Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay seller advice needed

This is a first for me. I sent a first class package, with eBay label and tracking number, to a buyer. I received an eBay message today where the buyer states someone else picked up the package at the post office and it wasn't him. The tracking number shows this:

Jun 11, 2021
10:27am
DELIVERED INDIVIDUAL PICKED UP AT USPS
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46227

I spoke to the supervisor at my post office about this situation. She sent an email to the delivered zip code 46227 post master. In her email she provided them with the tracking number and will have them try to locate and possibly recover the package. She is hoping to hear back from them most likely next week. I informed the buyer of this and he wants me to get back to him ASAP so he can get a refund.

What should I do next? If he files a claim against me through eBay, am I covered because it shows delivered even though it was picked up by delivered individual at not delivered to the confirmed address? Or am I screwed of both the item and the funds? Why do I feel like I got scammed somehow? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 3:09PM

How would you be able to pick it up without the "package at post office" card that you have to show and they match it up, scan it, you fill out/sign the back?
    First I've ever heard that a package somehow was picked up by someone else. Did not know that was even possible.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

It's an unfortunate situation, but more for the buyer than the seller. I would sit back and wait, and then you can say something like I am only responsible for shipping it to the address that the buyer gives you. Once USPS says it is delivered and the buyers says it's not, that is between the buyer and USPS, not you. Don't see eBay ruling against you. How expensive was it?"

• Options

@steel75 said:
    How would you be able to pick it up without the "package at post office" card that you have to show and they match it up, scan it, you fill out/sign the back?
    First I've ever heard that a package somehow was picked up by someone else. Did not know that was even possible.

Easy, if the mail was on a vacation hold, or if someone goes early enough to the PO before the mail is sent off (and assuming a small enough location population wise) and ask for that day's mail after showing ID. Most likely a clerk just gave someone the wrong package and when scanned at the PO, it comes up as the OP posted.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@steel75 said:

At my office you don't have to show the peach slip, you just say what you're there for and they get it for you. Unless it's signature required, you don't have to sign the back either. Rufuss is probably right. The mail carrier threw the package in the wrong hold tub and it got passed on. If not a lot of people picked up holds from that route, it should be easy to get back.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

You're covered as the item shows delivered. At this point, the buyer should be inquiring with their local PO to resolve the issue.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the advice. I will wait and see what my post office can determine. I hope it was a honest mistake. I hope I won't be out the product and the money. But if they can't locate it, should I advise the buyer to file a claim with eBay for a refund?

@RufussCkingston said:
    It's an unfortunate situation, but more for the buyer than the seller. I would sit back and wait, and then you can say something like I am only responsible for shipping it to the address that the buyer gives you. Once USPS says it is delivered and the buyers says it's not, that is between the buyer and USPS, not you. Don't see eBay ruling against you. How expensive was it?"

It was a $115 knife.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@professorpuck said:
    You're covered as the item shows delivered. At this point, the buyer should be inquiring with their local PO to resolve the issue.

This. Sounds fishy to me and the fact that the buyer jumps right to the refund angle makes it doubly so imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

have you researched his ebay account via ebay itself? ie feedback for purchases, items sold and actual fb left for others. also if any bid retractions. if so, how many?

i would also google the user id.

then base my decision off overall history. my first inclination is that youve done your job and something doesnt seem right.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 12:03AM

Ignoring the possibility that the buyer is shady and assuming that everything is on the up and up, I would just let it play out from the Buyer's end. Don't harass your PO as it is not your problem (if they give you some info great). Don't instruct the buyer that he/she should contact eBay.... All you need to say is that you shipped it to the address in the order and it now show's delivered. Instruct the buyer if the convo gets to that point, to contact his local PO and report that the package was not delivered to the addressee but the tracking says it was. Whatever you do, don't mention the word refund in any eBay communications as CS will look at it. While it sucks, compassion is not your friend!

