

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killebrew, most of them.

Jim Thome hit one at Target field a few years ago that was crushed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson’s lead off homer in the All Star game.
    Bo also ranks #1 in throws to home. Easy video to find. Incredible

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 6:28AM

Was at Bob Horners 4hr game. Back then my dad and his sales buddies had season tix behind home plate. We went to that game for our rotation. Went to a TON of games back then, they had season tix to everything - Braves, Hawks, Falcons.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

In person, it was game 1 of the 1980 WS. Phillies fell behind 4-2 and impending doom seemed to set in.

Then Bake McBride stepped up and hit a beautiful three run homer. Phillies took the lead 5-4, and every Phillies fan then knew that it was possible to win not only this game, but the series.

That home run created the loudest, most enthusiastic crowd noise I've ever heard in person.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of Iconic homeruns. But one sticks out in my mind from power to power. Randy Johnson threw a ball that was probably a 100 mph. Mark McGwire timed it perfect! I've never seen a ball thrown that fast , and get absolutely crushed! It was a blink of an eye deal.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fan Appreciation day, 1962. Last home game. My 1st ever baseball game. Dad had tickets close in.
    St Louis beat the Dodgers and that game was 2hrs ahead and done. That score shows 'F' on the old scoreboard. Stadium goes CRAZY. I remember asking DAD why were people cheering. I had no idea. Giants have to win to tie so they can go to a one game playoff.
    Russ Hodges & Lon Simmons are the radio announcers and probably 10%+ of the fans in the stadium are playing KSFO and the radio broadcast was loud in the stands. Both those guys could make a washing machine on spin cycle sound exciting. Both could call a home run as soon as it left the bat. Bye, Bye Baby.
    Mays pops one over the right field fence, barely. 2-1 Giants. Stadium goes CRAZY.
    8 games later Bobby Richardson catches McCovey's line drive and the story ends.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I was at the 1985 All-Star home run contest, and Eddie Murray hit a blast down the right-field line that hit the speaker hanging from the ceiling. I don't believe that had been done before or after.

While not a home run, I was also in the Metrodome when they retrieved a ball that went through a hole in the roof by Dave Kingman of the Athletics. It was ruled a ground-rule double. While not a home run, it was an all-time high for an infield pop fly. They dropped the ball in between innings. Why they sent a guy up there to even do that, blew my mind at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NtWk1vzLO8

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 8:24AM

I was at the 1971 AS Game when Reggie launched his HR. My Mom was supposed to go with my Dad but they got into a fight and I went instead. I didn't feel bad about it at all

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 8:48AM

Only two that I can think of. Roberto Clemente hit a grand slam against the Dodgers in 1971? For some reason that one stands out in my mind. But.....the best home run that I ever saw was the one that hit the right field foul pole at Dodger Stadium and the ball bounced back and landed under my seat! I thought, WOW! a souviner ball, for ME! As I reached down to pick it up.......some total jerk threw himself under my seat and grabbed it. What a DOPE! I was only around 11 years old and I think that event was when I started to suspect that adults aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2021 8:47AM

Oh, yea. I think I saw Willie Stargell hit one out of Dodger Stadium. Into the parking lot. Can't be sure but I think it happened. He did hit a homer in that game for sure. Long ago.
    Memories get fuzzy.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭

August 10, 1980 in the top of the 15th inning of a regular scheduled double header Dan Meyer hit a solo home run as the
    Mariners beat the A's in Oakland 2-1,

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 10:30AM

was lucky to see some good ones.

in no particular order:

was in denver to see a show and got to see bonds last homerun the next day. then went to san fran to see the same band a few days later and got to see his last at bat. best part of the trip was that the bonds games were not planned.

in 2004 i had a place in nyc. had yankee season tickets but primarily to get yanks/redsox tix. needless to say i got first crack at postseason. several memorable dingers but hard to top the comeback w damons grandslam.

in may ‘18, was in dc and got comped seats almost on field from mgm. the stars had aligned and witnessed juan sotos first start, first at bat, first pitch, first homerun. loved the guy ever since. started pc’ing his cards that day. ridiculous what they are worth today.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because of my age, Chris Chambliss hitting the game winner in 1976 against the Royals.

I also remember watching Ron Santo hit one out on Waveland and it bounced up and broke a window in the apartments. Got a big HEY HEY from Jack Brickhouse.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Forgot about 715 from Hammerin Hank

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 2:52PM

For me it's gotta be Tyler Naquin's inside the park walk off ............August 19th, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d21KhbC8DDU

