Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Alexander Tetradrachm - Real? Worth It?

Hi everyone.

Here's another puzzler. Trying to decide whether to pounce on this one. Seller says: It is 16.8 grams
25.36 mm diameter and 4.72 mm thickness

Says he got it from Heritage Auctions - as an early posthumous. That seems to be what I came to as well, although I can't find the exact Price number. If anyone knows, let me know.

I can get it for just under 300$ , uncertified. He says he will guarantee authenticity. In that regard, it is only the pitted surface on the obverse that worries me. Otherwise, I just want to get a sense of whether the price is right.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

kinda looks like sea salvage and graffiti from the images

• Options

@tcollects said:

I was thinking saltwater could explain the dimples. Having a harder time quantifying the value - seems like auction prices are generally through the roof though...

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@Whatisthiscoin said:

@tcollects said:

I was thinking saltwater could explain the dimples. Having a harder time quantifying the value - seems like auction prices are generally through the roof though...

I imagine most collectors wouldn't want it - usually better to pass on problem coins or buy really cheap

if I looked at that in hand and convinced myself it's not a cast fake, seems like at $100 it would be hard to lose money on

• Options

@tcollects said:

@Whatisthiscoin said:

@tcollects said:

I imagine most collectors wouldn't want it - usually better to pass on problem coins or buy really cheap

if I looked at that in hand and convinced myself it's not a cast fake, seems like at $100 it would be hard to lose money on

That is very good advice thank you!

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

I would have to thoroughly examine the edge. If it appears to have a rather uniform "seam" (even a faint one) around it, I would call it a cast fake. But, as has been said previously, seawater could account for the pitted surface.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

If in doubt ... pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks fake to me
    The edge, the portrait, the porosity all raise red flags IMO

• Options
    KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Looks like a genuine Amphipolis issue to me. Weight suggests it is not a casting. J.P.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this coin has divided opinion. ;)

For my own observations, the pitting looks more like corrosion damage than casting evidence to me. I'd pay US$300 for it, if I didn't already have an Alexander tet I was happy with.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

@Sapyx said:
    I see this coin has divided opinion. ;)

For my own observations, the pitting looks more like corrosion damage than casting evidence to me. I'd pay US$300 for it, if I didn't already have an Alexander tet I was happy with.

Man, divided is an understatement! Now I really don't know what to do...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I give up I'll vote for Zohar's!
    Seriously the OP coin also struck (ha ha) me as legit but environmental corrosion damage. IMHO, it is still attractive.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.