Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Netherlands 2 Ducat gold

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2021 4:30PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Had this double ducat in the OGP and decided to get it holdered. Was pleasantly surprised that it came back a 70. Was even more surprised to learn that this is the only 2005 proof 2 ducat graded at either NGC or PCGS.

Guess nobody collects these. :* I think it's a neat coin.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations you did the right thing !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is neat!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you
    That's gorgeous gold

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I could be the only collector in the world for these? I cant find mintage figures. For 2021 they had an order window in May, mint to demand, deliver in September. I missed the window. Maybe I'll get one next year.

How would one value something like this being the only one graded? Just worth bullion value since nobody collects them? Or is it now priceless because its the only one. B)

• ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Nice one indeed, I like ducats, I only own one a 1928 1 Ducat

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of collectors, just don't feel the need to pay extra for grading or the extravagant prices for graded pieces. Pretty.

thefinn
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago whence I was traipsing around the Netherlands I took the train out to Utrecht to see the mint and the museum there - it was a wonderful visit. Must have been a slow day at the mint and the director came out and talked to me in the museum. Must have gauged I really had an interest in coins, so then he invited me to come back and strike a guilder coin and let me take it. I also got books on the Dutch ducats and then started collecting them afterwards.

Maybe that was the plan, get me hooked so I will buy more!

The earlier pre-Euro examples had somewhat regular mintages, but if you have to order in May for a September delivery they must have fairly tiny mintages.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story! I guess I will have to read up on ducats.