Home Sports Talk
Options

machu picchu

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't want to sabotage dd's thread with an avalanche of pics

almost ten years to the day (weird) my dad went on a mission trip to Peru with his church, hit up MP while there, and took these

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s incredible. Bucket list for me.
    How did ancient people, supposedly living in caves, carry 10 ton stones up the side of a 14 thousand foot mountain? Better question is why? I reference my thoughts on ancient civilizations having help.

Not to take away from your fathers incredible journey. You’ll have to tell us his thoughts.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The condos with that breathtaking view sure must have been expensive. :)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful pictures, it's just amazing how the Incas were able to build a city in that location, it just blows my mind every time I see it.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    That’s incredible. Bucket list for me.
    How did ancient people, supposedly living in caves, carry 10 ton stones up the side of a 14 thousand foot mountain? Better question is why? I reference my thoughts on ancient civilizations having help.

Not to take away from your fathers incredible journey. You’ll have to tell us his thoughts.

<<< How did ancient people, supposedly living in caves, carry 10 ton stones up the side of a 14 thousand foot mountain? >>>

They had no time schedule. It's amazing what hard work, every day, with enough people can accomplish. This is one illustration of it.

<<< Better question is why? >>>

For survival purposes. Tribal wars all around the world were quite vicious back then. This tribe's leaders, probably after another brutal war, decided to use the highest ground possible for their new living quarters, and so they did.

Back then they knew that using the high ground was always the best defensive position. Even with today's modern warfare, that tactic is still used by army commanders whenever possible.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos of an amazing place.

The name is interesting and it makes me wonder whether any fans of Pokemon Go ever went on a hunt to Machu Picchu to find and capture the most rare of all Pokemon, .................................... the "Macchu Picchu Pikachu".

:)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2021 2:16PM

Wonderful photos! I've always wanted to go there.....but.....I can only enjoy mountain scenery looking up from the bottom. Altitude sickness is a real thing. My loss.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

You’ll have to tell us his thoughts.

dueces he said it is most deserving of a spot on your bucket list. "a mystical place." there you are, climbing to the clouds, then all of a sudden you encounter a well-preserved fortress with llamas, alpacas and many different species of endemic birds. surrealism at its finest.

if you go, he said to make sure you head even higher up Huayna Picchu (a nearby mountain) so you can get a bird's-eye view like the first and last picture ☝️

i omitted a structural photo...