Home U.S. Coin Forum

Numismatic Destinations – Nevada State Museum: The Former Carson City Mint

While not fully original, the museum is upon the land where the Carson City Mint stood and parts of the original mint and other historical items are still there for the public to view and experience.

The first floor is where the historic Carson City Mint attraction is located. The great pride of the museum is the still-functional coin press on display. “Coin Press No. 1” is the first press to operate at the Carson City Mint. On Saturdays, the mint will use the press for the public to view and strike commemorative medallions that are available for sale in the museum gift store starting at $75 each. Across from the coin press is an open vault that is barred in and houses a nearly complete set of Carson City Mint coinage, which is on loan to the museum.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/numismatic-destinations-nevada-state-museum-former-carson-city-mint

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I overflew Carson City (and then visited on the ground) back in 2012:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go to a once a year coin show in the summer At the mint/museum . I don’t think it is on anymore. Too bad.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to go see that and have been thinking about it

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

The dark-roofed structure near the center of the aerial is the original mint building - the other adjacent white-roofed structures are museum additions. Across the street, with the brownish roof and large parking lot is Northern Nevada Coin.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Fun facts:

• If you own a Carson City minted coin dated 1870 to 1875, it was struck by coin press #1.
    • In 1876, two more presses were added, so coin press #1 only struck some fraction of each denomination's mintage from 1876 to 1877.
    • In 1878, coin press #1 broke down, and was repaired, but from 1878 until 1893, was only used to strike Morgan dollars, and no other denominations.
      https://visitcarsoncity.com/blog/minted-the-storied-history-of-coin-press-no-1/

I feel fortunate to be, in a ethereal way, "connected" to the old CC mint - I live on the ranch land once owned by a patriarch that at one time worked in the Virginia City mines, and whose son worked at the Carson City mint circa late 1880s through 1892/93. I'm likely heading over to the mint / museum for another visit on Friday or Saturday.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@airplanenut said:

The dark-roofed structure near the center of the aerial is the original mint building - the other adjacent white-roofed structures are museum additions. Across the street, with the brownish roof and large parking lot is Northern Nevada Coin.

Yup… first show I was at after taking the photo, I made sure to go to their table to show them.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own one of the recent 1870-CC Half dollar re-strikes. that they made a few years ago. I think that was using press #1 as well.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one goes to Carson City, be sure to trek up the road to Virginia City. A 20 minute drive is akin to time travel in a DeLorean.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been there twice, definitely worth the visit.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I end up going to Carson city, that would be the first place I visit

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

This display of CC gold was there when I visited a few years ago.

From the Norm Biltz "CC" Coin Collection on loan from Wells Fargo bank.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to the Mint twice. I never went across the street to Northern Nevada Coin. I wish that I had.

@Swampboy said:
    This display of CC gold was there when I visited a few years ago.

This display is one of reasons I make periodic return trips. We all like to take a look at our personal collections periodically. Going there is akin to periodically taking a look at "our" collection, that "will never be sold, that it would never leave Nevada, and that it will be displayed".

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file