Home Autographs Forum

Frank Chance signed E95 card???

Found in a small, weather-beaten, wooden picture frame. The scuffs on the surface of the card were adhered to the inside of the frame's glass. The card was stuck/glued on the frame interior's backing material.

The piece was discovered with other framed ephemera datable to the 1900 to 1920 range, the other frames were of the same age and wear. The card is definitely genuine, a vintage E95 issue. Any opinions of the signature itself would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a shame that it was removed in such a way that so much damage occurred. With care and technique that might have been minimized.

• Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Though damage occurred in spots on the front of the card's surface by adhesion to the inside of the glass, it could have been far worse. Some of the frames that had actual contact with moisture had a significant amount of foxing and mildew, some of which seeped into the frame and adversely affected the framed subjects within.

I think on the back, that layer of salmon-colored paper (the backing) might be removable; the back of the card under it, the text, may be fully or partially intact depending upon what was used to stick it to the backing.

The signature (Chance or some other, still to be determined) on the front managed to mostly escape being scuffed off except for the 'ce' in the margin surrounding the portraiture.

Noteworthy is that I was able to an auction account of one T-206 signed Chance tobacco card, the seller speculating about it being the only known Chance signed T206 card. If authentic, this may be the only other Chance signed 1909-1911 card, one of 2 known, and the only signed E (Candy) card.

• Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

The fact that it has the middle initial in there is a good sign. I would send it in to PSA and see what happens. Looks pretty promising when compared to this one on the PSA website:

• Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@Cubbies1416 said:
    The fact that it has the middle initial in there is a good sign. I would send it in to PSA and see what happens. Looks pretty promising when compared to this one on the PSA website:

I never saw that piece! Thank you for posting it. That's the closest I've seen to my Chance as far as vibe, tendencies and matching formations! That's also one of the few I've seen with an L partitioned similarly by the first and last name. Now it may pay to send it!