Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1000% newbie question re: 1987 Half Dollar

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Total newbie question here so my apologies in advance. Ive seen youtube videos of people talking about the 1987 Half Dollar in high grades selling for high dollars (1K-4K). With that said, there are tons of mint sets and proof sets for sale on ebay for under $10 each shipped. Why are people not grading the half dollars for the high grades and high dollar return?

Thanks for input!

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of modern half dollars are worth quite a bit in MS67 or MS68...not an easy thing to find! These are practically untouched. https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/kennedy-half-dollar/125/most-active

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

even today's mint sets have coins that are not mark free. that is why.

I see pcgs has graded 1 (one) 1987 P Kennedy Half Dollar as MS68 with none better. That one seems to auction in the thousands. the rest below it not.

look up info on specific coins on CoinFacts. you will see.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must look at the grade. The $4k price tag you are mentioning is for an MS68 of which only 1 has been graded by PCGS, the price for the 1987 Philadelphia in MS66 is $40. The price for the 1987 D can be $2-$3k in MS68 of which PCGS has only graded 6. The 1987 D in MS66 is $35 or thereabouts. The expense to have one graded is at least $50 so imagine now why very few are jumping to send in the 87 halves to be graded. Can't look at the highest price in a price guide and think that all coins are of that value. You must learn to grade and grading upper end MS coins is a true learning experience. Take a look at the MS68's on CoinFacts and realize the quality you are speaking of.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, the high prices are the the highest grade business strike examples. Proof versions don't count as far more will grade very high.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little dings and contact marks?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are you not buying all those sets and reaping the big profits?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Thanks for the replies...well, most of you.

• Options

@coinbuf said:

Like I said, it was a newbie question. Thanks for being kind to a newbie. You must be a ton of fun to be around.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be careful of what you watch/believe on youtube - there is alot of crapola on there. Just do research or ask questions. Hopefully you will get steered in the right direction.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeeno7 said:

@coinbuf said:

Like I said, it was a newbie question. Thanks for being kind to a newbie. You must be a ton of fun to be around.

I wouldn't take it so personally. The point was, if it was that easy then people would already be doing it. But I guess you already suspected that which is why you asked....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file