Home Sports Talk
Options

Miguel Cabrera milestone

ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Miggy is having a tough year so far, but with last night's hits, he became the 22nd player in MLB history to reach 5,000 total bases.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miggy was a beast in his prime

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Miggy! 1st ballot HOF'er

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

All-time great and at 2908 hits and 492 HRs. I think he will pass 500 HRs this year, but not 3k hits.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 9:39AM

Just tied George Brett at # 20 in total bases. 5044. Lou Gehrig next up at 5060.

Mighy had the game winner tonight

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Just tied George Brett at # 20 in total bases. 5044. Lou Gehrig next up at 5060.

Might had the game winner tonight

m

Any time you are closing in on Lou Gehrig on an offensive stat that is special.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

For awhile, Cabrera was just an amazing hitter. Power and average to all fields. He's been pretty terrible the last five years thanks to injury and exceptionally poor conditioning but that doesn't override what he did the 14 years before that. Four batting titles, a Triple Crown, two MVPs, twice leading in OPS+, twice leading in home runs, twice leading in doubles, etc. Truly a terrific career.

• Options

Miggy with homeruns 496 and 497 tonight.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still has 4 more years on his contract that will take him to 42 years old (hope I got that right)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Still has 4 more years on his contract that will take him to 42 years old (hope I got that right)

Two more years. The Tigers are on the hook for 2022 and 2023.

Am

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Steven59 said:

Two more years. The Tigers are on the hook for 2022 and 2023.

Am

Ah yes - 2 more years at 32 Million$ per year. How's the poor guy gonna make ends meet???

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Just hit #499

m

• Options

500!

Congrats Miggy!

m

• Options

Congrats to Miggy!

• Options

He's almost to 3000 hits. He will join Hank Aaron and Willie Mays as the only players to hit 500 HR's, 3000 hits and a .300 career average. Not too shabby

m

• Options

Miggy had a 9 hits in 9 at bats streak end yesterday. Sitting at 2974 hits as I type

m

• Options

Miggy is also close to 600 career doubles. it might be a stretch but if he can get to 650 career doubles and 550 career home runsit would be in a class with just him and Pujols and Pujols will not be a .300 career hitter like Miggy. If Miggy lost 25 pounds this offseason he would have a much better chance of having a productive age 39 and age 40 season in 2022 and 2023. David Ortiz had great stats at that age for the Red Sox a few years ago and Nelson Cruz is having a good year at age 41 for the Twins/Rays. Miggy has been playing great in September for the Tigers but getting in shape and some lineup protection for him like when he had Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez and JD Martinez in the lineup would help.

• Options

The problem is that there's zero chance Cabrera takes his conditioning seriously and loses that weight. He's been out of shape, significantly, for at least 5 years. No way that changes.