Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

99% sure this is a marker stain but just want to confirm.

luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2021 5:41PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Marker stain , right?

Here's a closer picture of the ink or mark??

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell. It appears to be same color as the seal and serial numbers, and the over inking of a portion of the serial number above it suggests there might have been some spatter involved. Cool find.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    Hard to tell. It appears to be same color as the seal and serial numbers, and the over inking of a portion of the serial number above it suggests there might have been some spatter involved. Cool find.

Do you think this is a keeper?
    Is there a slight premium value to this note if it is what we think it is?

Thanks Steve!!

• luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I like it!

Thank you!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was some other colour I'd think your 99% would be right - but I concur with the others that the colour is just too close to the seal and S/N colour.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 7:18AM

My guess is that it's a legitimate minor error, but that's just an educated guess.

Note the heavy inking on the "15" of the serial numbers and two ink smears within the seal. Some filled letters in the seal would also be an indication of overinking, but I'm not seeing that. However, the heavily printed serial numbers suggest just a bit too much ink on the plate.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat find - don't know about a premium but I'd keep it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"