Home Sports Talk
Options

Drunk man gets knocked out by MMA fighter at bar

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happened in a bar recently, MMA fighter Joe Schilling and a drunk guy bumped into eachother. The drunk guy saidsomething to Schilling and Schilling turns around and confronts him, and then lays him out. Here's the video and the story.

Drunk Florida Man gets knocked out by Muay Thai kickboxer & MMA fighter Joe Schilling

Joe Schilling knocked out an overzealous bar patron in Florida.
In the history of random people trying professional fighters on the street, the average observer is still somehow usually surprised at how quickly it goes bad.

But we can suppose that all bets are off when you’re drunk.

A 31-year-old man from Fort Lauderdale named Justin Balboa was “obviously intoxicated,” according to police, when he was at a bar and leaned into 37-year-old Joe Schilling, a 23-9 Muay Thai kickboxer and 4-6 mixed martial artist who formerly competed in Bellator, the second-largest MMA promotion in the country behind UFC. To the hypnotic and joyous tune of “The Next Episode” by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, and Kurupt, Schilling began walking away, but turned back around when Balboa appeared to initiate a confrontation. Balboa then seemingly began to pantomime a strike, and before he could complete his motion, the well-trained Schilling reflexively landed a short right hook, followed by a left, which knocked out the abrasive Florida Man who works as a busboy at an Outback Steakhouse.

According to reporting from mmafighting.com, Balboa informed officers that he “only wanted the incident documented in order to file a civil suit against the establishment.” Additionally, the manager of the bar told officers that Balboa “was extremely intoxicated and had possibly made an improper remark about the girlfriend/wife of the male who had struck him, which caused the fight to escalate.”

The manager also noted that Balboa “is a regular customer who routinely causes problems at the establishment due to his intoxication level.”

Schilling, whose Instagram bio features a link to a website called “cantstopcrazy.com,” has since posted about the incident on social media. One post was captioned “7 billion people in this world, and you chose me.” Another posting was of a direct message he received from a person purporting to be Balboa’s alleged ex-girlfriend, who thanked Schilling for knocking him out.

He also wrote a since-deleted post containing a longer account of the confrontation, in which he claimed self-defense, Yahoo reported.

“Little context: This guy’s rapping like an idiot,” Schilling wrote on IG. “The busboy who happens to be Black walks by, and this idiot bumps into him and screams out, ‘Me and broke n****s, we don’t get along.’ The busboy was seriously offended but doesn’t want to lose his job. As the night goes on, this clown starts looking at me and rapping whatever song is being played while making eye contact with me. I’m like, what’s wrong with this idiot? I go outside to smoke, and as I’m walking back in, he bumps into me. I put my hand out to catch him. He immediately says ‘I’m sorry.’ You can see me nod my head like, cool.

“Then he realizes it’s me, the guy he’s been rapping at all night, and yells, ‘HEY.’ I turn around, and he flexes on me. … Bad decisions are made every day. I went back and sat down to finish my drink and pay my bill. Two servers, the busboy and DJ came up to thank me. As you can see from this video when he flexed on me, I was scared for my life and simply defending myself against the evil in this world.”

In the aforementioned MMA Fighting story, Balboa’s attorney, Robert Solomon, blamed Schilling — who hasn’t yet been charged criminally, but could face a battery misdemeanor — for escalating the encounter.

“It was something that should not have happened,” Solomon said. “It should not have happened. You watch that video and you cringe. This is a professional fighter. To tell me you felt threatened as a professional fighter that’s fighting in the highest level of all the fighting, Bellator and all these things, I don’t buy it. I think it was uncalled for, and there’s consequences when you do things like that.

“I think a professional fighter overreacted to a situation, that he didn’t need to do what he did,” Solomon added. “And to punch somebody as hard as he punched this guy, he’s lucky he’s not dead and we’re dealing with a different type of case.”

Solomon also noted that Balboa suffered a head injury and was sent to the hospital that night.

Balboa, to our knowledge, has no relation to former American soccer star Marcelo Balboa, 16th-century Spanish conquistador Vasco Núñez de Balboa, the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean, nor Rocky Balboa, a fictional character who is much better at fighting.

Comments

• Options

Schilling said the guy flexed on him and that's why he knocked him out.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

"i was scared for my life"

😂😂😂

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I’m calling this guy’s story a total crock of shiat. Scared for your life? Cmon man,you’re about 8-10” taller and quite a bit heavier than the drunk loudmouth and if you really feared for your life knowing your background in MMA then he should be the laughingstock of the fighting world. Also I’m not buying he had people coming up to thank him, more likely they were kissing his ass after he just knocked a dude out cold.
    Homie was probably very loud and very obnoxious and Van Damme probably told his friends “Watch this” before knocking out the little guy. Anyone else notice the other guy walking into the frame from the other direction who just happened to have the same logo on his shirt as the fighter?

• Options

He was definitely not scared for his life, he's huge compared to that drunk guy. 😂😂

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than the drunk idiot,that whole altercation looks like it was setup. One guy walks into the moron’s space causing him to back up into the fighter while someone conveniently recorded everything but what was said right before punches were thrown.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2021 4:35PM

watch how quickly Schilling strikes him when that dude pump fakes

that was not an "i'm scared for my life" reaction, that was an "i've been wanting to do this all night" reaction

• Options

It does look like a setup, it looks like they forced him into a trap, Schilling was definitely wearing the same shirt that other guy was wearing.

