Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dime Hunting - 1976 Topps - Down to 5 - thanks all

Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t had much to purchase or rip, but going through some old raw sets in hopes of building a big enough stash to submit once things open up down the road.

Found 30 pretty good 76’s that are lower population 10’s for the most part. Will probably whittle these 30 down to the best few. Would love your input. Backs are generally very well centered, nothing worse than 60-40. Most better than that. Surfaces seemed free of dents or bubbles or things trapped in the cardboard layers.

Anyway, which are the best half dozen (or so)? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Bosox1976

Comments

• Options

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were mine, I'd probably eliminate all of the ones in that sample that have fish eyes (looks like there are several). I know they sometimes sneak into 10 holders, but for the most part I don't like to see them on 10's that I own.

House and Niekro look good from here.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take out any that you see with white surface dots. I feel they give me 7s every time for just 2-3 small specs

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Naturally we focus on corners and centering. However, print dots, specks, snow, or whatever you want to call it can be the kiss of death. Not saying it will, but point being is we often overlook printing/surface when screening cards. I know I do it. Corner sharp and centered!!! Woo hoo. But it’s the more subtle things that can kill a 10.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, Unless its the scanner, Cash Lolich, Rudi and Garr have a lot of snow.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the comments. They are seemingly being tougher on printing issues. So any snow on the surface or fish eyes I’d immediately get rid of. The cash and the reggie smith are two examples.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike. Capra I would take out. Dyer looks very small (MIN SIZE). I do not see lots of snow on my end. The rest look fantastic. I'm wondering when any stuff like this is going to be able to be submitted? Good luck if you do submit these. Nice cards. 76's are really nice when they are centered like the ones you posted.

Mickey71

• Options

Great stuff guys. I have eliminated 20 of the 30, mostly for the surface concerns noted by you guys. Down to 10 possibles - any further cuts?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

I would remove Ashby due to the fisheyes.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the registration on Rick Monday as it looks a little off on my screen.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards, one of my favorite sets! Being nit-picky, the only thing I see with my old eyes are some mid and lower left edge issues on the Gene Tenace. Probably a rough cut? Two small black print dots in left border near star. Could be something on the scanner? I'm new to grading, so not sure how PSA will assess. Regardless, a nice group of 76s!

• Options

Danny and Alan both have white specks by there heads? Faint but there

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 9:18AM

Gene might have some between his eyes and along left boarder by bat in the image and by left elbow

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to mention those are beautiful 76's Mike !

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing l/r centering at the top of some of these cards would keep them out of 10 holders, even though they are most likely within 60-40 centering..I think that 60-40 thingy is a thing of the past

• Options

Thanks all. I appreciate the assistance.

I’ll let you know how it goes in about a year or two from now…. The final five:

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    Thanks all. I appreciate the assistance.

I’ll let you know how it goes in about a year or two from now…. The final five:

I might throw in a couple others to salt the submission

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 76s, Mike. One of my favorite sets from the 70s. Classic!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s hard to tell on my phone but if the Hrabosky doesn’t have snow under the bill of his helmet, is sub it. It’s a tough 9 due to that common flaw.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Really nice! I would send the Carbo in just because I love the card!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658