Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with identifying

I have this old Roman? coin that I have had for ages. Any help identifying and ideas on value. I have looked online and found similar coins but can't seem to locate this exact coin.

It came in this envelope.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

It's an antoninianus minted for the emperor Philip the arab with the reverse ROMA AETERNAE (Roma seated holding Victory and spear)
    Interesting coin !

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin ... well centered with no problems to speak of. Typical of the era. I wouldn't worry too much about finding the exact coin because, unless the reverse is something special, which this one is not, all will be about the same price. (I am not up to date on current pricing.)

Those coins are referred to today as being an "antoninianus" but I don't think that term was ever used in Roman times. It is also sometimes called a "double denarius" but even that is questioned.

All glory is fleeting.
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth I had noticed that many i looked at online aren't centered very well. Do you think being well centered would bring a premium.? Sounds logical to me.

Congrats on being a co winner in the 1630Boston giveaway.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

the envelope is great, only seen a few of those over the years

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to attribute it, the following link will help

http://www.wildwinds.com
    Then search by emperor for Philip I.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Those coins are referred to today as being an "antoninianus" but I don't think that term was ever used in Roman times. It is also sometimes called a "double denarius" but even that is questioned.

The name "antoninianus" is a modern invention, based on the name of the emperor who made the first ones (emperor Caracalla, also known as "Antoninus Pius II") in 215 AD. There are a couple of mentions in the (rather unreliable) history book Historia Augusta that a coin named the "Antoninus" was in use, though it's entirely uncertain which coins the book is referring to.

That it was assigned a face value of 2 denarii is beyond doubt; while no official records of the name or face value of the coinage exist, there is strong circumstantial evidence: the radiate crown, which was long used on the dupondius (2 as) denomination, to distinguish it from the similar-sized 1 as coin. The radiate crown thus meant "this coin is a double-denomination".

Further evidence of the "radiate crown equals a double" symbolism lies in the very rare double-sestertius coins issued by breakaway emperor Postumus which also feature a radiate crown, and finally, there are the even rarer "double-antoninianus" coins of Carus and his contemporaries; these coins show the emperor wearing a stacked double-radiate crown, indicating a double-doubling has occurred. That these coins are worth two antoninianii is corroborated by the fineness / denomination in the exergue, which reads "X et I" rather than "XXI".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

It came in this envelope.

Interesting, found this info from that dealer:
    https://www.stacksbowers.com/News/Pages/Blogs.aspx?ArticleID=with-good-luck

• Please help,
    Which coin is this

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Hindu temple token.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD