Home Sports Talk
Options

Aaron Rodgers - The plot thickens

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Twitter is in an uproar over the t-shirt Aaron Rodgers was wearing when he did a conference call for the celebrity golf tournament he's going to be in with Brady and others. During the video, he was wearing a shirt that said "I'm offended" with an angry emoji. There is speculation that this was a vengeful dig at Mark Murphy because Mark Murphy called Aaron Rodgers "a complicated fella" recently.

Around the NFL

Wearing an 'I'm offended' T-shirt, Aaron Rodgers says 'it's been one of those quiet offseasons you just dream about'

Aaron Rodgers skipped last week's mandatory minicamp, silently staying away as the Green Bay Packers conducted their three-day session.

As the NFL MVP prepared for his golf match with Bryson DeChambeau, Tom Brady and Phil Mickelson on July 6, Rodgers joined a five-way interview to promote the event.

The QB donned an "I'm offended" shirt that may or may not have anything or everything to do with Packers CEO Mark Murphy recently calling Rodgers a "complicated fella."

Asked jokingly by Brian Anderson about his "low profile" and "peaceful" offseason, Rodgers quipped:

"It's been one of those quiet offseasons you just dream about where you can just kind of go through your process on your own quietly and that's all you can ask for as an older player in the league and someone who's been around for a long time and just enjoy that time to yourself, to just relax, to not be bothered, to not have any obligations or anything going on. I think that's what this offseason's been about. It's been about really enjoying my time and spending it where I want to spend it and not feeling like I have to go anywhere and not having any responsibilities but still being an NFL player at the same time. It's been great."

The only "obligation" Rodgers skipped was last week's minicamp. All other offseason workouts have been voluntary.

The next mile marker on this offseason journey comes when the Packers open training camp on July 27. We'll see at that time if Rodgers returns to Green Bay or continues his holdout.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 3:00AM

This thing has gotten bitter, and nasty, and juicy. It's nice and juicy and cooking just right.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s definitely a fun story to follow, I want it to get as ugly as can be.

• Options

I'm reading that the Broncos have a 60-40 chance of acquiring Rodgers, something could definitely be up. I wonder if this is what hydrant's bombshell is, that he's going to the Broncos? 🤔

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saddened because there's no possible, conceivable. hopeful way that the league can survive without Aaron Rogers.

Is it spelled Rogers or Rodgers? I forget.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm saddened because there's no possible, conceivable. hopeful way that the league can survive without Aaron Rogers.

Is it spelled Rogers or Rodgers? I forget.

It's spelled Rodgers, but it should be spelled Rogers!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm reading that the Broncos have a 60-40 chance of acquiring Rodgers, something could definitely be up. I wonder if this is what hydrant's bombshell is, that he's going to the Broncos? 🤔

That was my guess on the bombshell thread. Time will tell...

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 5:07AM

Elway would be absolutely pumped to get Rodgers since he cannot draft a worthy QB. I’d rather see the Packers not trade him and force his hand to either report with his tail between his legs or sit out and sulk while not getting paid.

• Options

Oh how the tables of irony turn.

Aaron Rodgers experiencing same issue Brett Favre had

Aaron Rodgers is clearly unhappy that the Green Bay Packers drafted quarterback Jordan Love last year. The irony of the situation is that there is no player in the NFL who understands what it is like to be in Love’s position more than Rodgers.

Rodgers, of course, was drafted by Green Bay in the first round back in 2005. Brett Favre was still the face of the Packers at the time, and it would be an understatement to characterize the relationship between the two quarterbacks as icy. Andrew Brandt, who was an executive with the Packers at the time, described how Favre felt at the time.

Andrew Brandt
    @AndrewBrandt
    As Brett Favre's camp used to ask me all the time: "Do you know what it's like to come into work every day and sit with your replacement?"
    I'm sure Aaron feels similarly, circle of life.

As Brandt said, Rodgers probably knows exactly how Favre felt now. The Packers are still committed to Rodgers, who is coming off another MVP season. However, it goes without saying that they plan to hand the reigns over to Love at some point. Rodgers wants to be the one to decide when that happens, hence the stalemate.

Favre has expressed regret over the way his tenure in Green Bay came to an end. Rodgers could be headed down the exact same path, as he reportedly wants out and is willing to go to some serious lengths to get his way.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned a long time ago, when you've got a disgruntled employee who wants to leave, don't try to talk them into staying, let 'em leave. Their discontent is like a virus than can affect the other employees. Other reasons as well. Just let 'em go!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I learned a long time ago, when you've got a disgruntled employee who wants to leave, don't try to talk them into staying, let 'em leave. Their discontent is like a virus than can affect the other employees. Other reasons as well. Just let 'em go!

