Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982 S Washington Half Commemorative holder? PHOTOS ADDED.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2021 11:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

OOPS! sorry about the photo.
I have had this 1982 S Commemorative Half in this holder since I bought it. The coin itself is worth very little. I have noticed on ebay hundreds of them for sale but none were in this type holder. Just curious as to why? Also, the lower 1/4th of the coin is toning quite a bit and has been stored in a safe every since I have had it. No paper of any kind near it other maybe inside the holder.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

82 was the first year of the Mint's modern commemoratives, starting with the Washington Half. Maybe folks threw away the holder not realizing collectors today want the full Mint packaging if not slabbed.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an after-market holder someone/company put together to promote the coin.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    Looks like an after-market holder someone/company put together to promote the coin.

You may be right TC. That might be why none are being offered, if so, probably through the holder away after buying. This coin is selling for $10-$15 raw and a little higher for slabbed.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

@TurtleCat said:

You may be right TC. That might be why none are being offered, if so, probably through the holder away after buying. This coin is selling for $10-$15 raw and a little higher for slabbed.
    Jim

I just did a search and found this pic which shows the holder I remember coming from the mint.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been a fan of this commemorative. It does not hold much value, but I love the design and historic aspect.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember it was a big deal back then.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generic aftermarket holder. Notice that it does not mention this specific commemorative half.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sold millions of these coins back in 1982. I think the current commemorative half dollar barely sold 20,000 so far, BU and Proof combined. For as much money as they are charging, they really should be silver again

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2021 12:23PM

Wonder why they made them smaller than the normal half dollars, even commemoratives. 1982 was after the big silver boom and price had normalized. I wouldn't think silver content controlled the size at that time. Just curious. Nearly 5 million made and probably most of them still available.
    Jim

Edited to add: $7.82 per ounce in close of 1982.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Wonder why they made them smaller than the normal half dollars, even commemoratives. 1982 was after the big silver boom and price had normalized. I wouldn't think silver content controlled the size at that time. Just curious. Nearly 5 million made and probably most of them still available.
    Jim

Edited to add: $7.82 per ounce in close of 1982.

What do you mean "smaller?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Sorry, I meant weight 11.34 Grams compared to 12.50 grams. The actual size was a tiny bit larger, despite the lesser weight.
    Jim

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Sorry, I meant weight 11.34 Grams compared to 12.50 grams. The actual size was a tiny bit larger, despite the lesser weight.
    Jim

It looks like you are referencing the PCGS page, which incorrectly mentions the 11.34 grams. This commemorative is just like the 1964 Kennedy (and other silver Half Dollars) at 12.5 grams.

Incorrect weight:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1982-d-50c-washington/9600

Correct weight:
    https://moderncommemoratives.com/1982-george-washington-half-dollar/

• Options

Wow! Guess I should have weighed it. Never consider CoinFacts being wrong. Glad I asked. Now I know. Thank you so much for replying.
    Jim

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    I remember it was a big deal back then.

Yes, this issue was HUGE at the time. The first true commem since the 1950s (I didn't count the bicentennials).

They were done in 90% silver to continue the tradition of the original half dollar commems. Then Congress saw a potential cash cow for pet causes (mostly very worthwhile) and started authorizing commen silver dollars and gold coins. The half dollar commems became clad.

The Washington half was also a huge opportunity for Elizabeth Jones, chief engraver, I believe, who got to design a new coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file