• Options

Wearing the same shirts, they've got him pinned in, it smells like a set up!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to tell what was said so who knows if the drunk guy offered him a fight or disrespected him or whatever, but regardless there is zero chance the MMA fighter was scared for his life lol.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! But really - when WASN"T a drunk guy videod getting his ass beat by a MMA guy?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do stupid things win stupid prizes. Such is life.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy was half his size. Bush league.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    The guy was half his size. Bush league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlKIPAOtX4

• Options
    edited June 30, 2021 7:50PM

There are no rules in a street fight the only goal is to win. There is no guide book you do what you got to do to survive. What do you expect when hanging around in bars.

It's simple the drunk guy finally picked on the wrong guy.

One was a talker the other was not.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I seen this. My opinion.... The drunk deserves it. Acting tough and knowing dam well he isn't. He started it! Don't blame the fighter with collie 🌺 ears.

• Options

Guy is an office type guy were he can be a AHOLE all day and act tough with his buddies. The other guy someone that does not play games.

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Guy is an office type guy were he can be a AHOLE all day and act tough with his buddies. The other guy someone that does not play games.

Right on spot!!! I'm a fan of his now lol. Don't take no 🐂

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

except he was a bus boy. then he got hit by a bus.

the only winner here is the attorney(s)

• Options
    edited June 30, 2021 9:15PM

@blurryface said:

except he was a bus boy. then he got hit by a bus.

the only winner here is the attorney(s)

Yes what a world you get what you deserve then get money for acting like a jerk. Everybody is a victim of something these days.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 1:15AM

Schilling knows what it's like to be on the receiving end

twice

by the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJLdMSuC20

• Options

They all better be lucky I wasn't in that bar when trouble started, I would have been forced to go Rowdy Roddy Piper on somebody!

• Options

There are no rules in a street fight the only goal is to win. There is no guide book you do what you got to do to survive. What do you expect when hanging around in bars.

And I absolutely agree with this. But this wasn’t a street fight, it was a guy who was completely shattered against a sober dude who can handle himself. Let’s be real here, the MMA guy completely overreacted regardless of what the drunk guy might have said. That was the equivalent to an adult smashing a 12 year old for being a punk.

• Options

@perkdog said:

And I absolutely agree with this. But this wasn’t a street fight, it was a guy who was completely shattered against a sober dude who can handle himself. Let’s be real here, the MMA guy completely overreacted regardless of what the drunk guy might have said. That was the equivalent to an adult smashing a 12 year old for being a punk.

But here's the thing seriously. ....quit being drunk around people. They get arrested for that. Maybe, just maybe Wannabe Tom Cruise learned his lesson

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

@perkdog said:

But here's the thing seriously. ....quit being drunk around people. They get arrested for that. Maybe, just maybe Wannabe Tom Cruise learned his lesson

Yep, if you can’t handle your booze then your correct.

• Options

Hopefully he's not seriously hurt. He didn't look like the fighting type

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 3:48AM

Start something with this cowboy and you'll get a dang beer bottle smashed over your head!

• Options

That's what I thought, nephew.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard for me to tell exactly what kind of move drunk guy makes in the video. Does he try to throw a punch or connect? Either way Schilling should only have been on the defensive in this situation. Even if the drunk guy had started swinging more, he would have hurt himself just by getting blocked. If I was Schilling's attorney, I would have advised him to not publicly comment like that. But I know that most people today just can't help themselves.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If what Schilling said was true, drunk guy is often there and being sort of belligerent. Hopefully he will take this opportunity to realize that he needs to cool it with the booze if he doesn't want even worse things to happen to him. But still, if drunk guy has a good lawyer he might get some cash.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    That's what I thought, nephew.

@doubledragon said:
    Start something with this cowboy and you'll get a dang beer bottle smashed over your head!

I knew it!!!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

You never know who is the fighting type regardless of what they look like. That is a fact

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

You never know who is the fighting type regardless of what they look like. That is a fact

That is very true!!!!!!!! I've seen little guys whip the pants off of macho men. That is no lie! But this guy .....lol I don't think it would have matter if he was sober. Gut instinct 😂

• Options

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

The guys a automatic reaction fighter what do you expect. The other guy could have been a boxer or anything so the guy just started hitting him. Take no risks and minimize your damage. The guy could have went after him after he fell but did not that is proof he can control himself to some extent.

• Options

@perkdog said:

The guys a automatic reaction fighter what do you expect. The other guy could have been a boxer or anything so the guy just started hitting him. Take no risks and minimize your damage. The guy could have went after him after he fell but did not that is proof he can control himself to some extent.

I promise you that your not going to tell
    Me anything about fighting that I don’t already know. 20 years inside a State Prison, I’ve seen it all. And in the real world have been involved in more fights that I’ve actually forgotten some of them. ( Disclaimer - No I don’t consider myself a tough guy )

• Options

My one complaint about this incident, if they're going to be listening to a Dr. Dre and Snoop song, they should be listening to this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNp9fzmXyn8

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This happened in a bar recently, MMA fighter Joe Schilling and a drunk guy bumped into eachother. The drunk guy saidsomething to Schilling and Schilling turns around and confronts him, and then lays him out. Here's the video and the story.

And down goes Manziel..........