Home Sports Talk
Options

Cam Newton's nickname for Mac Jones

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a scale of 1 to 10, where do you rank Cam Newton's new nickname for Mac Jones, 1 being the worst, 10 being the best. The nickname is, "mac and cheese"

Patriots Wire

Mac Jones shares hilarious nickname given to him by Cam Newton

With the New England Patriots conducting organized team activities over the past couple of weeks, it has given new teammates a chance to get to know each other. The quarterbacks seem to be bonding.

In speaking to the media on Thursday, quarterback Mac Jones indicated that he and Cam Newton have gotten along well. Not only that, Newton has given him a nickname, something the veteran has done with almost all of his teammates.

In Newton and Jones, the Patriots are looking at both the present and future at the quarterback position. That dynamic has not stopped the two signal-callers from forming a friendship.

“It’s been good,” Jones said in a video conference. “He calls me ‘Mac & Cheese,’ so I got my nickname. But he’s done an awesome job being a good mentor, and he brings great energy. And Brian (Hoyer) and Jarrett (Stidham) have done a good job of helping me in the film room. All three of them, I just watch their reps and learn as much as I can. You don’t have to be in on that play to learn, so I just have to figure out how to do that. I’ve been getting a lot better just watching tape and learning how to do that, and they’ve helped me in that regard.”

As New England looks to develop Jones over these next couple of months, it will be interesting to see how much Newton positively affects the rookie’s development.

Comments

• Options

🤔

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give it a 7, it’s fitting with the name

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knows what goes thru the mind of Cam Newton?

Frankly, the nickname seems a little bit derogatory to me. As if Cam is looking in the rear view mirror for Mac to take his job, which happens to be the case.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 8:20AM

I believe it's only a matter of time before Mac does indeed take his job, but I must admit, the nickname is a bit catchy. I've been saying it all morning, it's stuck in my head. Mac and cheese.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 8:41AM

Here is the latest update on Mac and cheese's progress.

New nickname in hand, Pats rookie Jones finding his footing.

He also is slowly getting more comfortable existing in the whirlwind that has been his first month as an NFL rookie quarterback.

“Yeah, it’s been good,” the Patriots’ first-round selection said Thursday when asked to describe how his relationship is developing with incumbent starter Cam Newton. “He calls me Mac ‘n Cheese so I’ve got my nickname.”

Newton, who appointed himself as the team’s nickname guru last season, was not on the field Thursday for the third straight voluntary workout after injuring his throwing hand last week.

Coach Bill Belichick said he expects Newton to be fine, but his absence did provide an opportunity for more reps for the team’s other three quarterbacks, Jones, Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer.

The Patriots are scheduled to hold a final voluntary workout Friday before opening their three-day mandatory minicamp next week.

Despite not being on the field recently, Jones said Newton has provided a lot of leadership and has been generous with his time in showing the former Alabama star the ropes thus far.

“He’s done an awesome job being a good mentor. He brings great energy,” Stidham said. “Brian and Jarrett have done a good job of helping me in the film room. All three of them – just watch their reps and learn as much as I can. You don’t have to be in on that play to learn. I just have to figure out how to do that. I’ve been getting a lot better at just watching tape and learning how to do that and they’ve helped me in that regard.”

Jones has been a little timid at times when throwing the ball downfield during the limited portions of practice the media has been allowed to view. But he said his comfort level is growing with each workout.

“Really, just an everyday grind, so when you’ve got to come in and get your routine. That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out – what’s my routine?” Jones said. “In college you have one routine, in the NFL you have another. Every day you kind of fiddle with things. Obviously, there’s things that I like that I’ve done and things I need to adjust.”

One of the biggest adjustments has been learning how to watch film in “an NFL manner.”

“It’s different than college. There’s more to it. It’s pro football. I’ll figure it out,” Jones said. “I’m continuing to grow in that aspect. I’m obviously trying as hard as I can. It’s not like I’m leaving early or doing anything like that. We’re all just trying to get better.”

That has included taking stark coaching and criticism at times.

Asked recently about how he’s approaching integrating Jones into the mix, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said he’s always been a fan of brutal honesty.

“With the quarterback room, the best thing about coaching these guys is — and we’ve got four great guys in the room — is you coach all of them hard and you coach them all fairly and you coach them all to what they need,” McDaniels said. “One of them might need a kick in the butt once in a while and one of them might need a pat on the back. What all of them need is good honest communication and constructive criticism.”

Jones said he wants to be pushed hard.

It’s how he was coached by longtime Belichick friend and confidant Nick Saban at Alabama and it’s what he expects at this level.

“I’ve gotten hard coaching my whole life, so I’m super hard on myself. Sometimes it’s hard,” Jones said. “Josh, he expects everything to be perfect. That’s why he’s so great at what he does. Our relationship is great. He does that with all the quarterbacks, so if you miss one detail, it’s not good enough.

“As a rookie, you want to try to get everything right, but you’re not going to. So I just have to accept that and try to be the best I can be.”

• Options

Mac Jones or Mac n Cheese, whichever you chose to call him will be the starter by game 3

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I believe it's only a matter of time before Mac does indeed take his job, but I must admit, the nickname is a bit catchy. I've been saying it all morning, it's stuck in my head. Mac and cheese.

