Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone used the bidding site HiBid?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed up for it today based on a tip from a member about a Barber half with an ANACS photo certificate. I registered and than placed a bid well above the current bid. The entire time it said my bid was pending and then when internet bidding closed is said my bid was not accepted. Does that mean there was already a max bid higher than my my max bid?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It would have told you your were outbid

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    No. It would have told you your were outbid

My bid said pending and had to be approved by the auctioneer. Apparently it was never approved, not sure why.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently I won a coin in an auction by Legend. To place a bid I had to register at HiBid. I did so and I placed my max bid. I then received an email from someone at Legend that said the following:
    “Thank you for registering for our auction! It seems you have not bid with us before, in order for us to accept your bids please provide us with industry references or proof of purchase from a coin dealer or auction house.”

I sent them pictures of a couple of receipts I had from coin dealers and they said I was approved and that my bid had been accepted. I ended up winning the coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch! It looks like you really needed the coin too. (your signature).

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 9:24PM

@Mr_Spud said:
    Recently I won a coin in an auction by Legend. To place a bid I had to register at HiBid. I did so and I placed my max bid. I then received an email from someone at Legend that said the following:
    “Thank you for registering for our auction! It seems you have not bid with us before, in order for us to accept your bids please provide us with industry references or proof of purchase from a coin dealer or auction house.”

I sent them pictures of a couple of receipts I had from coin dealers and they said I was approved and that my bid had been accepted. I ended up winning the coin.

Hmmm, I can understand that for a high dollar coin, but a coin that is a few hundred bucks? I would be a little pissed if I was the consigner and the auctioneer didn't sell my coin to the highest bidder.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was weird. But I did it anyway because I liked the coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hibid is a platform like Proxibid or LiveAuctioneers. It has different companies run their auctions on the platform. Some auctions are live, some are timed, and some are shown on various venues. Some charge cc, some send invoices, some want wire transfers if sale is over a certain amount. Sime will not send to PO Boxes. Some will not ship and refer you to the local UPSstore or other packing and shipping company. Some will have 'reserves' and item shows up again in a few weeks.

What company was your half dollar selling with? Some want to check you before allowing you to bid, as well as HiBid approving your account.

• Options

"What company was your half dollar selling with? Some want to check you before allowing you to bid, as well as HiBid approving your account."

Temchack Auctions LLC

• Options

that is too bad your bid did not get in, I am not sure how companies decide about first time bidders

• Options

The Hibid auction platform has been down for a few days now. It is used by many independent auction houses around the world. Most auctions are being postponed from numerous emails I have received. One mentioned the company is owned by Sandhills Global and under a ransomware attack (I have no idea if this is correct).

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I use it. Yes, It's down because of a ransomware attack. I won a lot of 1909 VDBs in an old cigar box and got a surprise along with it.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the website showing the 500+ lots in the upcoming Legend Auctions current Regency Auction 48, with loads of phenomenal “Collector” coins, is down too. That two day auction is scheduled for 3-1/2 weeks from now, so hopefully that website will be back up and able to handle viewing of lots shortly. There’s seven lots that I’m VERY interested in!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see stuff like this on HiBid I run away. No thanks.
    Lance.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 4:12AM

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

My understanding is that HiBid is only the “Platform”, and not the Seller. They host MANY different sellers, just like eBay is a platform that hosts many different Sellers. Some eBay sellers are fair and honest, and there are others on eBay that sell coins that are way over graded, and/or clearly way overpriced, and still other sellers on eBay that sell counterfeit coins. I choose not to cut off my nose to spite my face, but instead being willing to look at various offerings by honest sellers on eBay and using what I have learned to find coins with very nice eye appeal that are priced in a fair manner. HiBid as a platform is no different!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

My understanding is that HiBid is only the “Platform”, and not the Seller. They host MANY different sellers, just like eBay is a platform that hosts many different Sellers. Some eBay sellers are fair and honest, and there are others on eBay that sell coins that are way over graded, and/or clearly way overpriced, and still other sellers on eBay that sell counterfeit coins. I choose not to cut off my nose to spite my face, but instead being willing to look at various offerings by honest sellers on eBay and using what I have learned to find coins with very nice eye appeal that are priced in a fair manner. HiBid as a platform is no different!

Steve

That is correct.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Sandhills has been held up for ransom and HiBid is just one of many of their auction platforms. They are also huge in construction equipment, farm equipment, airplanes and boat auctions. All down. Lots of jobs affected. I expect that they will be back any day now and Legend's auction won't be impacted.

LiveAuctioneers, Proxibid, Invaluable and AuctionZip all up and running normally, for all you fellow treasure hunters out there. Yes, there are iridescent coins to be avoided but there are also remarkable finds to be had if you have the knowledge to cherrypick them.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been several counterfeits listed there but there has been no way to communicate with them the issue, at least for me...

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    There have been several counterfeits listed there but there has been no way to communicate with them the issue, at least for me...

I saw both of those and contacted the auction site owners. The 1806 Small 6 w/stems was pulled. The one with the phony FE had a few phony silver dollars as well. One was a double struck 1893-S. He pulled that one. LOL

• Options

Here are the other coins the seller of
    the 1856 had:

![](https://us.v-cdn.n

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

The screenshots show the "Contact Auctioneer" button. Yes, there is a way to notify them of counterfeits but it's up to each individual auctioneer if they pull them. This should tell you all you need to know about the sellers honesty. Some are deliberately selling fakes and some just had them consigned and don't want to sell fakes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file