Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Milestone completed for my collection

The primary focus of my collection is my Cardinals team set collection. Other than that, the most important secondary focus is my Topps complete set project. Back approximately in 2004, I set out to slowly but surely build sets going backward while obtaining the new set that came out every year. No factory sets. Actually, my new sets from 2004 and up came from my wonderful parents. They knew about my project and have bought me a new hand collated set every year for Christmas. I would always grab the Traded / Update set myself when it came out. As a side note...can you imagine paying $35 for a 2011 Topps Update Set? I did!

Through the years I have been very methodical during the process. Generally, I would not start set until I was finished with the one I was working on going backwards in order. There is an exception. While I was still working on a set in the early 1960s I came into a low grade 1953 Topps near set. I went ahead and finished it. Several months ago I also went out of order to complete my 1955 Topps set because I found an affordable Clemente RC.

My goal all along was not to have the nicest set. My goal was simply completion in the condition that I could afford at the time. For the more vintage sets, my goal was usually presentable low grade, but sometimes I would end up with a nice set for different reasons. I remember my 1972 set being super sharp even though I didn't set out for it to be. Turns out, my 1954 set that I just finished is in very presentable VG condition.

Having said all of that, I just completed my 1954 Topps set yesterday (pending receipt from USPS). The Willie Mays will be arriving any moment. The Ernie Banks will be arriving early this coming week. Needless to say, I am super excited.

By the way....much thanks to people here who have helped me along the way. I was able to purchase many of my want lists on the BST board here. A couple of times I was stunned and surprised at the generosity of people here sending my needs for free! I am grateful to any and all who assisted during this 17 year process.

Just wanted to share a thread in celebration of completing a major milestone. Too bad Topps didn't make a set in 1952. What a special set that would have been. Can you imagine how iconic a Mickey Mantle card from 1952 would have been? I can picture it now....a young Mick holding a bat with nothing but the blue sky in the background! Sometimes my imagination gets the better of me. If Topps would have made a set in 1952, I can't fathom how expensive it would be! It's a good thing they didn't! Since they didn't make a 1952 set, my run is finally complete!

:(

Shane

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the completion! Now let's see some highlights! B)

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Congrats on the completion! Now let's see some highlights! B)

I second this!! Nice job and what an accomplishment!

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

You had me going for a second with that 1952 thing...

Really sweet Mays.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Shane,

I knew you collected sets, but I didn't realize you went back to 1953. Congratulations on completing the Topps sets back to that year.

And you barely mentioned your unbelievable Cardinals autographed cards collection, which is beyond unbelievable and is, as you say, your primary focus!

David

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    Shane,

I knew you collected sets, but I didn't realize you went back to 1953. Congratulations on completing the Topps sets back to that year.

And you barely mentioned your unbelievable Cardinals autographed cards collection, which is beyond unbelievable and is, as you say, your primary focus!

David

Actually, the autographs are not my primary focus. My regular Cardinals team sets are. The autographs are probably 3rd on my list of priorities. I have just shared more of those on this board. My entire journey for the autographs is chronicled in one thread that started in 2007. Good to hear from you again, Judge Buckingham! By the way....many of the vintage Cardinals cards in my team sets came from a purchase from you probably back in 2002 or so when we met at your house!

Shane

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment! What a feat!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I remember having many Cardinals cards from the 50s in that group of cards that you bought. If I remember correctly, you bought a car-load of cards. At the time, I thought I was getting rid of stuff I no longer wanted. I can't remember what you bought, other than the Cardinals cards and a 1958 Topps yellow letters group of cards. I'm sure if I knew now what you bought, I would have seller's remorse. Again, congratulations on your collections. I especially love the autographed cards., but I know the satisfaction you feel in completing the vintage Topps sets.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Shane!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2021 6:08PM

Congratulations on completing an iconic set! Love the ‘54s as it’s the first time the headshots that Topps would use for 3 straight years appear on a baseball card.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Congratulations Shane!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. That is awesome.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your great collection.
    I love the 54's and even in mid grade it must be a challenge.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the milestone! I recently started the pursuit of a 1954 Red Heart set. It was a good year for baseball cards! Taking a similar approach, looking for presentable, mid-grade examples I can afford.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Very cool Congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Impressive. For me and Dodgers, even just the 52 Topps team set is pretty much out of my comfort zone, spending wise. I have never actually sat down and cataloged the team sets, but I suspect I am missing a few cheap surprises here and there into the 90s, aside from the obvious big hitters I don't have which is mainly most of the 52 Hi Numbers and the 1963 Ken McMullen RC, another I will probably never own. I have not kept up with new team sets either, other than I try to buy 2 of the special factory team sets they have packaged since 2006. I can't find a single unopened 2006 team set, but have the rest 2007-2020 (x2).

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 9:48PM

I thought I would add a couple of pictures to this thread. I have all of my sets in albums. The 1954 Banks was the last card to complete the run.

Of course, the 2021 Topps Update set isn't out yet.... But I'm ready when it happens!

I don't have 2021 Topps base yet. It has been a 16 year tradition for my parents to get me a set for Christmas. I don't want to assume..... But.... I want to give them the opportunity! They have bought me every year from 2004 to 2020. That is one reason I will never sell them.

20210712_100829

20210712_100844

Shane