Home Sports Talk

Chris Simms blasts Jalen Hurts

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Simms is at it again, this time his guns are aimed at Jalen Hurts.

NFL analyst blasts Eagles’ Jalen Hurts for missing throws that high school QBs can make

The Eagles seem to believe in Jalen Hurts, making preparations for him to be their starting quarterback for the upcoming season. However, one NFL analyst believes that Hurts is not better than some backup quarterbacks in the league.

Appearing on 94 WIP’s Howard Eskin Show, NBC Sports NFL analyst Chris Simms talked about the list of the top 40 quarterbacks that he created, one that did not include Hurts but did have Case Keenum, Taysom Hill and Andy Dalton.

Sign up for Eagles Extra: Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

Simms, who said he created the list and treated it like a depth chart if all of the quarterbacks were on the same team, said it was not an easy decision to leave Hurts off the list.

“His running was pretty damn good,” Simms said about Hurts. “Better than I thought it would be coming out of Oklahoma or Alabama. I wasn’t sure he’d be able to do quite what he did last year, so that impressed me. But, when you go back and watch some of the throwing and decision-making and all of that, I had to put him on the outside looking in there.”

Hurts started in the final four games last season and completed 52% of his passes for 1,061 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. Hurts also ran for 354 yards and three rushing touchdowns.

When watching the games Hurts played in last season, Simms said Hurts’ throwing motion contributed to passes being inaccurate, saying he throws only with his arm instead of using his entire body to throw the ball.

“There were way too many slam-dunk, easy completions that I would expect a good senior high school quarterback to make that were not made,” Simms said. “We’re talking about defenses, again, where he has the advantage of, ‘hey, we’re trying to stop him from running, let’s make a pass defense really easy because we’re going to be all about stopping him from the running game and doing those things.’ He was provided optimal looks in the passing game. That’s my big question mark.”

Simms stated Hurts will struggle as more teams get acclimated to the Eagles’ offense, and that he’s unsure if Hurts will be able to make enough throws to help the Eagles win games.

“I’m not trying to be negative on Jalen Hurts because there is a lot of good there too,” Simms said. “I get that, but I think the raw aspects leave me with too many questions that led me to leave him outside looking in behind a Case Keenum and some of the rookies.”

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Challenge Chris Simms's opinion, he dares you!

Chris Simms demands you agree with him, he wants to see that agree button pressed numerous times, or so help me god!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's just say i have my doubts about Jalen Hurts.

I'm not saying that he's a stone cold bust. But I am saying he's closer to that than a Super Bowl winning QB.

Who knows, maybe he'll surprise me? But i sincerely doubt it.

edited June 28, 2021 12:48PM

@stevek said:

I'm not saying that he's a stone cold bust. But I am saying he's closer to that than a Super Bowl winning QB.

Chris Simms welcomes you to his thread, and he appreciates your support, you are always welcome back anytime, friend.

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Chris Simms welcomes you to his thread, and he appreciates your support, you are always welcome back anytime, friend.

>

What's that quote about the blind squirrel and the acorn?

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

he’s no carson wentz thats for sure.

now you only have to decipher if thats a good thing or a bad thing! 😉

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, one NFL analyst believes that Hurts is not better than some backup quarterbacks in the league.

You know who else is not better than some backup quarterbacks in the league? Chris Simms. There’s a reason why this dude busted out of the league fairly quick and now has a job where he’s paid to throw out random hot takes to reel in viewers. It’s too bad he couldn’t hit his receivers with that same level of accuracy. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to ask again, who is Chris Simms?

I'm not basing my remarks over anything Simms stated.

I basically have said all this before about Jalen Hurts. I just don't think he's got the "it" factor when it comes to being a winning NFL quarterback.

We shall see in a few months.

@erikthredd said:
    However, one NFL analyst believes that Hurts is not better than some backup quarterbacks in the league.

You know who else is not better than some backup quarterbacks in the league? Chris Simms. There’s a reason why this dude busted out of the league fairly quick and now has a job where he’s paid throw out random hot takes to reel in viewers. It’s too bad he couldn’t hit his receivers with that same level of accuracy. ;)

Pretty spot on right here

@stevek said:

I basically have said all this before about Jalen Hurts. I just don't think he's got the "it" factor when it comes to being a winning NFL quarterback.

I remember you saying you were not buying into him, personally I think he is an absolute upgrade over Wentz but like you said we will see

I'm just not sure about this "Carson Wentz" some are speaking about here as to who is he?

I couldn't find him on google either. Maybe I'll try again later.

edited June 28, 2021 4:49PM

@stevek said:

Chris Simms was under the assumption that you were exclusively agreeing with him, and now you're saying that you weren't? Chris Simms doesn't want to see you anymore, good day to you sir!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a take from an NFL expert that has been evaluating QB’s and teams every month of every year for longer than Chris Simms has been alive. Me. In the off season I go back and watch every NFL game from start to finish. If there isn’t enough film on a QB ( Hurts and Tua) I go back and watch college film. After all what else is there it do when the NFL is not live?

My take on Tua: Average arm. Can’t read complicated coverages. Tucks and runs after first read. Depends on his athleticism too often. Can’t throw deep consistently.

Hurts. Average arm. Can’t make the sideline throws. Above average running ability. Can throw to wide open receivers but will not throw into tight coverage. Teams will adjust by week 4 after more film.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    In the off season I go back and watch every NFL game from start to finish.

I like this.

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    In the off season I go back and watch every NFL game from start to finish.

I like this.

Yes, I issued him a like as well, I did not realize how deeply he studies the game.

