Home Autographs Forum
Options

Post your best “printed” autograph responses received through the mail

JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes even though you don’t get an authentic autograph you still get something really neat through the mail. I don’t have anything to post at the moment but in the past I had gotten some neat “autopen” and preprinted letters/cards from the White House. Other times I received preprinted signed 8x10 color photos from U.S. Presidents (Clinton, Bush, and Obama) — occasionally I have received an autopen signed 8x10 photo but instead of the cheaper glossy thin paper most see, I got it on heavy matte Kodak photo paper (George W. Bush in 2005 and 2006). It makes you think “this must be real” until you receive another a year later that has the exact same signature with the tall tale signs of shakiness and dots typical of autopen. Still looks neat and probably fools non-collectors into thinking they scored.

I never received this myself but a former fellow collector got a George W. Bush handwritten letter done ENTIRELY in autopen from Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign. The name and state was left blank and filled in by a secretary, but they made it look like it matched. I found another one online and couldn’t believe it! Below is one example of the letter. Not a great image but you probably get the idea.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to see what I can come up with.

I have seen that Bush letter. It is very deceptive. I suspected the body is a preprint with pen customization.

But...on closer examination I see the word "Alabama" written twice, and they seem to be identical. Maybe the letter is laser or inkjet printed with the custom text (name and state) programmed in.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this card and autopen thru the mail back when I was 17.