Options

crackout, resub. Just sayin'

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘Throwing darts’ fits here

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

According to Nat Turner they're going to put an end to the crack and re-submit crowd. Guess that means every cards will be accurately graded going forward.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@81 Topps Guy said:
    According to Nat Turner they're going to put an end to the crack and re-submit crowd. Guess that means every cards will be accurately graded going forward.

already in play and have personally experienced it.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

already in play and have personally experienced it.

But what type/value of cards? I've heard of the high end serialized (though you don't need AI for that)

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 12:21AM

‘18 choice kawhi. a 51b mantle for a bud.

it can be any card w/o the use of AI and you dont need any serial numbers actually.

all they have to do is peruse your previous subs.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 6:40AM

Topps UFC Round 1 VD... not the most sought after fighters though (both undervalued)... and you can find raw cards in good shape still but rare to get a 10. The inserts used better stock at least compared to the base or autos which have tons of edge chipping.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    .....all they have to do is peruse your previous subs.

I'm sure they have other methods in place because that one can be very easily sidestepped.

• Options

@blurryface said:

it can be any card w/o the use of AI and you dont need any serial numbers actually.

So are you saying that subbed them twice on your account?

My buddy got a Min size bird/magic, Resent it using a buddy and it graded.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@blurryface said:

no. the kawhi card i subbed myself via economy. by the time i got it back, economy level was gone. so i resubbed thru pcs bc they still had the option. it has a serial number and /8.

however, what i was alluding to is that my friend did sub, crack and resub the 51 mantle under his acct twice and obviously it didnt have a serial number.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@blurryface said:

I got a couple big cards back min size. Was thinking of shipping them off to SGC as nothing is wrong with them. Nothing. Maybe I should just ship them off to PSA again?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will reviews still be a service option? I would think that is a nice revenue generator for PSA and Turner himself has acknowledged that human error is involved with grading so why not have an opportunity to "get it right"?

I'm assuming the purpose of this kind of policy change is to discourage card doctors from working on and resubmitting cards to PSA but to me this kid of sweeping policy change whereby a collector cannot crack and resub is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2021 2:27PM

@grote15 said:
    Will reviews still be a service option? I would think that is a nice revenue generator for PSA and Turner himself has acknowledged that human error is involved with grading so why not have an opportunity to "get it right"?

I'm assuming the purpose of this kind of policy change is to discourage card doctors from working on and resubmitting cards to PSA but to me this kid of sweeping policy change whereby a collector cannot crack and resub is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

yes, review still an option. a biased one in my opinion, but still avail.

i'd rather them have a fresh look at it though. or in the case of my card, you can't swipe a fingerprint or booger off that it received while in-house if still encased.

i understand nats intentions here. i just dont think the numerous scenarios were thought out. similar to why i was disagreeing w/ you guys so hard on the "dont slab anything but 7+s" in the other thread. on paper it makes total sense. in real life collecting scenarios there are several viable reasons that these kinda rules dont. that's all.

eta: btw, my card was even the highest graded example. the only reason i cracked it out was because it had a smudge on it. i wasnt trying to even obtain a higher grade. in fact, w/ it being numbered to 8, it most likely never woulda been another one higher.

• Options

@bobbyw8469 said:

I got a couple big cards back min size. Was thinking of shipping them off to SGC as nothing is wrong with them. Nothing. Maybe I should just ship them off to PSA again?

First, get this ruler for $1.50 and make sure it is less than 1/32nd short. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJHTHKC

Then re-sub under a different account and address and CC. After that, i'd fire it off to SGC since they are cheap and fast. Can always try and cross after.

• Options
    RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I don’t collect cards only coins. What prevents counterfeit cards as these are only made out of cardboard?

• Options

@Rubicon said:
    I don’t collect cards only coins. What prevents counterfeit cards as these are only made out of cardboard?

nothing really different than counterfeiting coins. after all, they are only made outta metal. :D

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

nothing really different than counterfeiting coins. after all, they are only made outta metal. :D

Coins much more difficult to counterfeit as you would need the actual dies to produce new coins. Cards only made of paper so much more easily reproducible by any card company

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

Coins much more difficult to counterfeit as you would need the actual dies to produce new coins. Cards only made of paper so much more easily reproducible by any card company

Don’t mean to knock your hobby, I was afraid to collect cards for this reason

• Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 3:49PM

Check out autograph authentication for an even bigger hoot 🤠
    Coins though, worth the metal melted down.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

partly right. partly wrong though. sure, its easy to reproduce a crappy card. similar to crappy coin reproductions. its nearly impossible to recreate a 51 bowman mantle that could fool legitimate experts just like a ‘23 double eagle.

the similarities dont end there. both are easy to clean and/or alter their original states. simple fact is that any hobby that has significant money involved will have similar nefarious activities and fakes.

• Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

And people commenting on everything.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@Rubicon said:

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

With vintage cards, at least, there were cutting techniques employed at the factory during the year of issue which are extremely difficult to replicate today. Most counterfeits exhibit telltale signs of being fabricated. With coins, it's similar to the die process whereby coins are struck. Very difficult to do but some of the fakes out there are very tough to tell, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2021 5:04PM

And like it is with coins (cleaned, whizzed, artificially toned, retooled, etc), I think it's also much easier to discern outright fakes than to determine when an authentic card has been "enhanced" or worked on.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Rubicon said:

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

With vintage cards, at least, there were cutting techniques employed at the factory during the year of issue which are extremely difficult to replicate today. Most counterfeits exhibit telltale signs of being fabricated. With coins, it's similar to the die process whereby coins are struck. Very difficult to do but some of the fakes out there are very tough to tell, too.

@grote15 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Rubicon said:

@blurryface said:

@Rubicon said:

I see good to learn.! Thanks for the information.