It’s not as hard as it seems. Games are about 40 minutes of action. Minus punts, kickoffs and blowouts about 30 minutes. Now if you just want to evaluate a QB, 15 minutes of action. I’m not privy to the film study for Simms or coaches so I make due.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Here’s a take from an NFL expert that has been evaluating QB’s and teams every month of every year for longer than Chris Simms has been alive. Me. In the off season I go back and watch every NFL game from start to finish. If there isn’t enough film on a QB ( Hurts and Tua) I go back and watch college film. After all what else is there it do when the NFL is not live?

My take on Tua: Average arm. Can’t read complicated coverages. Tucks and runs after first read. Depends on his athleticism too often. Can’t throw deep consistently.

Hurts. Average arm. Can’t make the sideline throws. Above average running ability. Can throw to wide open receivers but will not throw into tight coverage. Teams will adjust by week 4 after more film.

<<< Teams will adjust by week 4 after more film. >>>

Hurts started in a few games last season. I guess the new coach will try to add some wrinkles to his game. But you're right, teams will adjust to him quickly, as they did last season.

Sadly for the Eagles, it could get ugly out there...possibly very ugly.

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Simms couldn't even blast a football

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Hurts started in a few games last season. I guess the new coach will try to add some wrinkles to his game. But you're right, teams will adjust to him quickly, as they did last season.

I really think trading Wentz was one of the worse moves that the Eagles could have made. They should have dumped the coach and brought in a Wentz friendly coach. Oh wait, they did fire the coach. 😉
    So apparently it had to be the owner who gave up on Carson. I guess we’ll see if he flourished in Indy. What’s your thoughts Steve? I know it was a terrible situation last year. Is Carson done, or just done in Philly

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

I really think trading Wentz was one of the worse moves that the Eagles could have made. They should have dumped the coach and brought in a Wentz friendly coach. Oh wait, they did fire the coach. 😉
    So apparently it had to be the owner who gave up on Carson. I guess we’ll see if he flourished in Indy. What’s your thoughts Steve? I know it was a terrible situation last year. Is Carson done, or just done in Philly

Carson Wentz is not going to get it done in Indy, in my opinion. I read he refuses to listen to his coaches, and is not all that popular in the locker room, now you throw in the injury history and it comes full circle to failure.

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Wentz certainly is still young enough to turn it around. However the injury factor is always going to be a problem for him.

I don't do fantasy football. But to be successful with Wentz on that, he will have to stay injury free and develop a better attitude.

I never questioned his talent until last season around mid season, when he had ample opportunities but couldn't accurately throw the football. Perhaps his attitude had something to do with that?

If i had to take a guess about the upcoming season for Carson Wentz, i would venture to say he may get off to a good start, but as the long season wears on, he either tails off or gets injured.

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Carson Wentz is not going to get it done in Indy, in my opinion. I read he refuses to listen to his coaches, and is not all that popular in the locker room, now you throw in the injury history and it comes full circle to failure.

So you don’t think Wentz is an upgrade from Rivers?

W.C.Fields

Wentz was never going to turn his career around in Philly. It was the statue. He was psychologically demoralized.

Wentz, at one time, had all the tools. But he has suffered injuries and his mental makeup is questionable. But I would not be shocked to see him string together some good play. Still young.

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Wentz was never going to turn his career around in Philly. It was the statue. He was psychologically demoralized.

Wentz, at one time, had all the tools. But he has suffered injuries and his mental makeup is questionable. But I would not be shocked to see him string together some good play. Still young.

I remember his Rookie yr. Kept telling people he was good and all,but the competition he faced wasn't exactly the best.... following yrs was more downfall. Then here comes another qb on the team. Lol.

@Historicalwood71 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I remember his Rookie yr. Kept telling people he was good and all,but the competition he faced wasn't exactly the best.... following yrs was more downfall. Then here comes another qb on the team. Lol.

The injuries hurt him. Not just physically but his confidence. But I will always insist that it was the Nick Foles statue that did him in. How can a QB go to work everyday and have to look at a statue of his SB winning backup?

@thisistheshow said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

@thisistheshow said:

The injuries hurt him. Not just physically but his confidence. But I will always insist that it was the Nick Foles statue that did him in. How can a QB go to work everyday and have to look at a statue of his SB winning backup?

I have to admit, the statue would have bothered me as well, even though Foles was just doing his job, it still would have bothered me because Wentz did a lot of the work that season getting them to that point.

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

So you don’t think Wentz is an upgrade from Rivers?

Nope, don’t get me wrong I don’t think Rivers was ever the type of guy to get you through the playoffs but my opinion of Wentz is he won’t even get you to the playoffs.

Ok, this is interesting, Donovan McNabb is endorsing Jalen Hurts as the QB for the Eagles, check out the video.

@doubledragon said:
    Ok, this is interesting, Donovan McNabb is endorsing Jalen Hurts as the QB for the Eagles, check out the video.

The more i see of things like this, the more i think that i'll be doing a lot of bird watching in the park on Sundays coming this Fall.

I'm already stocking up on bird food. Because one thing you definitely don't want to do is run out of bird food when you're feeding hungry pigeons. Those birds then get angry and it could result in losing good customers.

Here i was last NFL season when the Eagles went in the tank.
    If it happens again, i'll update the pic.

@stevek said:
    Here i was last NFL season when the Eagles went in the tank.
    If it happens again, i'll update the pic.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I’m not trying to be negative on Jalen Hurts because there is a lot of good there too,” Simms said.

That's BLASTING him?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set