Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Want to start a skateboard card collection... what are the best career contemporary cards LOL!

Hi guys,
I'm looking to pick up some skateboard cards that would have been released when the best skaters were active in the 70's , 80's, and early 90's (not interested in the newer Goodwin type cards). Has anyone ever put a list together of the best cards that were released during those years! Not even sure what cards exist. Does Tony Alva even have a card? Know about the Tony Hawk cards, thinking more about Caballero, Alva, McGill, Gonzales, Peralta, Adams, Hosoi... Thanks!
Jeff

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘77-78 donruss all pro skateboarding is a cool set. peralta rookie.

‘94 collection extreme has a few. tony hawk pack issued rookie.

of course all the sifk cards.

and even garbage pail kids have tons of skating themed cards. they even released gpk skateboard wheels featuring guys like nasty nick, teevee stevie, etc

• Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

Thanks Blurry!

Here's a few cool Skateboard cards and complete sets I've picked up recently:

1987-1989 Cromy Argentina Skateboard Card Game Complete Mint Set With Case. Includes the first cards of Mike McGill, Lance Mountain, Rodney Mullen, Lester Kasai, Gator, Ken Park, Chris Miller, Christian Hosoi & Bod Boyle. The Bod Boyle card is an error, actually shows Hosoi.

1987 Astroboyz Surf Cards Steve Steadham. I'm looking for the Mark Gonzales from this set.

1991 Kayo Skate Prototype Cards Set Of 5. Super tough 5 card set that includes Christian Hosoi, Chris Miller, Jim Murphy, Ray Underhill & Mike Crum

1983 Lyons Maid Tony Alva Sticker. This would be considered his "Rookie" card. I picked up two of these.

A few I'm searching for:
    1987 Astroboyz Mark Gonzales
    1993 Big Brother Magazine Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen & Mike Vallely
    1995 Calendar Cover 1994 411 Video Magazine Mark Gonzales

There is also a 1989 Cromy sticker of Tony Hawk, I've only seen it in albums. That would pre-date his SI For Kids card.

• downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I remember a card in a recent allen ginter set

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Sports illustrated had a Tony hawk card too

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

The 1992 Beach Sports set has Hosoi in it, and perhaps others as well.

• mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s the 94 generation extreme Tony Hawk. I sent a few of these off to PSA. Sold the 9’s and kept this one.

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

those 1994 generation extreme boxes never seemed to boom in price....i bought one for $75 years ago and its still the same $75.

win some lose some i guess.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

Very cool post. I never knew about the Tony hawk sticker. Do you have an image of it? I wonder if Psa will grade them. This might get me back into the hobby lol.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

I believe this is the Cromy Tony Hawk Sticker... same pose as the second photo.

Did some more research. These stickers come from a 1987-1989 Skate Fluo Fluo Sticker album that was released by Cromy Argentina (the same company that made the Cromy Skateboard game cards that are believed to have been released sometime between 1987-1989) I'm pretty sure there are two different Tony Hawk stickers in this album, I circled them in the first attached photo. Also attached is a shot of the sticker album cover. Third and fourth photos are of one of the Cromy Game cards the company also made (It's not Bod Boyle on the card, it's Christian Hosoi in the photo)

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

'77-'79 Sportscaster had a Mike Weed card, that's probably the earliest one.
    Donruss had a set of cards in the late 70s that were pretty ugly fronts, but the backs had cards of David Hackett and others.
    Don't think Jay Adams ever had a card, closest would be the frig magnets handed out at his funeral.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

@Griffins said:
    '77-'79 Sportscaster had a Mike Weed card, that's probably the earliest one.
    Donruss had a set of cards in the late 70s that were pretty ugly fronts, but the backs had cards of David Hackett and others.
    Don't think Jay Adams ever had a card, closest would be the frig magnets handed out at his funeral.

Very cool, do you have an image of the Jay Adams magnet? I just picked up a Jay Adams Memorial Pamphlet, here's pics of the front and back...

I was at the paddle out, there were hundreds of people there, but they had plenty of this kind of stuff. He and I were friends from about age 15-20, seems surreal that he's gone. He was really fun to skate with and I shot a lot of images of him when I was starting out in photography.