Addition by subtraction

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Tom Brady got one in for me, during the chat about the upcoming tournament, Tom told Bryson DeChambeau that he has a partner (Rodgers) that would would have liked to go for it a little more often. This of course is a jab at last seasons NFC Championship game.

TOM BRADY
    TROLLS AARON RODGERS OVER NFCCG
    ... 'Go For It A Little More Often'

Tom Brady just hit Aaron Rodgers -- jabbing at the Packers star over his sad loss in their NFC Championship Game.

TB12 made the joke while promoting his upcoming golf match against Rodgers ... ribbing Aaron for not being allowed to go for it on that famous 4th down play back in January.

The set-up was great ... Rodgers' partner for the golf match, Bryson DeChambeau, was talking about their strategy for the big event, when Brady interrupted to poke fun at AR.

"I do think you have a partner that would probably have liked to GO FOR IT a little more often than he has in the past," Brady told DeChambeau with a wry smile on his face.

"So, Bryson, I'm glad you're encouraging him to kind of GO FOR IT when it's on the line rather than, you know, just not getting to the fairway or something like that and try to play for the next shot."

You'll recall, during Brady's battle with Rodgers in the big game ... Aaron was down at the Buccaneers' 8-yard line, trailing by 8 with just minutes remaining, but rather than going for it, Green Bay opted to kick the field goal.

Of course, Rodgers never got the ball back, and Brady went on to win the game and then his SEVENTH Super Bowl ring.

• Options

^^^^

• Options

Yes, I've decided I'm rooting for team Brady/Mickelson. Go team!

• Options

Of course, we all know there's only one way to really settle this.

• Options

I hate that little hump dance he did in the NFC Championship game, quite corny. He put his hands on his helmet and did a little hump. A little hump!

• Options

• Options

Aaron Rodgers celebrates the touchdown with a little hump and pump.

• Options

That's right, get on your trolley and go to Denver!

• Options

That's right, he's playing mind games with us!

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 1:56PM

• Options

Meanwhile in Green Bay.....

• Options

We have this exclusive photo of what Aaron Rodgers will look like in his uniform if he joins the Broncos.

• Options

I can just see Rodgers riding into denver on his high horse. Ha, there goes that phantom rabble rouser!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

💥BOMBSHELL💥

• Options

Somebody is trying to steal my reliable sources' thunder⚡! News at 10. Meanwhile......

• Options

@doubledragon 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 4:25PM

........don't be surprised if The Chico Kid and and his amigo Frisco form a gang and ride into Gold Country.....Quien Sabe?

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 4:18PM

The backstory?...... A certain coach for a team who plays in Los Angeles is so obsessed with the idea that an X- L.A. quarterback has a better looking girlfriend than his caused him to jump the gun. PELEA LOS GATOS! Oh, well. The Chico Kid's moll? Hey, I think El Jefe and Senorita Jefe could have lived with her. Too late now.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Fun story!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    The backstory?...... A certain coach for a team who plays in Los Angeles is so obsessed with the idea that an X- L.A. quarterback has a better looking girlfriend than his caused him to jump the gun. PELEA LOS GATOS! Oh, well. The Chico Kid's moll? Hey, I think El Jefe and Senorita Jefe could have lived with her. Too late now.

So you're saying, the bombshell story is that Aaron Rodgers is going to the Broncos?

• Options

Hey,......you guys are funny! I need it right now. Thanks friends. I mean it.

• Options

And that mustache, I'd like to rip it off. Come here, give me that mustache!

• Options

• Options

Fox Sports Jay Glazer appeared on the Pat McAfee show, and said Aaron Rodgers definetly still wants out of Green Bay.

Jay Glazer: Aaron Rodgers “Still Wants Out”

Jay Glazer claims that quarterback Aaron Rodgers still wishes to play for another team, while the Green Bay Packers “immediately shut down” trade offers.

Fox insider Jay Glazer broke news in late April that Aaron Rodgers’ frustration with the Green Bay Packers organization was not a contractual issue, but an issue revolving around the drafting of 2020 first-round pick Jordan Love and the allegation that the team did not notify him of the selection, despite the team claiming that they did so to the public. On Wednesday’s taping of the Pat McAfee Show, Glazer updated the public on Rodgers’ situation, stating, “I know he still wants out. Without a doubt. Absolutely. Still wants out.”

This is in direct conflict with former teammate James Jones’ comments on the situation, where Jones claimed, “I truly believe he will be there for training camp,” just a week ago.

