Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cheapest place to buy ancient and 19th-century coins in lots?

Hello,

I have 4 newbie questions:

1) What are the least expensive 19th-century U.S. and UK coins?

2) What are the least expensive ancient coins, from anywhere in the world?

3) What are the least expensive coins issued during the Roman Empire?

4) Is there a cheaper and easier place than eBay “Buy It Now” to buy multiple lots (25 or more) of all of the above, without bidding? Specifically, for now, I’m thinking of:
1912 Liberty “V” nickels
1865 two-cent pieces
Any other 19th-century US or UK coin
Ancient coins (specifically from Ancient Rome)

Many thanks for any help!

Robin

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have lots of 24 ancient uncleaned and unresearched Roman coins on eBay right now for $29 for 24 coins. Of course they are low grade coins. I always throw in a few extra. These AE4 size (small copper). You have to clean and attribute them yourself. I think that the uncleaned Roman coins are the least expensive ancients.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Cheapest 19th century UK coins are probably halfpennies and pennies. Cheapest US coins would probably be Indian Head cents.
    2. Cheapest ancient coins (where "ancient" is defined as pre-500 AD) are probably Late Roman Bronzes of Constantine and his successors; coins of Anglo-Gallic emperors Tetricus I and II and of mainland emperor Gallienus are also lumped into the same category. Unidentified coins are usually much cheaper than identified coins and can be bought for a dollar or two each. But it takes skill and time to clean and identify an uncleaned ancient coin, and there's always a chance the coin is too far gone and can never be identified properly, no matter the skill.
    3. See above. Romans are typically cheaper than any other ancient coin series.
    4. I'd tend to stay away from eBay for ancients, generally - too many Eastern European fakes, and your typical "bulk uncleaned" lot is likely to be mostly slugs that a dozen people have already looked at and rejected. There are good'uns on eBay, but those sellers usually also have an off-eBay presence.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 4:22AM

I will trade you 2 V-Nickels for the price of 1 Indian Cent in G! o:)

@Sapyx said:
    1. Cheapest 19th century UK coins are probably halfpennies and pennies. Cheapest US coins would probably be Indian Head cents.
    2. Cheapest ancient coins (where "ancient" is defined as pre-500 AD) are probably Late Roman Bronzes of Constantine and his successors; coins of Anglo-Gallic emperors Tetricus I and II and of mainland emperor Gallienus are also lumped into the same category. Unidentified coins are usually much cheaper than identified coins and can be bought for a dollar or two each. But it takes skill and time to clean and identify an uncleaned ancient coin, and there's always a chance the coin is too far gone and can never be identified properly, no matter the skill.
    3. See above. Romans are typically cheaper than any other ancient coin series.
    4. I'd tend to stay away from eBay for ancients, generally - too many Eastern European fakes, and your typical "bulk uncleaned" lot is likely to be mostly slugs that a dozen people have already looked at and rejected. There are good'uns on eBay, but those sellers usually also have an off-eBay presence.