Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just picked up a 1975 OPC Aaron PSA 8 for $225.

The next lowest buy it now for any regular Aaron PSA 8 is a 1973 for $285 and a 1976 for $310. Both topps. The opc is so hard to get an Aaron PSA 8 in any year. Stoked about this!!!

In fact there are only 4 PSA 8 OPC Aaron's on all of ebay. 3 1969 and 1 1971. All asking prices are $1,700 and up.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭

Good pickup. I like the OPC cards of Aaron and Mays and will buy when the price is right. Congrats.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Better not to say anything till it's in hand. Very Jealous!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Congrats on the pick up. Not an extremely tough card and in fact pre pandemic prices we’re probably 100-150ish range. Just further points out prices are returning to more normal levels.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topps 8 averaging around $325. One sale at $290 some at $350.

1975 Topps population - PSA 8 pop 573 PSA 9 pop 41 total graded 2,800

1975 OPC population - PSA 8 pop 45 psa 9 pop 8 total graded 125

Like I said above very hard card to get in psa 8. And getting a pack of 1975 opc unopened, not cheap or easy.

• Options

great card. the one i purchased is off-centered. nothing like the 9. that's got to be a $2,000 card.

• Options

grote,

nope, not enough sales. no one is really sure of their value. once bonds, gwynn, johnson, ryan opc sales became more common, their values doubled or more than topps counterpart.

same thing with wrestling cards. once there a few sales hogan, etc started going up quick.

• Options

grote,

consider opc to be a variation of the topps card. kind of like the johnson marlboro card. but there are far more johnson variations to be had than vintage opc cards.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Olb31
    I’ve been offered quite a bit more but not looking to sell it. Pop was 7 and now 8. Can’t see it getting past 10-15.

• Options

i bet. nice pick up.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Tim.

But I still wouldn’t trade many of my low pop OPC’s for their regular issue counterparts.

roughcutsforever

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    I agree with Tim.

But I still wouldn’t trade many of my low pop OPC’s for their regular issue counterparts.

roughcutsforever

I agree. I love my OPC cards and the rough cuts...my 73 OPC set contains several pack fresh pop 1 PSA 10s (at least they were pop 1s the last time I checked). My PSA 9 OPC pack run from 1970-1979 is also one I hold near and dear.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Olb,
    Your pick up was a great one especially that of someone of Aaron’s caliber but Grote is spot on with his posts about OPC baseball.
    As far as the price that you paid it seems like a great deal on a niche card. One that you could even make a profit on if you wanted to. My point is that we all need to look at the values and history of sales prior to say the last 6 months.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pic up I can agree it will never be more valuable than the topps version in the long run.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Been hearing the "wait till collectors start noticing/appreciating OPC" argument for 20 years now. It's not happening. That's the reason the PSA 8 Aaron OPC sells for lower than the Topps version despite the much lower pop.

OPC baseball will always be a niche market. Most collectors collect what they were familiar with growing up and very few kids in Canada collected baseball to begin with where hockey has always ruled.

This is coming from a long time collector of OPC baseball packs and sets.

I would say that some people are willing to bid on O.P.C. cards. I was way too low on this one!

PSA 9 1973 O-Pee-Chee #654 Minnesota Twins Team Card Rod Carew Harmon Killebrew
    Item Sold
    Condition:
    --not specified
    Ended:
    Jun 13, 2021 , 9:26PM
    Winning bid:
    US $360.77
    [ 11 bids ]
    Shipping:
    $4.50 Standard Shipping
    Item location:
    Hugo, Minnesota, United States
    Seller:
    thesouthpawcards (19565 )

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2021 9:55PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:
    Been hearing the "wait till collectors start noticing/appreciating OPC" argument for 20 years now. It's not happening. That's the reason the PSA 8 Aaron OPC sells for lower than the Topps version despite the much lower pop.

OPC baseball will always be a niche market. Most collectors collect what they were familiar with growing up and very few kids in Canada collected baseball to begin with where hockey has always ruled.

This is coming from a long time collector of OPC baseball packs and sets.

I would say that some people are willing to bid on O.P.C. cards. I was way too low on this one!

PSA 9 1973 O-Pee-Chee #654 Minnesota Twins Team Card Rod Carew Harmon Killebrew
    Item Sold
    Condition:
    --not specified
    Ended:
    Jun 13, 2021 , 9:26PM
    Winning bid:
    US $360.77
    [ 11 bids ]
    Shipping:
    $4.50 Standard Shipping
    Item location:
    Hugo, Minnesota, United States
    Seller:
    thesouthpawcards (19565 )

Twins fans don't count, they're nuts to begin with. ;)

Case in point: the last 2 PSA 9 Topps #654 Twins team cards sold for well over $600 each or still almost twice the value of the PSA 9 OPC version.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do 72 OPC Clemente's sell for more than topps? Does it just depend on the year?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 10:50PM

@coolstanley said:
    Why do 72 OPC Clemente's sell for more than topps? Does it just depend on the year?