“They didn’t suddenly come out and insult him and go ‘Okay, now it’s fixed,’” Glazer added. This is likely a reference to Packers president Mark Murphy calling Rodgers “a complicated fella” a day after Jones indicated that Rodgers would show his face at mandatory training camp. Whether or not being called a “complicated fella” is an insult is in the eye of the beholder, but little that the Packers have said publically can be considered an “insult”, if not that, since Rodgers’ conflict with the organization became public on draft day.

We don’t have to pretend here. If Glazer is telling us that Rodgers still isn’t happy in Green Bay, it’s because Rodgers wants Glazer to tell us that Rodgers still isn’t happy in Green Bay. This news (if that’s the right term for an update that the situation hasn’t changed) coming a day after the reigning MVP wore an “I’m Offended” shirt at a golf press conference probably isn’t a coincidence.

Glazer also noted Green Bay’s current mindset of the situation, insisting “Every time somebody called the Packers, [a trade offer] was immediately shut down.” The news? No news. Everyone is holding firm. Green Bay’s mandatory training camp will start in late July, with Rodgers’ appearance on golf’s “The Match” on TNT slated for July 6th. We’ll keep you updated through then, as the situation hopefully changes.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rodgers will join the spring league so he can tape his Jeopardy gig in the fall.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

There's a new development in the Aaron Rodgers saga, he has renewed his membership to the Green Bay Country Club!

BREAKING: Aaron Rodgers Will Probably Be Golfing in Green Bay this Year

The Aaron Rodgers-Green Bay Packers saga continues to wind on with no resolution in sight. But we did get one piece of hard evidence that might lead us to overreact and reach an irrational conclusion: Rodgers will definitely be playing golf in Green Bay at some point this year.

Yes, according to The Score Wisconsin, Rodgers renewed his membership at the Green Bay Country Club for the rest of the year.

So he'll definitely be sticking around Brown County, Wisconsin. I mean, maybe. Possibly. OK, so in all likelihood he'll be there at some point.

Green Bay Country Club opened in 1995 and is located in Bellevue, Wisconsin, just 15 minutes from Lambeau Field. It has a swimming pool with a waterslide, six tennis courts, a nine-hole putting course, a six-hole par-three golf course and an 18-hole course designed by Dick Nugent.

That all sounds lovely. How could Rodgers turn down a chance to play there? It sounds like a much better situation than he'd find elsewhere, say, I dunno, Denver.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

what type of country club has yearly renewals?

usually its an initiation fee w monthly dues.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron Rodgers will not be playing for the Packers this fall. He's a stubborn vengeful SOB. He's not a nice man. That's why I like the Cal alum.
    He wouldn't talk to anyone on campus until Sonny Ykes hit the road. When that happened, he wrote a check for $1M to rebuild our locker room. Killed two birds with one stone.
    The 49ers are awfully quiet. Hmmmm...he has the same level of intensity as the 49er GM. Birds of a feather.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    Aaron Rodgers will not be playing for the Packers this fall. He's a stubborn vengeful SOB. He's not a nice man. That's why I like the Cal alum.
    He wouldn't talk to anyone on campus until Sonny Ykes hit the road. When that happened, he wrote a check for $1M to rebuild our locker room. Killed two birds with one stone.
    The 49ers are awfully quiet. Hmmmm...he has the same level of intensity as the 49er GM. Birds of a feather.

Aaron Rodgers IS a strange guy! Most of the time when players hold out they are just trying to get more money, but this guy is nuts.

Would LOVE to see him out of the division or forced to play unhappy for the Packers.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I used to think he was just a Prima Dona a a complete jerk, I’m starting to think that I need to add weirdo to the list. He is totally changing with his Greasy hair and Star Wars shirts he wears all the time, it’s like he was a closet geeky tree hugger or something lol

• Options

@streeter said:

49ers already had the injury bug hit them in spring training. After last year you would think it was an anomaly but looks like a pattern. I would think seriously about dumping the whole conditioning program and start from scratch.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

First off, it's obvious that Rodgers has some personality traits that aren't exactly flattering. But rather than attack him for that, can we just say those traits are his cross to bare? They didn't seem to be a problem in the past. For most people. The stubbornness, focus and tenacity and drive that took him from being a Butte college 2* JC transfer to CAL and excelling at school then being overlooked by the Niners and dropping down the board in the draft are just some of the qualities that make the man. For better or worse.

Rodgers probably can be a handful to deal with. However, his personal life has not embarrassed the team or the city like a lot of NFL stars.

IMHO, the Packers started this mess and don't have a good end game. Rodgers threw the team a wrench by having an MVP season. Would most teams welcome that? The Packers didn't and didn't handle it well. It messed with their 'timetable' of Rodgers fading into the sunset and retiring.