I had a eBay Standard envelope show delivered (they don't actually scan it), but the buyer never got it and opened a eBay case. I just entered the tracking (which was already in the order), and when the buyer escalated the case, it was closed in my favor because it showed delivered. It was only like a $7 card, so the buyer was cool, he was as curious as I as to what eBay would decide. It was a catch-22 as I can't claim the insurance on a delivered item (since damage wasn't being declared). Figured if I lost the case I could then file a claim. In the end the buyer told me he got a voucher from CS.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

What scans were before the delivered, picked up at PO scan? Is your delivery street or PO Box? Primarily, a package will have an arrival at unit scan followed by out for delivery (automated) then attempted or delivered. Carrier scanners have GPS so if an attempt (notice left) scan is performed at an incorrect address the PO will know through their USPS intranet. You should be covered through eBay as item shows delivered.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you again for all the helpful advice.

@blurryface said:
    have you researched his ebay account via ebay itself? ie feedback for purchases, items sold and actual fb left for others. also if any bid retractions. if so, how many?

i would also google the user id.

then base my decision off overall history. my first inclination is that youve done your job and something doesnt seem right.

I never thought about doing this. According to his eBay history (he has 384 feedback rating), this is the first feedback left for a seller in 6 months. He has left 1 negative feedback for a seller stating "never shipped, waste of time" but the rest of the feedback left are positives. I don't know how to check for bid retraction history.

@sayheywyo said:
    What scans were before the delivered, picked up at PO scan? Is your delivery street or PO Box? Primarily, a package will have an arrival at unit scan followed by out for delivery (automated) then attempted or delivered. Carrier scanners have GPS so if an attempt (notice left) scan is performed at an incorrect address the PO will know through their USPS intranet. You should be covered through eBay as item shows delivered.

The delivery was to a confirmed eBay address but it was picked up at the post office. Odd thing, the confirmed address if 60 miles away from the post office it was picked up at. The mailing/ shipping address was to a residence in Lafayette IN but it was signed for in Indianapolis.

@RufussCkingston said:
    Ignoring the possibility that the buyer is shady and assuming that everything is on the up and up, I would just let it play out from the Buyer's end. Don't harass your PO as it is not your problem (if they give you some info great). Don't instruct the buyer that he/she should contact eBay.... All you need to say is that you shipped it to the address in the order and it now show's delivered. Instruct the buyer if the convo gets to that point, to contact his local PO and report that the package was not delivered to the addressee but the tracking says it was. Whatever you do, don't mention the word refund in any eBay communications as CS will look at it. While it sucks, compassion is not your friend!

I am hoping this is just a USPS foul up and not a scam. I have a great relationship with my postmaster and will check back with her on Monday. If they cannot determine where the package is or are unable to retrieve it I will follow your advice "Instruct the buyer if the convo gets to that point, to contact his local PO and report that the package was not delivered to the addressee but the tracking says it was."

Here was his original message to me (I edited out his eBay identity, for now):
    Hello, we have some sort of problem. I just got notification that the item I purchased was picked up by individual in Indianapolis. That was not me. Any idea what’s going on?

Here was my reply:
    Hello. I am sorry to hear about this. I just spoke to the supervisor at my post office about this situation. She sent an email to the delivered zip code 46227 post master. In her email she provided them with the tracking number and will have them try to locate and possibly recover the package. She is hoping to hear back from them most likely next week. I will contact you immediately with any information on my end. Please let me know if I can assist you in any other way.

and his reply to my message:
    No problem, just let me know ASAP so I can get a refund. Thank you.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

not much activity
    one feedback he already left said “item never shipped”
    responded back “…so i can get a refund” w/o offering to wait a lil more

all screams scammer to me.

do not refund or even offer. let him open the case. stick to your guns. what most likely will happen is that ebay will refund him outta your account and then reimbuse you because it showed delivered.

once he pulls this crap 3 times, ebay will boot him.