Home Q & A Forum
Options

Need help

I found a 1970 Washington with 1941 on reverse ..also looks toned how rare is this find? Sorry I'm new

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is extremely unlikely you have what you describe. What you almost certainly have is a damaged or corroded quarter. Easiest way to tell is to look at the edge. 1941 quarters were 90% silver. If you see a copper colored core, it was struck on a clad planchet which weren't introduced until 1965.

You could always post clear, cropped pics if you want, but don't get your expectations up

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

The one that was stamped over 1941 Canadian coin?...how do I post pics?

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2021 1:29AM

I am sure someone can help with pictures, but as old hoopster stated, don't get your hopes up. there was one proof 1970 S quarter struck over a 1941 Canadian quarter. This had to have been done intentionally by a mint employee and appears to have been a one off, not any kind of repeatable "error". As Old Hoopster stated, check the edge of your coin for the copper core,

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Until pictures of some sort are posted, most likely can't give you much help (I'm not much help on guiding you to how to post pictures either... I have enough trouble myself!)

Does the reverse have the eagle design at all? Is the 1941 look like it has been 'punched in with a letter punch'? Is the date 1941 raised above the background... or, is it down into the background?

----- kj