Home Stamps Forum
Options

Do you think this is a Sup/Gem 98?

CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2021 6:47PM in Stamps Forum

Just asking? It has taken me years to find a #650 with a Green ICAC cancel that is well centered. The stamp is sound. I have also posted a PSE 95 for example (Zeppelin Cancel). Take care...

ungraded

PSE XF/Sup 95

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is certainly a very nice looking stamp but I have no idea what constitutes a "Sup/Gem 98". Do current stamp collectors really care about third party grading? I ask this because I sometimes attend stamps shows and have yet to see even one slabbed and graded stamp in either dealer stocks or in stamp displays.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe rare stamps are "expertized" and come with written documentation. I don't think slabbing has come to the stamp world yet. ;)

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

To answer 291fifth's question stamp collectors do care about grading. I can't help with your inquiry about this being a 98, but what a gorgeous stamp! I love the color of the cancel, as well as the conference title and date neatly falling below the same on the stamp. Well worth the long search!

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I believe rare stamps are "expertized" and come with written documentation. I don't think slabbing has come to the stamp world yet. ;)

PSE has graded more than a handful. I have some of the 10 stamp National Parks set graded, but I don't know about PSE being in or out of business.

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Well I looked PSE on a search. Looks like they are in business yet (but not sure if it's under the Collector's Universe umbrella) Love to hear any comments (good, bad or indifferent.) Looks like there is current grading fees listed and 2021 copyright dates. Maybe a bad thing, but I did notice my National Parks and Duck stamps registry sets or nowhere to be found and I put them in 6 or 7 years ago.

• Options

Nice cancel to score! Grade on the 95 is a bit better than yours though: 90-95.

• Options

Here is a 98.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2021 2:41PM

@Contempcancel said:
    Nice cancel to score! Grade on the 95 is a bit better than yours though: 90-95.

Yes...I think you are correct. Thanks for the input.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like it. Nice centering, strong color, good perforations. Interesting cancel. I only question why the need for a certificate on a "recent" used commemorative.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    I really like it. Nice centering, strong color, good perforations. Interesting cancel. I only question why the need for a certificate on a "recent" used commemorative.

It may be "recent" depending on how you look at it , but it is paper and it is 93 years old. Very well centered stamps that are ALSO sound can be condition rarities. There have been only 12 total used #650's graded 98 or higher by PSE in the last 20 years.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Contempcancel said:

It may be "recent" depending on how you look at it , but it is paper and it is 93 years old.

I guess I'm showing my age. 1928 didn't seem that long ago when I started collecting..