Home Sports Talk
Options

Boxing is officially a circus

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night in Atlantic City, ex-NBA star Lamar Odom and popstar singer Aaron Carter boxed eachother, it was a total circus of a fight. Lamar Odom dominated Aaron Carter and Carter couldn't take anymore and quit in the second round.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f3CTobyolmE

Comments

• Options

Here's the story of this legendary bout.

On Friday night, two-time NBA champion Lamar Odom defeated former child pop star Aaron Carter by TKO in a Celebrity Boxing match held in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The fight ended with about as much boxing prowess and technical skills as you might have expected:

He might have beaten Shaq, but he couldn't take down Lamar.

The stoppage occurred in the second of the fight's three, 90-second rounds, as Carter failed to put up much defense against Odom's flurry of punches. It should be noted that Odom was listed as 6'10", 220 pounds during his playing days. It's unclear what Carter's height and weight are, but it's safe to say he's considerably smaller.

The fight was reportedly held in front of a sold-out crowd at the Showboat Hotel, with the livestream running $29.99 for those wanting to watch at home. Both Odom and Carter have faced their own personal demons over the years, and having the pair duke it out for a paying crowd didn't exactly register as a heartwarming moment.

That the fight happened at all isn't a total surprise given the recent swell in popularity of sideshow-type fights between celebrities and athletes. YouTube stars Logan and Jake Paul have each cashed in on such boxing matches, with more on the horizon.

There's clearly demand for such attention grabs out there. Let's hope the Jake Paul-Tyron Woodley bout gives us a little something more than what the crowd at Atlantic City saw.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

To box someone who is almost a foot taller, out reaching you by almost another foot and 65 pounds heavier is called being set up for failure.

• Options

A total mismatch, I didn't even realize this fight took place until I checked the news this morning. It was $29.99 if you wanted to stream it and apparently it was a sold out crowd. These type of boxing matches are becoming more and more popular, people seem to be addicted to them!

• Options

This also happened at last night's fight. Former boxer Paulie Malignaggi was doing ringside commentary for the Odom vs Carter fight. Well, Malignaggi has an ongoing feud with TikTok social media star Corey B. So while Malignaggi was doing commentary, Corey B walks up behind Malignaggi with a hand full of baby powder and slaps Malignaggi in the back of the head, check it out.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kardashian would have been a better fight for Odom.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carter must have thought he was going to a fright.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of these guys have a history of substance abuse, mental illness, and significant life issues. Watching this, I didn't feel good. I guess when the money and whatever else is exhausted you do things like this.

• Options

Was Carter fighting or were there a lot of flies in the ring that he was trying to shoo away?

• Options

The whole thing was a circus, Chuck "iceman" Liddell was the referee for the Odom vs Carter fight. Ex-boxer Tim Witherspoon also fought last night and he's 63 years old! Here's a poster for the event.

• Options

@doubledragon So Double D, I assume your not feverishly chomping on fruit flavored nicotine gum while scouring EBay looking for Lamar Odom cards this morning?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon So Double D, I assume your not feverishly chomping on fruit flavored nicotine gum while scouring EBay looking for Lamar Odom cards this morning?

Actually I am chewing fruit nicotine right now, and I have been scouring Ebay all morning, but not for Lamar Odom cards. I prefer real boxers, this circus stuff is too much of a sideshow thing for me, it's nothing more than a sideshow, a bearded lady!

• Options

Who pays to see this chit? I mean how bored do ya have to be?

• Options

@stevek said:

A bearded lady!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

A bearded lady!

Don't ever call Fitz that - he would punch you.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

A bearded lady!

I wouldn't dream of calling Fitz that, I would never fight my bearded hero. Now Aaron Rodgers, that's a different story. I'll take a piece of him anytime, any place!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been for a long time. Maybe forever. I really don't think most of Cassius Clay's (or whatever he was called) fights were on the level. Bring In The Clowns.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    It has been for a long time. Maybe forever. I really don't think most of Cassius Clay's (or whatever he was called) fights were on the level. Bring In The Clowns.

You may very well be right about the Liston fight.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

A bearded lady!

I wouldn't dream of calling Fitz that, I would never fight my bearded hero. Now Aaron Rodgers, that's a different story. I'll take a piece of him anytime, any place!

Again he appears!!!!

• Options

Did someone mention Bearded lady 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

A bearded lady!

Again he appears!!!!

He always has to be the center of attention!