Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

From these pics what would you grade these two, will scan when in hand (scans up)

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2021 4:09PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

scan first, pics i bough from bottom

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty well circulated - probably just Good/Low VG. I'm sure Steve will give you the heads up. Nice Indian though, I've been wanting to get one but pictures are cheaper - :)
    Nice looking circulated notes!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking The $5 …… VF 20 - 25 $1 …… Fine 15 - 20 .
    But just my opinion and I no expert.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I'm around the F12 or F15 range on these presuming that there isn't a little tear in the bottom edge of the 1899 $5.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 6:57AM

Take a look at this note posted on PMF. I've been collecting for 40+ years & I don't consider myself an expert by any means, when it comes to grading. [Rather, I'm always learning]

On the back of both notes are extremely deep well worn dark creases. The background colour/tone of the body of each note is nearly non existent but pretty light (yet faded) for such worn examples. It makes me wonder if each have been washed (when the creases appear so dark) & the edges look dodgy (like they've been trimmed). I do think I may err on the side of caution (after buying far too many over graded notes by either "inexperienced" or "dodgy" sellers) but I would not put the $1 any higher than G-VG scale as 'Steven59' suggests. Scans are very blurry/deceptive & I cannot see the $5 as better than a Fine10-12 tops. From what I've seen of countless PMG notes- they have tended to be liberal with their grades of well circulated items (esp tough/older notes like these) so one must take that into consideration when viewing their idea of a "Choice Fine" as a comparison example (link I provided). But at least it's a decent starting point.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link above is to the top of a page with many notes. Scrolling down a bit are two small size nationals in the fine range. Are those the notes? They look pretty worn for the grades assigned.

I'm also wondering if there may be more of a difference between U.S. and worldwide note grading in the more worn grades. I think that with U.S., if it has any body (crispness) left it's a fine and VG is the highest of the limp paper grades. Is this true for world wide currency?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

They all look to be between 10 and 20 to me. Most would require a “hands on” inspection to determine the exact numerical grade.

• Options
    redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2021 12:55PM

Fine 15 on all of them. But my opinion could change once viewed in hand. A;so remember that PMG is often generous in this range so it wouldn't surprised me if that chief came back a 20.