That is not accurate. A PSA 9 1972 Topps Clemente has a higher average sale price than the OPC.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1972-o-pee-chee/roberto-clemente/values/246188#g=9

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1972-topps/roberto-clemente/values/190786#g=9

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@coolstanley said:

That is not accurate. A PSA 9 1972 Topps Clemente has a higher average sale price than the OPC.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1972-o-pee-chee/roberto-clemente/values/246188#g=9

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1972-topps/roberto-clemente/values/190786#g=9

Ok, I was looking at PSA 8 lol.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@grote15 said:

Twins fans don't count, they're nuts to begin with. ;)

Killebrew fans sir to be precise! ;-)

Case in point: the last 2 PSA 9 Topps #654 Twins team cards sold for well over $600 each or still almost twice the value of the PSA 9 OPC version.

Interesting!

I remember when I first started picking up Team cards because "Killebrew was on there somewhere", you could usually get NM/MT ones for 5 bucks, League Leaders cards were next to nothing too!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

There is no rhyme or reason as to why some opc sale for more than topps. I put a discussion out about this several months ago. I really think it has to do with the volume of sales/listings more than anything. Grote would gladly trade you his 1987 topps bonds psa 10 for your 1987 opc bonds psa 10. Or his 1983 topps sandberg psa 10 for your 1983 opc sandberg psa 10.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1973 Topps Twins team card happens to be a very tough low pop card. I don’t know whether the OPC version is tough relative to other cards in that set.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    There is no rhyme or reason as to why some opc sale for more than topps. I put a discussion out about this several months ago. I really think it has to do with the volume of sales/listings more than anything. Grote would gladly trade you his 1987 topps bonds psa 10 for your 1987 opc bonds psa 10. Or his 1983 topps sandberg psa 10 for your 1983 opc sandberg psa 10.

There are certainly exceptions in the cases of rookie cards in particular due to master player sets on the registry but overall OPC is never going to approach the popularity or value of Topps cards, and the card values and pop report figures illustrate that.

• Options

I have some OPC and will continue to buy more as I enjoy them and like the fact that there are not a lot out there. It is a niche market with few sales and usually I can negotiate to the last comp at a worst case scenario. The last comp is often several months to 1 year plus. Because of this prices remain stagnant and move up slowly.

It would take a massive demand shift for that to change. Could it happen? Sure - Tiffany and Dessert Shield have gotten popular. Is it likely? I would say no. But who knows one collector with a big social media following could tout the rarity and value of OPC tomorrow - interest could increase, and prices could rise above Topps as supply is not high. But as others have pointed out - supply has always been lower with demand more than proportionally lower than Topps.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if I am the typical collector or not, but my main collecting interest is cards I owned as a kid, and I have no interest in OPC.

• Options

The regular Topps Twins team is a tough card in PSA 9. I’m assuming some of the interest in the OPC Twins team would be for either the Carew or Killebrew player registry? Which brings us back to the power of the registry which was so important to the success of PSA. And still is IMO. I really hope that the new powers that make decisions eventually make it possible for cards to be graded at a reasonable price for registry purposes again.

• Options

@Dgofwinter said:
    The regular Topps Twins team is a tough card in PSA 9. I’m assuming some of the interest in the OPC Twins team would be for either the Carew or Killebrew player registry? Which brings us back to the power of the registry which was so important to the success of PSA. And still is IMO. I really hope that the new powers that make decisions eventually make it possible for cards to be graded at a reasonable price for registry purposes again.

Hear, hear!

• Options

Just did a little research on Nolan Ryan. 1985 is the oldest PSA 10 of an OPC sale on Ebay for the last 3 months. There are none older than that. Topps goes back to 1974 PSA 10. From 1985 to 1990 the OPC cards sale for considerably more than the topps. It looks like starting with 1983, OPC has begun to overtake Topps in price. When I noted the differences in a separate discussion months ago, the consensus was that the opc following was much smaller than the topps. BUt it looks like OPC has built a decent stronghold from 1983 and up.

• Options

@Dgofwinter said:

For some or even most this could be true. For me (I do happen to be #2 on the Killebrew Master registry set), it is not.

I was collecting high grade Killebrew cards, including the Team cards, prior to the emergence of the third party grading companies.

The registry was a brilliant idea, but I feel secondary to the fact that PSA is simply the favorite grading company out there_ by far_, so it's only logical that their registry will be popular.

I have several items I need to get graded for my set, but not at the current prices, the "Set" came before the "Registry Set" for me. I am not going to spend $150.00 to grade a $5.00 item just so I can be #1.

I have a friend and fellow Killebrew collector who is not interested in the registry who has a Killebrew collection that blows mine away.

