Home Sports Talk
Options

something suspicious about deGrom

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

something here doesnt pass the sniff test. deGrom is in his year 33 season. what he is doing is unprecedented in the history of the game. how has he improved this much in his 30's?

I cant say with any authority that he is using PED or the sticky stuff, but something is going on.

his current era+ is at almost 5x his career average. his other rate stats are off the board not just for his own career, but for the history of the game.

in his 30's.

something suspicious is going on. this has never happened before.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2021 5:01AM

@craig44 said:
    something here doesnt pass the sniff test. deGrom is in his year 33 season. what he is doing is unprecedented in the history of the game. how has he improved this much in his 30's?

I cant say with any authority that he is using PED or the sticky stuff, but something is going on.

his current era+ is at almost 5x his career average. his other rate stats are off the board not just for his own career, but for the history of the game.

in his 30's.

...or he is having a career year, even for him.

I felt the same suspicion when Luis Gonzalez smacked 57 homers, or when Brady Anderson hit 50 HR's. But it might also have just have been their career year.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2021 5:24AM

Oscar Goldman authorized Rudy Wells six million to turn him into Jacob de Finch.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2021 5:49AM

@ernie11 said:

@craig44 said:

in his 30's.

I felt the same suspicion when Luis Gonzalez smacked 57 homers, or when Brady Anderson hit 50 HR's. But it might also have just have been their career year.

Please tell me you believe Luis Gonzalez was on PEDS

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@craig44 said:

in his 30's.

this isn't just a career year.

its so far the greatest pitching season in history by a magnitude of about 3.

this is worlds bigger than Gonzalez or Anderson. worlds bigger.

something very fishy is going on here. his teammates were soooo adamant that deGrom doesn't use spider tack.

i wonder what he does use?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I did see him having dinner with "Pudge" Rodriguez, I think McGuire picked up the tab..

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll grant you that doing what he's doing at 33 is odd, but "unprecedented in the history of the game" is a bit over the top. In Fernando Valenzuela's first 8 starts in 1981 he threw 8 complete games (and more innings than deGrom has through 11 starts) and allowed a grand total of four runs. Don Drysdale once threw 80 innings (again, more than deGrom so far this year) and allowed two runs. And both Valenzuela and Drysdale - and many others with similar streaks - had to face hitters a third and fourth time before getting pulled from the game.

No, it's never been done by a 30-something to open a season, but it's been done by a 30-something and it's been done to start a season. That in deGrom's case it happens to be both is just trivia; if he keeps it up for a few more starts, then you can take the word "unprecedented" out of storage.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say look at Bartolo Colon - how did he actually pitch into his 40's in the MLB?

And he's still at it..........
    "Bartolo Colon, 48, is still crushing it in Mexico"
    https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/bartolo_colon_48_is_still_crushing_it_in_mexico/s1_127_35155937

Please tell me you believe Luis Gonzalez was on PEDS

I just figured he used Le Creuset cast iron cookware?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an incredible year but he's only in his 8th full season with only 1200 career IP. Hard to believe he didn't reach the majors till age 26. Some guys at his talent level are in their 4th or 5th season by age 26.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

deGroms ERA+ is currently at 719.

I believe the single season record was around 290 by Pedro in 2000

the crazy stretch Unit had with Houston in 98, his ERA+ was 322

I would say what deGrom is doing so far is pretty unprecedented.

He is worlds above his own production. in his age 33 season. he is a career 157 ERA+ pitcher.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    deGroms ERA+ is currently at 719.

I believe the single season record was around 290 by Pedro in 2000

the crazy stretch Unit had with Houston in 98, his ERA+ was 322

I would say what deGrom is doing so far is pretty unprecedented.

He is worlds above his own production. in his age 33 season. he is a career 157 ERA+ pitcher.

I hear he's hanging out with Clemens in the offseason.. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@ernie11 said:

@craig44 said:

in his 30's.

this isn't just a career year.

its so far the greatest pitching season in history by a magnitude of about 3.

this is worlds bigger than Gonzalez or Anderson. worlds bigger.

something very fishy is going on here. his teammates were soooo adamant that deGrom doesn't use spider tack.

i wonder what he does use?

You would have been a rock star in the Salem era

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 8:14AM

Degrom checked by umps after 5 one-hit innings….clean as a whistle.

• Options

i saw that. the umpires checked his hat glove and belt.

wouldn't be more effective to simply check the ball? good grief. the sticky stuff could be anywhere. the catcher could be applying, first baseman, elsewhere on pitcher.

not saying deGrom used last night, but if all umps check are those 3 places, no one will get caught.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they’re going to run into trouble with the Union if they make accusations based on anything but incontrovertible evidence.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manfraud takes another backseat. Having the Umpires union check the players union. If something goes wrong with this inspection by the umpires, he can blame the umpires or players.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

scherzer checked 3 times last night.

Just check the ball. if its sticky, eject the pitcher 10 day vacation.

• Options

That was complete bush league by Girardi.