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited July 6, 2021 1:57PM

O.K., I got it!.....The BEST home run I ever saw was hit by my son. He was a very, very good hitter but an even better closing relief pitcher. In his senior year in high school he never got to take the field as a position player. He only came in as a relief pitcher. But....for the last game of his senior year the coach decided to have a "Senior Game." Only seniors would play. In his first at bat he hit a monster shot over the center field fence. That was his only at bat of the season. After that he walked into the dugout, threw his jersey at the coach and left the park. I was proud of him. Best homer I ever saw! He later played Division 1 ball at a major University as a closer and pinch hitter. His two best friends made it to the majors. Kansas City, Chicago Cubs, and Oakland. He wanted to be in the Big Leagues if only for a "Cup of Coffee." But as he honestly said, "Dad, those guys are just better than me." He lit the fireworks last Sunday. It was a blast!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best home run for me is by Keith Lockhart (Braves) vs Ugueth Urbina (Expos) in 1997 at the newly opened Turner Field. It was very very unlikely as Lockhart was a light hitting second baseman and Urbina, at the time, was one of the dominant closers in the game. So with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with my Braves down 1 and one runner on base up to bat came the light hitting Mr Lockhart. At that moment I yelled out Lockhart wins it with a line drive homer over the UPS ad in right field. Everyone around me heard this and I mean everyone. So what does Mr Lockhart do? He turns on a 100 mph Urbina 2 seamer and lines it over that UPS sign! Game over! Everyone around me was coming over and hi fiving me! It was an awesome moment!

• Options

Duane Kuiper off the Stone pony

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was a minor league game. Joey Gallo, all 19 years of him, hit a home run over the light pole in RF at Spokane's Avista Stadium. EASILY over the light pole.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I was at the 1971 AS Game when Reggie launched his HR. My Mom was supposed to go with my Dad but they got into a fight and I went instead. I didn't feel bad about it at all

m

You seen Clemente?

• Options
    edited July 6, 2021 11:54PM

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You seen Clemente?

I did but really dont remember much. It was the only time I saw him play outside of a few games on TV unfortunately towards the end of his career.

As a young pup I remember Vida Blue starting that game and Mickey Lolich closing. Blue with the win and Lolich with the save. Ironically they finished 1-2 for the Cy Young that year. Norm Cash started with Kaline and Freehan as reserves. Billy Martin was a coach on that AS team ( Tigers Manager) there must have been 20+ future HOFer's that game.

Living in Detroit I only really saw National Leaguers on TV in the All Star Game and the Playoffs and the World Series. ( and the playoffs were a new thing)

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hello. Did you get full view of the swing and hit and then see it hit the light tower? The camera work was not good on that blast. I honestly believe given all factors that Reggie's shot in Detroit may be the biggest blast in history. Everything about it just stands out. The way it sounded, trajectory, the quickness in which it gets out of view and the fact that it wasn't down the line...it was right center. And it was REGGIE. By the way "I'm jealous of you."

• Options
    edited July 7, 2021 12:31AM

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hello. Did you get full view of the swing and hit and then see it hit the light tower? The camera work was not good on that blast. I honestly believe given all factors that Reggie's shot in Detroit may be the biggest blast in history. Everything about it just stands out. The way it sounded, trajectory, the quickness in which it gets out of view and the fact that it wasn't down the line...it was right center. And it was REGGIE. By the way "I'm jealous of you."

We sat on the third base line and got a great look at it. The crack of the bat was unmistakable. It sounded like a gun shot. Then silence. Then audible gasps. Then the roar. It was a Roy Hobbs moment before Roy Hobbs. It was high arching shot but got on so fast. It just disappeared. Wasn't sure where it landed at the time

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You seen Clemente?

I did but really dont remember much. It was the only time I saw him play outside of a few games on TV unfortunately towards the end of his career.

As a young pup I remember Vida Blue starting that game and Mickey Lolich closing. Blue with the win and Lolich with the save. Ironically they finished 1-2 for the Cy Young that year. Norm Cash started with Kaline and Freehan as reserves. Billy Martin was a coach on that AS team ( Tigers Manager) there must have been 20+ future HOFer's that game.

Living in Detroit I only really saw National Leaguers on TV in the All Star Game and the Playoffs and the World Series. ( and the playoffs were a new thing)

m

You still seen a ton brother!👍 That's awesome 👍

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

We sat on the third base line and got a great look at it. The crack of the bat was unmistakable. It sounded like a gun shot. Then silence. Then audible gasps. Then the roar. It was a Roy Hobbs moment before Roy Hobbs. It was high arching shot but got on so fast. It just disappeared. Wasn't sure where it landed at the time

m

That is awesome. Thank you for that description of the blast. What an awesome event for you to have been at. Lots of great ones hit HRs in that game. I was born in 1971 so I never saw it live. I wish there was a better camera angle. No one had a video camera with them. No one??? I have never seen any different footage of that HR.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

That is awesome. Thank you for that description of the blast. What an awesome event for you to have been at. Lots of great ones hit HRs in that game. I was born in 1971 so I never saw it live. I wish there was a better camera angle. No one had a video camera with them. No one??? I have never seen any different footage of that HR.

Ha I saw it live but had to practically wait for the internet to be invented to see it again

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

I'm showing my age here, but I saw Richie (later Dick) Allen hit a ball out of the park.....dead center field 447 feet at Connie Mack stadium over the wall which was about 20 feet high! Didn't realize the magnitude at the time, was a fairly young boy. I believe it was estimated over 500 feet. Anyone else out there recall that one. Also saw him clear the ALPO sign in left field.