Home Sports Talk
Options

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another July 1st, another $1.1M.
Bonilla 58, will collect his annual $1 million until 2035.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 7:12PM

I wished I saved the text because my buddy texted me this AM almost the same thing you posted Joe lol

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2021 1:34AM

deleted.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still 12 more years to go.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Cha Ching

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

for some reason, i just love bobby bonilla day

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    for some reason, i just love bobby bonilla day

Not as much as Bobby does lol

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

And in 2033 we will begin Mookie Betts day! (115 million deferred money to begin at age 40 through 52)
    Deferred money salary numbers:
    2033: $10,000,000
    2034: $10,000,000
    2035: $9,000,000
    2036: $8,000,000
    2037: $8,000,000
    2038: $10,000,000
    2039: $10,000,000
    2040: $11,000,000
    2041: $11,000,000
    2042: $11,000,000
    2043: $11,000,000
    2044: $11,000,000

In the bigger picture, Betts’ hefty contract ranks him:

No. 1 among outfielders and No. 2 among all MLB players all-time behind Mike Trout by total value
    Tied for No. 16 among outfielders and No. 68 among all MLB players by 2023 salary
    No. 3 among active outfielders and No. 16 among active MLB players by average annual salary
    By total value, more than the career earnings of all active MLB players to date and No. 2 all-time behind Alex Rodriguez
    Mookie Betts’ Career Earnings
    Salary earnings data via Spotrac.

TOTAL MLB EARNINGS THRU 2022: $89,634,598

PROJECTED SALARY EARNINGS THRU 2032: $425,634,598

MORE CONTRACTS & SALARIES:
    WANT TO WEAR IT LIKE MOOKIE?

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    And in 2033 we will begin Mookie Betts day! (115 million deferred money to begin at age 40 through 52)
    Deferred money salary numbers:
    2033: $10,000,000
    2034: $10,000,000
    2035: $9,000,000
    2036: $8,000,000
    2037: $8,000,000
    2038: $10,000,000
    2039: $10,000,000
    2040: $11,000,000
    2041: $11,000,000
    2042: $11,000,000
    2043: $11,000,000
    2044: $11,000,000

In the bigger picture, Betts’ hefty contract ranks him:

No. 1 among outfielders and No. 2 among all MLB players all-time behind Mike Trout by total value
    Tied for No. 16 among outfielders and No. 68 among all MLB players by 2023 salary
    No. 3 among active outfielders and No. 16 among active MLB players by average annual salary
    By total value, more than the career earnings of all active MLB players to date and No. 2 all-time behind Alex Rodriguez
    Mookie Betts’ Career Earnings
    Salary earnings data via Spotrac.

TOTAL MLB EARNINGS THRU 2022: $89,634,598

PROJECTED SALARY EARNINGS THRU 2032: $425,634,598

MORE CONTRACTS & SALARIES:
    WANT TO WEAR IT LIKE MOOKIE?

Almost every big contract has a lot of deferred money. Chris Davis is getting paid by the Orioles through 2037, Mad Max and Stras both had big deferral money, Manny had deferrals etc etc. Its basically a retirement plan for players and makes it cheaper for teams

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great player with the Pirates. Not so much with the Mets. Worst deal in mets history.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

A million dollars today is worth significantly less than a million back in 2001. I guess that is a win for the team

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2023 7:56AM

@craig44 said:
    A million dollars today is worth significantly less than a million back in 2001. I guess that is a win for the team

The tax rate I believe is higher now, I imagine he gets hit with a 40% tax?

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

It is strange, but I also love Bobby Bonilla Day. Strangest contract thing I’ve ever heard of. Good for you BB !!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Him and his accountant might be the only ones that know that answer. Athletes have to pay taxes to every state they play games in and I'm sure the deferral becomes even more complicated. I dunno if he pays them to NY , where he lives, or both. I'm not even sure if there could be issues about the money being deferred and what states the money was actually earned in for the game checks.

Whatever it is hes paying a big chunk. He has talked about it before though about how he wishes more athletes would do some deferred money so that if investments go bad or you blow all your money you still have a guaranteed paycheck on the way after youre done playing

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Him and his accountant might be the only ones that know that answer. Athletes have to pay taxes to every state they play games in and I'm sure the deferral becomes even more complicated. I dunno if he pays them to NY , where he lives, or both. I'm not even sure if there could be issues about the money being deferred and what states the money was actually earned in for the game checks.

Whatever it is hes paying a big chunk. He has talked about it before though about how he wishes more athletes would do some deferred money so that if investments go bad or you blow all your money you still have a guaranteed paycheck on the way after youre done playing

I didn't realize they had to pay taxes in every state they play in wow!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google just told me that Bobby got divorced in 2009, I wonder if his ex and her lawyer were as farsighted as Bobby and his agent originally were lol? Maybe a nice sized alimony check annually on Bobby Bonilla day? 😎

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

If he is retired and lives in a non state tax state he can save 7-13%. Not sure if he has to pay state tax if he isn’t playing in tax states anymore

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I didn't realize they had to pay taxes in every state they play in wow!