• Options

Lol… I wasn’t singling you out with my OPC Twins registry comment but since you brought it up… you are 1000% into the registry and competing. You even post that you bid on the OPC Twins PSA 9. If you weren’t into the registry then your PSA 8 would suffice. And you wouldn’t constantly remind us that you have the #2 set and have your accolades of prior certificates in at the bottom of ur posts. And you wouldnt make the effort to upload photos of all ur Killebrew cards.(which are awesome by the way).And it’s all good cause the registry IS a major factor with PSA. And you should be proud of your amazing Killebrew set. And it’s ok to admit that you would like to be #1. That’s the passion and fun of collecting. And if it makes you happy then that’s all that matters. The registry is thee only reason that card sold for what it did.

• Options

@Dgofwinter said:
    Lol… I wasn’t singling you out with my OPC Twins registry comment but since you brought it up… you are 1000% into the registry and competing. You even post that you bid on the OPC Twins PSA 9. If you weren’t into the registry then your PSA 8 would suffice. And you wouldn’t constantly remind us that you have the #2 set and have your accolades of prior certificates in at the bottom of ur posts. And you wouldnt make the effort to upload photos of all ur Killebrew cards.(which are awesome by the way).And it’s all good cause the registry IS a major factor with PSA. And you should be proud of your amazing Killebrew set. And it’s ok to admit that you would like to be #1. That’s the passion and fun of collecting. And if it makes you happy then that’s all that matters. The registry is thee only reason that card sold for what it did.

If I was 1000% into the registry, I would have won that OPC card.

The majority of my set was put together before PSA even was in existence. It's nice to have a top set, but I would have bid on the 9 either way as I like high grade cards. My focus has been on 9's, I can't usually afford 10's and 8's are OK, but I would rather have a 9.

Notice the lack of 10's in my set, one was self submitted and the other(s) were bargains. I don't see "breaking the bank" on a 10 over a 9. If I was "1000%" into the registry, I would have picked up several 10's along the way. I also passed on a 9 a while back as I have an 8.5 (1960 Killebrew).

Am I proud that I have a nice set? Of course, I'm human. The reason I post photos of them is because another collector asked me to share the images of my collection and kind of called me selfish, for not.

Thanks for the kind words on my set.

The registry is fun, but not nearly as important as you think.

• Options

The registry is very fun for collectors therefore it is important. I respect your opinions but I guess we can agree to disagree. And once again your Killebrew set is incredible. Congrats on it. I enjoyed looking at your photos of the Killebrew eye candy

• Options
    edited June 26, 2021 11:12PM

Glad you enjoyed my set. I think it should be #1, but I just might be a little biased.

• Options

just got a 1967 mantle opc psa 5 for $410. stoked again!! the 1967 opc mantle is the rarest mantle ever graded that came in a pack of cards. only 140 ever graded. to get a 5 for this price is unbelievable. just thought i would share this fantastically rare pickup.

• Options

Congrats.. can’t wait to see pics of your Aaron and Mick

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    just got a 1967 mantle opc psa 5 for $410. stoked again!! the 1967 opc mantle is the rarest mantle ever graded that came in a pack of cards. only 140 ever graded. to get a 5 for this price is unbelievable. just thought i would share this fantastically rare pickup.

The rarest Mantle that came in a pack might be the 1959 Venezuelan Mantle.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

Wow, congrats on the pickup, @olb31 ! 1967 OPC is so tough.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@jayhawke said:

@olb31 said:

probably. I have never seen a pack of venezuelan cards, wasn't sure how they were distributed.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@jayhawke said:

@olb31 said:

probably. I have never seen a pack of venezuelan cards, wasn't sure how they were distributed.

You got a great card at what seems like a good/affordable price. The '59 Venezuela Mantle will run a few grand for a beater.

• Options

What does a Venezuelan pack look like? I do not think I have ever seen one.

• Options

@brad31 said:

I have never seen a Venezuelan pack from the years they were produced, 1959,1960,1962,1964,1966,1967 and 1968. They don’t seem to exist. I would imagine they looked similar to the Topps American counter version, but just in Spanish.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

@brad31 said:

I have never seen a Venezuelan pack from the years they were produced, 1959,1960,1962,1964,1966,1967 and 1968. They don’t seem to exist. I would imagine they looked similar to the Topps American counter version, but just in Spanish.

>
    most venezuelan packs came and still do for the most part in “envelopes” vs what we think of as “packs”.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@jayhawke said:

@brad31 said:

>
    most venezuelan packs came and still do for the most part in “envelopes” vs what we think of as “packs”.

Thanks blurry - that is what I guessed from what I could find on it.

• Options

Thus, the packs and boxes we are accustomed to from Topps and OPC, the 1967 opc Mantle would be the rarest graded by PSA ever. Only 120. It's hard to believe that after 30 years of grading only 120 1967 opc mantle's have been graded. Much rather spend $400 on a nice rare card like this then $400 on a 2020 Basketball rookie.