Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972P-1DO-001 Lincoln cent. Nice spread on Obverse!!!!

User1User1 Posts: 160
edited June 13, 2021 10:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Another sweet find..
No joke 3 rd penny I grabed from my stock pile..

Comments

• Options

And to be honest, I kinda flaked on my homework with this one.. but it is pretty straight forward..
    Guess I'll do all that later..🤷‍♂️

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too blurry to be sure but it looks like just a touch of machine doubling from here, not the 001.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 10:55PM

Ok,
    So I'm tired of waiting..
    I was seeking help to better understand the scope, which one to buy, best lighting, and help going Thru a few coins I found that I can't find online..just to verify them..
    Gonna update with a few more pics..
    You will see one the screams MD and then another which will be the 72..
    Pics are with my phone so don't expect exactly to match.. before I only had a junkie scope which you can only imagine the amount of frustration between other forums and myself..
    Being new I had no idea what was wrong..
    I could see the doubling but couldn't deliver. They kept saying MD.. both parties got pretty pissed after a bunch of post.. lol
    I even pissed off Mr.Wexler and copper coin dude over a 1971p I found.. I was trying to show them I wasn't full of crap.. that all this time it was my scope and inexperience in taking pics. So in a fb a post.. he got tagged and things got heated.. " not them but others"
    I tried to share but before could.. kicked🤦‍♂️😢🤛
    Same day same penny..forum.... kicked..
    Fml

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right, it is pretty straight forward... The coin you posted is not DDO1. The doubling would be CLEARLY visible in your picture.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

• Options

Crap.. upside down..

• Options

I didn't know how to angle into the doubling and capture the right pic..
    Above is the cell with a lens..
    Now if I can get a GOOD scope, the pic above would look more like theirs..

• Options

And yes..
    Correct lighting with good scope will make a huge difference

• Options

Sorry.. I meant turn not angle.. MD lives on the sides of the devices

• Options

• Options

So,
    Will someone help a guy out??
    End everyone's furtrations and maybe me being kicked all the time?😂

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@User1 said:
    So,
    Will someone help a guy out??
    End everyone's furtrations and maybe me being kicked all the time?😂

Look at the coin you posted. Look at the actual DDO you posted. They aren’t remotely the same. The 1972 is second only to the 1955 for extreme doubling. If you have to ask, it isn’t.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

The one above is eds..
    This might be MDS..
    But no examples available..
    Plus 1 was taking with high end high power scope vs my Galaxy

• Options

And here we go agian..
    Smh

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 11:32PM

Do yall not read all my comments before you make s comment or something?
    This entire post is about how I need help learning how to scope and what scope to buy etc etc etc..
    Giving you a example and letting you know it's not a professional pic.. but you still compare and you still act like this??
    Like seriously man.. if your not here to help then go away.. the person that is willing to then pm pls..
    That would be amazing to have a good person shoot me a pm and let me have some of there time..

• Options

😐 so if I post pictures of the splitting and doubling with my scope instead of phone,
    on a scale of 1 to 10 how pissed would you be?

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 1:02AM

Further more out of respect..
    how do you gather that my pictures are good enough with you not having the coin in hand and not actually seeing it in person?
    Looks like assuming to me sir..

Look..
    I really don't trust many ppl opinions..
    Especially when they troll me..
    Mostly because I would make multiple post on different sites..
    Rude trolling ppl had nothing good to say..
    Same post different place.. Nice find!!
    See, 1 thing I have learned I'm this hobby.. ppl opinions are just that.. opinions..

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 1:06AM

Also,
    My request is clear..
    I want my photos to match as close as possible to the pros..
    As in the more high definition and the better lighting
    Which means I need some advice bc I don't wanna buy scope after scope after scope trying to find it

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 1:36AM

I agree with @JBK - your photos are good enough to show that your 1972 is not the 1DO-001 (aka WDDO-001).
    But it is because the target variety has such a huge separation in the doubling that
    great photos are not needed.
    It also helps that your actual coin is high grade.

If you want to photograph some of the less major DDOs, RPDs, RPMs, etc. then the camera / lens
    can make a difference.
    For example, for the 1972 cent, 26 different DDOs are known. Most have much less separation than the WDDO-001,
    so it takes a better camera to get photos which show them.
    http://doubleddie.com/384301.html
    Your current coin might be one of these more minor known 1972 DDOs.

Since you want a great camera / lens, I suggest you take a look at
    http://www.macrocoins.com/home.html
    It's run by a member who posts here.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053999/updated-coin-photography-system
    Then you can see what kind of quality photos can be taken with equipment that is not that expensive.

You can also do quite well with a modern smartphone, lens, and stand for holding the phone/camera steady.
    But you might as well look at a fairly professional set up to compare with.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 1:28AM

OP, maybe some pictures of die markers on the reverse would help prove your case.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@User1 said:
    Do yall not read all my comments before you make s comment or something?
    This entire post is about how I need help learning how to scope and what scope to buy etc etc etc..
    Giving you a example and letting you know it's not a professional pic.. but you still compare and you still act like this??
    Like seriously man.. if your not here to help then go away.. the person that is willing to then pm pls..
    That would be amazing to have a good person shoot me a pm and let me have some of there time..

