Home Sports Talk

Phil Mickelson tees off on unruly US Open fans

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil Mickelson wasn't happy about fans taking pictures of him on the course.

‘It’s the video ding’: Phil Mickelson displeased with fan phones at U.S. Open

Phil Mickelson dealt repeatedly with phone-clicking fans on Thursday at the U.S. Open.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — The fans were out early at Torrey Pines on Thursday. A combination of California sun, California eased restrictions and a California major championship had thousands streaming through the gates to watch several early featured groups take on the U.S. Open.

And who better to watch than Phil Mickelson? Golf’s most recent major championship winner lives just down the road, after all. Better yet, he was paired with fellow Southern Californians Xander Schauffele and Max Homa. To top things, off, Mickelson’s birthday was on Wednesday. Plenty of reasons to cheer.

But there are obvious challenges associated with playing golf in front of a crowd. At a golf tournament, little noises can pierce the quiet air. Players flinch. Swings go awry. Buckle up. Schauffele quickly recognized there was no escaping the ruckus.

“I mean, people were very happy about his birthday,” he said. “They wished him a happy birthday on just about every hole, every 50 yards. I don’t know if he enjoyed that — but I’m sure he felt the love from the fans.”

Phil Mickeson draws a crowd.

Feeling the love comes at a price. Specifically, Mickelson felt the effects on the 13th hole, when he stepped off his second shot to remind fans to turn off their phones. Then he did it again. And again. When he finally hit the ball, it squirted left into trouble. He did well to walk off with bogey.

After his round, he expressed his frustration with the phones — and with his inability to block out the noise.

“You have to learn to deal with it,” he said. That was one side of it. “I don’t understand why you just can’t turn that little button on the side into silent,” he added. That was the other side. “I probably didn’t deal with it internally as well as I could have or as well as I need to.”

If you’re being charitable you could argue that the California crowds aren’t fully accustomed to being back out in crowds.

“I think we’ll give the fans a little break. They haven’t been out in a while,” Schauffele said. “But if they could silence their phones and the photos and everything, that would be great for us.”

Phil Mickelson tees the ball ridiculously high with his driver. Should you?
Their muting skills may have waned, while their desire to capture the action has never been higher — especially with a 51-year-old major champ in their midst.

“Yeah, it’s the video ding. They just kept going off,” Mickelson said of the incident at 13. “Look, it did it the next three or four shots thereafter, too, so it’s not like that was the first time, it’s just that I had to ask three times.”

Mickelson has long held a distaste for phone-abusing fans. At the Memorial in 2012, when phones were first approved for tournament viewers, Mickelson sent a text message to PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem from the 6th fairway making his belief clear that the policing of cell phones was severely lacking. He shot seven-over 79 and withdrew after the round.

It makes sense that Mickelson would be particularly sensitive to sounds around him. For decades he’s been the People’s Golfer, drawing the largest and most enthusiastic crowds of any golfer not named Tiger Woods. (Remember the mob charge he inspired at Kiawah just weeks ago?)

Mickelson’s frustration was no doubt compounded by the fact that he wasn’t playing very well; this was hardly the homecoming game he had in mind. He bogeyed three of his first six holes — including the par-5 13th — and managed just one birdie en route to an opening 75. Still, he said he was optimistic about his position, with the cut line well within reach. There’s a long way to go.

As for the phone-wielding fans?

“You have to be able to let that go and not let it get to you and be able to kind of compose yourself and regather your thoughts and so forth,” he said. “But they certainly didn’t do me any favors, either.”

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

The man is like a rock star on the course, the fans follow him, tell him happy birthday, take pictures of him. He can't get a moment of peace. "Leave me alone, I'm just a man hitting a golf ball, go back to your cars!"

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PGA gallery has changed in terms of respect owed to the players and it is not for the better. If you can't turn off your phone for 5-8 hours, then stay home and watch the tournament on TV...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited June 18, 2021 4:46AM

I mean just look at the PGA Championship a few weeks ago, they were all over him like stink on a gorilla, the man barely survived!

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, I feel so sorry for him :/

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Let's play "Where's Mickelson?"

He's in there somewhere.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig Phil greatly, but this is not a good look for him. I do know why it happened, however.

this particular tournament means more to him maybe than any other in his career, for a few reasons: 1) the U.S. Open is the only missing leg in his quest for the career slam. 2) he just turned 51 and the clock is ticking.......fast. 3) this year's version is in his backyard. 4) he is just a few weeks removed from pulling off the unthinkable.

so what did he do? came out with a thud in round 1......and quickly turned his attention to the fans, whom he has successfully tuned out for decades. now, all of a sudden, phones are an issue?

he played with Xander Schauffele yesterday -- who is also from San Diego where the tournament is being played -- and obviously X-man didnt have same problem (currently tied for 5th).

less excuses, better play, Philip

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is sort of amusing that someone from the "Me Generation" feels oppressed by what seems to be a bunch of "Millennials" out on the Golf Course with cell phones.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I cannot understand the craziness over any celebrity be it actor or sports player, like you want to push your way to said celebrity and do what? Touch? talk? Auto? IDk I just never really had a desire to flip out over seeing any athlete or actor in person, we don’t know these people lol

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Personally I cannot understand the craziness over any celebrity be it actor or sports player, like you want to push your way to said celebrity and do what? Touch? talk? Auto? IDk I just never really had a desire to flip out over seeing any athlete or actor in person, we don’t know these people lol

@perkdog said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Thank you for saving me some valuable posting time. :)

And also sniff. The fans like to sniff the celebrity and athletes, it is very important to know what the athlete smells like.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil wants the Masters experience - no cameras allowed on the course.

And this is a live shot of Phil Mickelson making his way to the 9th hole.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is no little secret that phil is one of the most disliked players by his peers on tour.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I mean just look at the PGA Championship a few weeks ago, they were all over him like stink on a gorilla, the man barely survived!

oh philip. wahhh. just wahh.

i saw shooter mcgavin hit it off frankenstiens big fat foot! then sank the putt.

and remember, shooter is disabled. his left arm is just a tad bit longer than his right.

@blurryface said:

@doubledragon said:

oh philip. wahhh. just wahh.

i saw shooter mcgavin hit it off frankenstiens big fat foot! then sank the putt.

and remember, shooter is disabled. his left arm is just a tad bit longer than his right.

Now we have to remember, Shooter McGavin had some problems with unruly fans as well.