Two things I've observed about Rodgers. He doesn't like to be embarrassed or underestimated. He takes it very personal. He must have a very thin skin. He took the Jordan Love draft pick as an insult. That was a mistake on his part, but you might consider his viewpoint. Why haven't the Pack brought in more offensive support for Rodgers? Why didn't they draft a running pack or WR that could help the offense? Why do you use a #1 when the guy won't contribute for at least one or two years? The Packers screwed up big time. I don't think it was the field goal play call that's P.O.'d Rodgers. Now the Packers front office is nipping at Rodgers and T.H.A.T. is a big mistake. They've made it into a war. Mistake.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ how dare you bring common sense to this thread, streeter! 😉

i agree with just about everything ya said. i certainly agree w you in regards to, and not just rodgers, but any leader. usually they are stubborn, demanding, relentless and countless other negative adjectives. but its funny, they are only deemed negative when those same gleaming qualities were previously celebrated when they benefited the team. once those same characteristics start working against the team, they are now all of a sudden negatives and toxic. 3 sides to a story. his, them and the truth. its all about perspective.

• Options

Aaron is having fun with his new girlfriend. Can’t blame him for wanting to spend time with her. We all remember that new love feeling. When she has to go shoot another movie he’ll wander back to the NFL.

And no, this is not sarcasm. I really believe this. Really!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Aaron is having fun with his new girlfriend. Can’t blame him for wanting to spend time with her. We all remember that new love feeling. When she has to go shoot another movie he’ll wander back to the NFL.

And no, this is not sarcasm. I really believe this. Really!

That absolutely is part of it.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 3:28AM

@streeter said:
    First off, it's obvious that Rodgers has some personality traits that aren't exactly flattering. But rather than attack him for that, can we just say those traits are his cross to bare? They didn't seem to be a problem in the past. For most people. The stubbornness, focus and tenacity and drive that took him from being a Butte college 2* JC transfer to CAL and excelling at school then being overlooked by the Niners and dropping down the board in the draft are just some of the qualities that make the man. For better or worse.

Rodgers probably can be a handful to deal with. However, his personal life has not embarrassed the team or the city like a lot of NFL stars.

IMHO, the Packers started this mess and don't have a good end game. Rodgers threw the team a wrench by having an MVP season. Would most teams welcome that? The Packers didn't and didn't handle it well. It messed with their 'timetable' of Rodgers fading into the sunset and retiring.

Two things I've observed about Rodgers. He doesn't like to be embarrassed or underestimated. He takes it very personal. He must have a very thin skin. He took the Jordan Love draft pick as an insult. That was a mistake on his part, but you might consider his viewpoint. Why haven't the Pack brought in more offensive support for Rodgers? Why didn't they draft a running pack or WR that could help the offense? Why do you use a #1 when the guy won't contribute for at least one or two years? The Packers screwed up big time. I don't think it was the field goal play call that's P.O.'d Rodgers. Now the Packers front office is nipping at Rodgers and T.H.A.T. is a big mistake. They've made it into a war. Mistake.

I can understand the point of view but I disagree, I think the Packers drafted Love because they probably knew they wouldn’t have a chance at a first round QB again for awhile, they don’t usually have 5 win seasons. Sure they could have drafted a WR but instead they went with Love and ended up in the NFC Championship game, so to say that draft pick hurt them and Rodgers is non sensical. As far as Rodgers sitting out, the Packers are getting bombed with questions about this and as an organization they need to respond and tell their side, the jabs at Rodgers are not necessary but they are getting the point across that they are not happy, can you blame them? You would be too if you had an employee who wants you to fire a guy who is in the administration. He has always been a guy who thinks he is never to blame for Packers losses, his stats are great but his decisions in games are not always all that great. He will always take the safest play or stick to forcing the ball to his favorite WR. If they need 20 yards he will throw it to Adams for 15 yards before throwing it to another player 25 yards downfield.

• Options

Yes, a very selfish man, he's gotten too big for his Wranglers!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't attacking Rodgers. Just saying what I have seen.

He's one of the best QB's I've ever seen, but he seems to have some pretty sever personality issues.

He's under contract, so IMO he should honor that.

Ted Williams had his problems with booing fans and sportswriters who criticized him.

Ted once said he knew he shouldn't let that stuff bother him, but he just couldn't help it, he got extremely angy and did some pretty rude stuff.

Now that I think of it, I think Ted actually held out one year while going through a divorce, threatening to retire so he wouldn't have to pay as much alimony.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1. Aaron Rodgers gone
    2. Jordan Love in charge with current players

Pick your over/ under...
    4/5 wins? 3?

Chances of Love making it through a 16 game season? Physically or psychologically.... 1%.

Have a nice day