If, as you claim, you truly want and “need help learning how to scope and what scope to buy etc etc etc.”, start a thread about that. And don’t include any pictures or state that you have errors, which your own pictures seem to disprove. Otherwise, you’ll just be continuing to waste others’ time and your own.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Am I the only one that thinks we're being trolled?

You are not.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not even come close to the 001

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of resources on this forum and elsewhere, including books, have been made explaining how to do proper coin photography. But you’re not really interested in that, are you?

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

With today’s cell phones you don’t need a scope.
    My 5 year old iphone takes very good photos.
    And as others have stated...that is not at all the big DDO.
    All of your pictures are clear enough to show. Even the really bad blurry ones it’s obvious to see that is not the DDO.
    Keep searching.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

If, as you claim, you truly want and “need help"

I think that's an apparent assumption for the majority here.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

no.

there are more than one and if they ended up with a red colored avatars sooner rather than later, not much sleep would be lost.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

No.

• Options

@User1 said:
    Further more out of respect..
    how do you gather that my pictures are good enough with you not having the coin in hand and not actually seeing it in person?
    Looks like assuming to me sir..

Look..
    I really don't trust many ppl opinions..
    Especially when they troll me..
    Mostly because I would make multiple post on different sites..
    Rude trolling ppl had nothing good to say..
    Same post different place.. Nice find!!
    See, 1 thing I have learned I'm this hobby.. ppl opinions are just that.. opinions..

Let's put it this way. Your pictures are just fine for seeing (or not seeing) incredibly obvious die markers and characteristics. If you posted a photo of a wrecked 30-year-old Civic and then tried to convince everyone that you have a new Ferrari but the only problem is that you used your cell phone and not a top-of-the-line DSLR to take the photos, you'd get the same response.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2021 8:16AM

Ok,
    When this finally clicked with me, was when I got super pissed over Double Dies 2020..I could see the doubling but I kept messing it up.. and then guy responded on my post and had illustrations that turned Doubling into MD and then back again..all the same coin..
    No you can not turn MD into Doubling and yes some coins you can turn doubling into MD/make it look like..
    And then it hit me.. ohhhhh, it's light, quality of scope and the direction of the doubling that these guys are successful showIng there doubled die coins..
    So what I'm gonna do next is take the time a scope as much as I can of the coin, Doubling, markers and identifers..
    I'm gonna show you that you can infact turn doubling into MD.. and again not MD into doubling..
    Amd yeah it's gonna be my toys r us scope until I learn which one to get..
    If yall just grab some popcorn and soda, tske a deep breath and seat back.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I think you're an alt, here's a DDO-002 (certified as such by ANACS) to help any newcomers that might be confused by this and other posts you've made here. It isn't as strong as die 1, but you can clearly see the doubling without having to guess or verify through microscopic die markers. For all but a few of the known major 1972 DDO's, there's no question as whether it's a DDO or not (easily seen with a loupe) and you identify which one by the direction of the doubling and what's doubled.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

And maybe you guys already have good scopes and don't battle this..
    But for new ppl it is extremely irritating amd confusing..
    Bc the only advice we hear it.. MD... MD...MD...
    Even tho we try to say: hey man, i see it but something is wrong..
    Then yall say.. MD and if you don't want a experts advice you can leave..
    Me: Ummmm ok that didn't help at all...

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 8:52AM

@User1 said:
    Ok,
    When this finally clicked with me, was when I got super pissed over Double Dies 2020..I could see the doubling but I kept messing it up.. and then guy responded on my post and had illustrations that turned Doubling into MD and then back again..all the same coin..
    No you can not turn MD into Doubling and yes some coins you can turn doubling into MD/make it look like..
    And then it hit me.. ohhhhh, it's light, quality of scope and the direction of the doubling that these guys are successful showIng there doubled die coins..
    So what I'm gonna do next is take the time a scope as much as I can of the coin, Doubling, markers and identifers..
    I'm gonna show you that you can infact turn doubling into MD.. and again not MD into doubling..
    Amd yeah it's gonna be my toys r us scope until I learn which one to get..
    If yall just grab some popcorn and soda, tske a deep breath and seat back.

I've only taken a few hundred thousand photos of coins, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to lighting, but there is absolutely no lighting angle that will ever make minor-at-best doubling (whether machine or a legit doubled die) look like a major doubled die, nor will any angle make major doubling look minor-at-best. NONE AT ALL.

Here, I made a handy graphic:

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ton of information on the many different 1972 Lincoln DDO's. But you shouldn't confuse yours with the FS-101 Lincoln.
    A comparison of yours and the true FS-101.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.