Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wander Franco

Just got called up by the Rays several hours ago. Batting 2nd vs the Red Sox. Not sure if anyone else has been following him/follows the minors and rookies closely too? Excited to see what the kid can do with all the hype. Guess we finally get to see a Topps Update RC in October.

"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball"
Charlie Hustle

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched his first AB. Impressive walk and then scored on an error.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Bull_BearBull_Bear Posts: 86 ✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Watched his first AB. Impressive walk and then scored on an error.

Agreed. Switched over from the Jays game to watch it. No debating the Rays have some of the best if not the best scouting and development in baseball.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

been following him for a while. grandpa lives in st pete now but was pretty influential back in the day as a city councilman in bringing the team to fla. was hoping they woulda brought it home for him in the world series last season. but for the payroll they had, he was still all smiles.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    been following him for a while. grandpa lives in st pete now but was pretty influential back in the day as a city councilman in bringing the team to fla. was hoping they woulda brought it home for him in the world series last season. but for the payroll they had, he was still all smiles.

Blurry, what’s the skinny on the new ball park? Look like they’re going to get one? Montreal? Give us the scoop 🤓

Charlie Hustle

• Options

Franco just hit a 3 run HR

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boom

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Got a boatload of his colored BC Autos at PSA waiting to be graded- this is my only slabbed one back so far
    I've been sitting on it since November waiting for that call up
    Also have a few other knick knacks I picked up during Covid shut down from panic selling on the cheap
    Generally don't do anything post 2008= but just too many goodies cheap during that time I dipped my fingers into the ultra modern pools more than once :#

• Options

@blurryface said:

sorry, prolly wasnt clear enough. gramps is now 87. i was talking about him helping bringing the rays to tampa way back in the day. and actually even before then when miami snaked the fla expansion deal.

• Options

as far as the new stadium goes, he’s still there all together to know that recent stadium design would never work. 😉

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 7:56PM

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

sorry, prolly wasnt clear enough. gramps is now 87. i was talking about him helping bringing the rays to tampa way back in the day. and actually even before then when miami snaked the fla expansion deal.

No worries Blurry. You were clear. Maybe it was me that wasn’t clear lol. I was semi joking when I asked but figured why the heck not ask when you mentioned that. Coupled with always providing quality posts too! 👍🏻

Sounds like the Athletics might end up in Vegas soon.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

@Bull_Bear said:

Not to get too sidetracked, but I suspect that Arod and friends are targeting Vegas as the future home of the Timberwolves as well.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 8:33PM

@baz518 said:

@Bull_Bear said:

Not to get too sidetracked, but I suspect that Arod and friends are targeting Vegas as the future home of the Timberwolves as well.

Instantly brought me back to the Runnin’ Rebels and Tark the Shark when I read your post. Hopefully they change their nickname if that move happens. Las Vegas Timberwolves would sound as bad as the Utah Jazz after relocating from New Orleans.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Great highlight clip, thanks Mike. His HR was pretty damn impressive. Low and in and he just crushes it. Another AB, he legs out a double.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Like everyone else, I have like 30 of Wander's rookies. Some PSA slabbed as tens. I love the Kevin Maas pic - I also still have 30 of his rookie card as well! Oh, and Scott Coolbaugh, etc... :)

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

This dropped at Topps - went so fast, I had no chance of even seeing it and I was looking!

But, when I saw how much the /99 was? Not gonna pay 400 bucks for his auto - not in my budget.

Mike
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    This dropped at Topps - went so fast, I had no chance of even seeing it and I was looking!

But, when I saw how much the /99 was? Not gonna pay 400 bucks for his auto - not in my budget.

Can you imagine if this concept was around circa 1987-1988??? The 1/99s for all of those "can't miss" prospects that we all coveted? And spending $400 for one...sheesh.
    kevin

• Options

Oh my.

If I start looking at all those guys? I may have to shoot myself!

There's good here and very bad...

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

and this was just the call up. 2 more coming probably just off last nights game...

• Options

@tulsaboy said:

@Stone193 said:

>

Can you imagine if this concept was around circa 1987-1988??? The 1/99s for all of those "can't miss" prospects that we all coveted? And spending $400 for one...sheesh.
    kevin

imagine the bonds season & sosa/mcgwire race after each homerun...

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Pete Incaviglia coming off best college season in history.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2021 5:23PM

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    How about Pete Incaviglia coming off best college season in history.

Wow, haven’t heard that name in ages. I’m getting old. Next thing I thought of was Robin Ventura getting his ace whooped by Nolan Ryan at age 44ish.

Edit he was 46. Even more embarrassing when you’re 26.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:

@Stone193 said:

kevin

That Danny Tartabull /99 would be 🔥!

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I believe in 2018 the Acuna signed 1/199 were sold by Topps Now for either $199 or $249. They are gouging the collector. My kids will never collect any type of cardboard, they are priced out of the market.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Time will tell. Has 2 hits in 19 at bats, so hype & "want him to be good because I have his cards" don't make it so.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

A brick of Hensley Mullens tops a brick of Kevin Maas. And who was that pitcher that graced every Beckett for a year billed as the next Nolan Ryan? I believe they were on the cover together.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    A brick of Hensley Mullens tops a brick of Kevin Maas. And who was that pitcher that graced every Beckett for a year billed as the next Nolan Ryan? I believe they were on the cover together.

Todd VanPopple

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I pulled this in April 2019, sold it in in May 2019 for $522.25... oops.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@2dueces said:

Todd VanPopple

Brien Taylor came to mind too.

Charlie Hustle

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said: I pulled this in April 2019, sold it in in May 2019 for $522.25... oops.

Better to sell a day early than a day late...... never look back, too much anguish.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Ripped two boxes of Sterling the other night. First pack of box #1 on the left. Second pack on the right.

Arthur

better hurry - redemption expires in one month!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2021 9:16AM

finally. back to borders in 2022!

looks clean & classic.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figured he would not be in Update but was hoping he would be.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

hitting .209 with 2 hr's.............keep hoping

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

@blurryface said:
    finally. back to borders in 2022!

looks clean & classic.

Agreed. 2022 design looks really good!

Charlie Hustle