Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this 1838 O no stars Liberty Seated Dime grade an FR02 or AG03?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2021 6:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The obverse appears to be an FR02 and the reverse is better in the center. I've had it miscategorized in my 7070 for nearly 10 years. I had it in the position for 1838-1860 with stars and discovered it was a no stars when I found an 1839 O With stars and wondered why I had one. That was why, as there is no position in my 7070 for a no stars LSD. I appreciate your help in grading this coin, if you feel it is gradeable. Another point, I would not be inclined to send it in, but would keep it for a type coin other than the 7070.
Thanks, Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call it a nice AG3 personally. Very nice, too. It’s a type I’m looking for myself if I find the right one. Anyway, always neat to realize you have something you didn’t expect. Not as good as buying two of the same thing because you forgot you had one…

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

AG03.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

03 as well

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I would agree with AG03 consensus. I've been on a date/mint mark attempt at this very series for over four years, in vg or better- knowing that the high keys are not going to happen, if at all, in those grades- and down to 33 remaining.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly a complete full rim on the obverse. G4 obverse and fair to AG reverse. Net AG3 but a high end one.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 here.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seemed interesting to me that for this poor a grade that the date was full and the center of the reverse was full. Kind of odd sequence of events.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ag3

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse good, reverse fair because a lot of wear. Overall grade Fair. I would price at more because of obverse but that doesn't make it a higher grade. Eye appeal is not a higher grade just a higher price. Everything is subjective, so jmo.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

AG-3. I think for a FR-2 you need to have to look at the coin for a moment to figure out what it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file