Countries too. The teams that have a series in Canada the players have to deal with that. Not sure if the NFL/MLB has worked out any exemption for the GB or German games but its just another reason players hate those games if they havent. The money is considered earned wherever the location of the game is. I believe theres some ways for baseball players to negate that a little getting paid year round but theres complications with that, but the NFL who get their 17 game checks every check is considered income in the state the game took place in

• Options
    edited July 4, 2023 4:28PM

@2dueces said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

If he is retired and lives in a non state tax state he can save 7-13%. Not sure if he has to pay state tax if he isn’t playing in tax states anymore

Honestly I have absolutely no idea how it works for the deferred money that was earned while playing elsewhere but getting paid out now. Some sports tax account would have to answer that. I just know how theyre required to pay for the states and countries they play in according to their taxes

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I'm assuming the teams take care of the paperwork for all of those games in like 25 states and 2 -3 countries. A rookie would have to spend his entire years salary on tax layers to do his taxes.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I'm assuming the teams take care of the paperwork for all of those games in like 25 states and 2 -3 countries. A rookie would have to spend his entire years salary on tax layers to do his taxes.

Teams dont do anything anymore than any other employer would. Teams do nothing to help players. The Yankees even make players pay for WiFi on team flights as just one example. People would be shocked if they knew what these multibillion dollar organizations charge players for. Players are basically nothing more than an asset to make money to these teams

Agencies theyre signed with take care of it or know someone who can unless the player wants his own tax guy. Its a nightmare to set up for the first time with all the states, what country theyre from, did they play winter ball, where are endorsements etc, but once you have the

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2023 6:22PM

@Basebal21 said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Teams dont do anything anymore than any other employer would. Teams do nothing to help players. The Yankees even make players pay for WiFi on team flights as just one example. People would be shocked if they knew what these multibillion dollar organizations charge players for. Players are basically nothing more than an asset to make money to these teams

Agencies theyre signed with take care of it or know someone who can unless the player wants his own tax guy. Its a nightmare to set up for the first time with all the states, what country theyre from, did they play winter ball, where are endorsements etc, but once you have the

Do you really believe that the treatment if pro athletes by their employers is in line with what is given to the average, working stiff?

Let's go beyond the salaries, which I know you aren't referring to. But aren't justified. Atleast not in a "capitalist" sense.

How about just the per diems, and the food on top of that? Most regular people get absolutely nothing.

ETA...the athletes have strong unions, and it could be said that the unions are really setting up the athletes and that the leagues have to abide. Still, just the whole pet diem thing is revolting, in my opinion. They make too much now. No per diem necessary. No complimentary food spreads.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Worst deal in mets history.

Jacob Degrom.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 11:16PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Do you really believe that the treatment if pro athletes by their employers is in line with what is given to the average, working stiff?

Let's go beyond the salaries, which I know you aren't referring to. But aren't justified. Atleast not in a "capitalist" sense.

How about just the per diems, and the food on top of that? Most regular people get absolutely nothing.

ETA...the athletes have strong unions, and it could be said that the unions are really setting up the athletes and that the leagues have to abide. Still, just the whole pet diem thing is revolting, in my opinion. They make too much now. No per diem necessary. No complimentary food spreads.

Should a heart transplant surgeon make the same or be treated the same as the person that tells you to take a seat after having you sign some forms?

The professional athletes should be in line with the average working stiff is one of the worst arguments for pay. The MLB player does something that 99.999 percent of the world couldnt do, same goes for the other major sports. The athlete is the product not the leagues. NFL vs USFL as just one example.

The union in MLB is actually weak at the moment and has signed back to back very bad deals for players. The NFL union was never really very strong.

These are elite athletes doing what almost no one on earth can do and are actually under paid especially on the teams nickel and diming players. Im fine with owers making money, but the owners have no product without the players and the local mens league filling in wont be a league with over 10 billion dollars of revenue and every team being worth at least one billion like MLB is.

Arguments against the player salary/care/perks is just an argument for owners to pocket more money

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Jacob Degrom.

Probably Jason bay off the top of my head. deGrom signed before 2019 won a CY that year and 2020 was a short season

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Salaries aren't justified because they are (often) far too low. Many/most players aren't free to sell their services to the highest bidder and have other restrictions as to how much they ca be paid, regardless of how willing a boss would be to pay them. I mean do you really think there is a sane universe where an employer would pay Curt Casali $2,500,000 this year but Adley Rutschman $733,900? Does anyone really think Victor Wembanyama would only be getting $12,200,000 this season if he were able to play anywhere other than San Antonio?

And to say they aren't justified in a "capitalist" sense, I point you to the WNBA where the three highest paid players make a whopping $234,936. Pro athletes, just like anyone else, to the extent that they are not hindered by a strong union contract, are paid based on the income that their employers can expect to earn from them.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Jacob Degrom.

Probably Jason bay off the top of my head. deGrom signed before 2019 won a CY that year and 2020 was a short season

Yeah, I misread the dates on his contract.