Anyway, I don't know of any cards of him or most of the others of that crew, but there have been various issues over the years. Very cool project and I hope you'll update this thread with anything you pickup.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Had some luck over the weekend... Purchased a collection of 132 Cromy Skateboard Stickers from a seller in Argentina. The photo was not the greatest and didn't see all of the stickers I'm getting but I noticed two Tony Hawks and two Rodney Mullens in the photo. Found them on some type of Argentinian version of Kijiji LOL. They usually only sell locally in Argentina so I shot him an email out of the blue and he said he would ship internationally if I paid with Paypal and paid for FedEx Express shipping. Took a real shot in the dark here but no matter what I get those Hawk stickers make the deal worth it.

Also picked up a card that I consider to be the best pack pulled skateboard card from a mainstream set ever made... the 1987 Astroboyz Mark Gonzales RC!

• CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 1:19PM

I believe Jay Adams has 2 cards in 1976 Scanlens. Scanlens is, pretty much, Australian Topps. Maybe the most significant skateboarding cards out there. However, they don't say his name.

Adams is maybe the most revered skateboarder ever.

Neither of those images are Jay. The first one is Steve Cathey, suspect the second one is too.
    Jay was the most amazing skateboarder I ever saw. We grew up together in Santa Monica, and as revered as Tony Alva was I thought Jay was better in a lot of ways. When he took off on a run everyone stopped to watch, because there was a good chance you'd see something you'd never seen before and wouldn't see again. When I started out in photography I'd shoot him all the time, because it was always spectacular and he taught me to always be ready.

edited September 1, 2021 1:29PM

https://www.surfertoday.com/skateboarding/jay-adams-the-freestyle-and-vert-skateboarding-pioneer

This photo is tagged as Jay Adams all over the internet. I do see your point though. Now I see the Steve Cathey tags too.

Do you know who took these pictures?

edited September 1, 2021 1:39PM

It was mistagged by someone as Jay, but it isn't. It was shot by Warren Bolster at La Costa in San Diego about '76. Besides not looking anything like Jay it's not his style. Jay was very aggressive, and his body was much more forward. San Diego skaters were much more laid back, and as you can see Steve's body is behind his feet. And his hand placement is much different than Jays.

See the first picture in the article you linked? Way more style, and very forward. Now compare it to the picture of Steve Cathey, a guy famous for wearing bandannas around his neck and often skating with 2 boards, one on each foot, which was called a daffy, he is leaning back with his hands out. No way could he ever be confused with Jay, other than long blonde hair.

I Found this.

http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/skateboarder/skateboarder-usa-70-vol2-no2.html

It looks like a lot of the photos from this Scanlens set are also in this issue of skateboarder magazine. At least photos from the same shoot.

I do see Bruce Logan has cards in the set. That's cool. Not as cool as Jay Adams would have been though. I do like figuring out who these unnamed dudes are on these cards.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should start a skateboard deck collection - way more fun and interesting. Seeing how much boards from the 80's sell for makes me wish I still had them!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

I have some skateboards. I like cards.

Here's a few I picked up raw and had graded recently. Gonz is super tough, only two graded by SGC and none from any other company! Also picked up some tough 1987 Overall Stickers and 1987 Powell•Peralta Postcards.

Here's a link if you all want to check everything else I've been able to pick up since last summer:
    https://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto/skateboarding?z=3&l=0&c=4&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=81

• An interesting idea. I like skateboard stickers so much. Any stickers involved skateboards makes me excited. Slapping on skateboard stickers is a sure-fire way to customize my board and show off my style. If you find out it, show with us.

• @Scarlem21 said:
    Here's a few I picked up raw and had graded recently. Gonz is super tough, only two graded by SGC and none from any other company! Also picked up some tough 1987 Overall Stickers and 1987 Powell•Peralta Postcards.

Here's a link if you all want to check everything else I've been able to pick up since last summer:
    https://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto/skateboarding?z=3&l=0&c=4&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=81

Nice. Where do you take this sticker? How do you get it?

• Just got a few back from PSA, needless to say I was pretty stoked.

• Purchased this one as well ..

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saved this from the garbage - my 1987 Lance Mountain.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • @cbook4 said:
    Purchased this one as well ..

This reminds me of Willy Dipkin. I just got the comic with Willy fish face b1 promo (p4 diamond is cool but I didn’t want to drop $400) and picked up Bill Ripken F Face in the mail last week.

Thanks for sharing these. I sold a 1960s Hawaiin sidewalk board on ebay for about $550 before taxes and shipping that I picked up off Craigslist for $75 that needed a rinse only.