Home Sports Talk
Options

Tampa Bay. 8. Islanders. 0

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to make fun of any Islander fans here, but is this the most lob sided playoff shutout in sports history ?

8-0 in hockey is like 16-0 in baseball or 56-0 in football. There are never shutouts in basketball.

Was there ever anything else like this in the playoffs, or did we just see history made ?

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

January 23, 1944: Detroit 15, New York Rangers 0

Not a playoff game, but I did some digging and found this result.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Not to make fun of any Islander fans here, but is this the most lob sided playoff shutout in sports history ?

8-0 in hockey is like 16-0 in baseball or 56-0 in football. There are never shutouts in basketball.

Was there ever anything else like this in the playoffs, or did we just see history made ?

Playoff NHL is on another level. Very intense. It adds a lot to the equation here. Yes, extremely one sided and rare indeed.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 5:32PM

not going to go through the records for all playoff games, but for those either in the semifinals or finals that involved a shutout...

1, 1944 Montreal 11 - 0 over the Leafs in Game 5 in the semifinals

2A. 1991 Pittsburgh 8 - 0 over the North Stars in Game 6 in the semifinals
    2B. 2021 Tampa Bay 8 - 0 over the Isles in Game 5 in the semifinals.

actually looks like #1 is the biggest NHL playoff blowout either way. Second would be the Oilers over the Kings 13-3 in 1987

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a sight to see the New York Saints get 57 PIM. Curious to see what happens in game 6.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that game did hurt me. But it will make it that much sweeter when the Islanders eliminate Tampa Bay Friday night.

It's not over yet.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonight’s the night.
    It’s gonna be alright.
    Because I love you NY
    Nothing’s gonna stop us now