Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1964 Topps Stand Up Roberto Clemente Recolored

Submitted vouchers from collectors club membership last September. Grades just popped and my 1964 Topps Stand up Clemente was bounced as recolored. I purchased this back in late 1980's early 1990's and probably paid under $25.00 so surprised it is recolored. With my eyesight i can't even see the recolor, but I do see blue behind the green. I would like to purchase one for my own collection so what am I looking for on this issue.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't a black light reveal recoloring?

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

Yes it should. There was definitely recoloring and color touchup going on in the late 80's and very early 90's. I remember reading articles about touching up corners of 1971 Topps.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@jefferyadams said:
    Submitted vouchers from collectors club membership last September. Grades just popped and my 1964 Topps Stand up Clemente was bounced as recolored. I purchased this back in late 1980's early 1990's and probably paid under $25.00 so surprised it is recolored. With my eyesight i can't even see the recolor, but I do see blue behind the green. I would like to purchase one for my own collection so what am I looking for on this issue.

It's not recolored. It's color-touched. That's the correct term for what occurred. The color-touch is most evident at the bottom edges of the 2 bottom corners. When you look closely, the c.t. is "in your face" there at those points, but there is more, all around the edges, in spots where the top layer of ink flaked off. You just have to look more closely than you do at those bottom corners. And although the color-touch is horribly mismatched now, a grayish green of a completely different hue, when applied, and unfaded by time, the green ink used to touch it up, in this case a felt-tip marker, may have been far better matched in color than it is now. That's my estimate. Color-touched sometime between 30 and 35 years ago.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

been saying it for years. a five dollar blacklight is a collectors best friend.

helps in so many ways from detecting pre-55ish glows, recoloring on newer issues and card/paper stock rebuilds and hole fill ins of all sorts.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@daltex said:

helps in so many ways from detecting pre-55ish glows, recoloring on newer issues and card/paper stock rebuilds and hole fill ins of all sorts.

While a non-selective, single wavelength Black light might prove to detect some inks, it's not conclusive for all inks, all applications.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 10:16PM

@Mo_Mentum said:

@blurryface said:

@daltex said:

While a non-selective, single wavelength Black light might prove to detect some inks, it's not conclusive for all inks, all applications.

never said we were dealing in absolutes. its pretty easy to tell when any newer ink is applied to an older card. now there certainly are exceptions and those professionals that restore books and classic paintings obviously. but for your standard scammer filing in ‘71 corners or ‘79 fisheyes w your typical markers/paint found in aisle 3 at michaels, a blacklight will be more than proficient.

• Options

@Mo_Mentum thank you for the analysis. I can now see the color-touched when i enlarge the scan. i will get a blacklight and try it out as well.

• Options

@jefferyadams said:
    @Mo_Mentum thank you for the analysis. I can now see the color-touched when i enlarge the scan. i will get a blacklight and try it out as well.

I was also going to say those bottom tips look like they were touched.

this is a very cheap useful blacklight that I have used, great at spotting where your puppy had his accidents as well

https://ebay.com/itm/111647699329

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Yes, very obvious with your nice big scan that the bottom corners are touched up. Maybe top too but it’s cut off in the image. Btw, on a related note, when I was 10 years old I took a black marker to the corners of my 1971 Nolan Ryan. I realized when I was older that was wrong!

• Options

@Constantine said:
    Yes, very obvious with your nice big scan that the bottom corners are touched up. Maybe top too but it’s cut off in the image. Btw, on a related note, when I was 10 years old I took a black marker to the corners of my 1971 Nolan Ryan. I realized when I was older that was wrong!

It's most obvious at the bottom edge/corners, and the blue "threads" in the printing UNDERNEATH and mixed in the splash kelly green ink masks the color touch slightly. This is because at one time, the color of the ink used to touch it up likely matched the green much more closely than it does now, as it's not printer's ink, soaked and feathered into the porous edges of the paper like a sponge and now looks bluish-gray rather than green. But the touch up is done all around the card where there's a green edge. It's not just the bottom edge at the corners.

This touch up is decades old. The degree of fade of the ink used to touch it is the giveaway.

• Options

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Constantine said:

It's most obvious at the bottom edge/corners, and the blue "threads" in the printing UNDERNEATH and mixed in the splash kelly green ink masks the color touch slightly. This is because at one time, the color of the ink used to touch it up likely matched the green much more closely than it does now, as it's not printer's ink, soaked and feathered into the porous edges of the paper like a sponge and now looks bluish-gray rather than green. But the touch up is done all around the card where there's a green edge. It's not just the bottom edge at the corners.

This touch up is decades old. The degree of fade of the ink used to touch it is the giveaway.

usually rookies mess up on the corners and it bleeds down to the edges, which should be brown cardboard. hard to stop that bleeding. no blacklight even needed there.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Constantine said:

usually rookies mess up on the corners and it bleeds down to the edges, which should be brown cardboard. hard to stop that bleeding. no blacklight even needed there.

As soon as they choose what appears to be a color-matching felt tip, or other porous marker from their "amateur's restoration tool box", their half-baked attempt is already doomed to failure before the top of the marker even touches their target.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Constantine said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@blurryface said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Constantine said:

As soon as they choose what appears to be a color-matching felt tip, or other porous marker from their "amateur's restoration tool box", their half-baked attempt is already doomed to failure before the top of the marker even touches their target.

yes. which is why i referred to them as rookies. maybe it should be crookies, though.