When Cam gets cut by the Patriots, is the moment that nickname will die. LOL

• Options

It always strikes me as funny how players competing for a job, pretend like they enjoy helping each other. While the reality is each one of them hopes the others develop a bad case of jock itch and foot fungus. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:
    It always strikes me as funny how players competing for a job, pretend like they enjoy helping each other. While the reality is each one of them hopes the others develop a bad case of jock itch and foot fungus. LOL

Agreed! 😂😂😂

• Options

I'll never forget that awful night, Super Bowl 50. My cats were in it, until a man fumbled a football and refused to try and recover that fumble. That night, Cam earned a nickname of his own having to do with food.

https://youtu.be/ULzdKV4WrqY

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Mac Jones or Mac n Cheese, whichever you chose to call him will be the starter by game 3

I've read where Jones is having some problems in practice with efficiency in the red zone. But of course all QB's have a challenging time with that, even the best of them.

Always tough to gauge the future of a newly drafted NFL QB. But Jones' attitude is absolutely terrific, and that's certainly a good foundation for success.

• Options

BTW - if Jones has to have a hamburger nickname, "Big Mac" would have been a much better choice.

I imagine it's very likely he's been called that many times before. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I've read where Jones is having some problems in practice with efficiency in the red zone. But of course all QB's have a challenging time with that, even the best of them.

Always tough to gauge the future of a newly drafted NFL QB. But Jones' attitude is absolutely terrific, and that's certainly a good foundation for success.

I’ve heard the same. I also read that Saban tried to hold him back in Alabama when he was a backup because during practice he would shred the starters on D. Obviously that’s nothing compared to anything relating potential NFL ability but it’s a good story if true.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'll never forget that awful night, Super Bowl 50. My cats were in it, until a man fumbled a football and refused to try and recover that fumble. That night, Cam earned a nickname of his own having to do with food.

I know the memories of that night must still sting.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I know the memories of that night must still sting.

I still wake up in a cold sweat. I'll never forgive him, they call him fig Newton for a reason. He crumbles under pressure!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I’ve heard the same. I also read that Saban tried to hold him back in Alabama when he was a backup because during practice he would shred the starters on D. Obviously that’s nothing compared to anything relating potential NFL ability but it’s a good story if true.

I've heard enough NFL rookie QB, phony talk chit in my time. There must be a standard manual that agents give them on what to say because it's usually all the same chit.

Jones' says the usual chit as well, but it's got more of a genuine ring to it.

Frankly, i think you've got a winner there. We shall see.

But we won't nickname him Brady Mac just yet. ;)

• Options

The trauma from Super Bowl 50 still haunts me. My wife doesn't care, the only one who cares is Teddy, he's always there for me when the pain from Super Bowl 50 rears it's ugly head. Teddy understands.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I've heard enough NFL rookie QB, phony talk chit in my time. There must be a standard manual that agents give them on what to say because it's usually all the same chit.

Jones' says the usual chit as well, but it's got more of a genuine ring to it.

Frankly, i think you've got a winner there. We shall see.

But we won't nickname him Brady Mac just yet. ;)

Agreed Again

• Options

Still hard for me to believe that Belichick signed this guy.

I guess desperation makes ya do crazy things?

• Options

Stubborn, stupid, silly man!

• Options

Maybe Cam just doesn't like violence?

Going after that football may have resulted in a violent collision, and that's the last thing that multi-millionaire Cam and Cheese needed.

See what i did there? 🥪

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Sarkisian gave Mac Jones a funny nickname.

During the second quarter of the College Football Playoff National Championship, Jones lost a fumble that led to an Ohio State touchdown. After the fumble, ESPN reported that Jones was expressing anger and frustration with himself on the Alabama sideline. Jones eventually moved on and settled himself, but the episode led ESPN commentator Kirk Herbstreit to share some funny information.

According to Herbstreit, Sarkisian nicknamed Jones “McEnroe” early in Jones’ Alabama career.

“Sark used to call him ‘McEnroe,’ John McEnroe, because he would lose his cool when he was a young freshman and sophomore. That became his nickname,” Herbstreit shared.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Maybe Cam just doesn't like violence?

Going after that football may have resulted in a violent collision, and that's the last thing that multi-millionaire Cam and Cheese needed.

See what i did there? 🥪

Hahahaha that’s hilarious, I didn’t even think of that one! Mac n Cheese and Cam n Cheese! 😂😂😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Steve Sarkisian gave Mac Jones a funny nickname.

During the second quarter of the College Football Playoff National Championship, Jones lost a fumble that led to an Ohio State touchdown. After the fumble, ESPN reported that Jones was expressing anger and frustration with himself on the Alabama sideline. Jones eventually moved on and settled himself, but the episode led ESPN commentator Kirk Herbstreit to share some funny information.

According to Herbstreit, Sarkisian nicknamed Jones “McEnroe” early in Jones’ Alabama career.

“Sark used to call him ‘McEnroe,’ John McEnroe, because he would lose his cool when he was a young freshman and sophomore. That became his nickname,” Herbstreit shared.

I like this one. It wouldn't necessarily translate to certain audiences or age groups. But it's pretty good.