Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan Potential Grade Opinions

Card_CollectorCard_Collector Posts: 8

I was hoping to hear thoughts on a potential grade for this card.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

in 2019
    PSA 8: 45%
    PSA 7: 45%
    Other: 10%

in 2021
    I have no idea

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2021 7:19PM

Not an expert by any means but I say 8.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking card. Any concerns about the left edge, towards the bottom? Seems flat against the rail from the top until part way through the bottom blue band...

Jim

• Options
    edited June 10, 2021 8:16PM

@burghman said:
    Nice looking card. Any concerns about the left edge, towards the bottom? Seems flat against the rail from the top until part way through the bottom blue band...

I am not sure if it's the card, the case, or the angle the card is sitting.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

What makes you guys say 8? I don't see a big enough defect to knock it down 2 grades.

• Options

@bensie said:
    What makes you guys say 8? I don't see a big enough defect to knock it down 2 grades.

Personally, I thought it would be a 9 but I wanted to hear opinions.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

What is it in now with those wonky rails?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@bensie said:

Left edge is rough at best, and there is chipping on the bottom edge. There are some surface dots of concern, though it's difficult to know if those are on the card or just floating dust. Personally I get distracted by the vertical scratch halfway between MJ's ribs and the left margin.

My first instinct was 8, but this is always about a range of outcomes. If it was my card, I would've sent in with those expectations I listed earlier. Very strong chance at 7, 7.5, or 8. Very small chance it falls outside that range imo - on either end.

But in the new world order, perhaps move common sense expectations down 1 to 2 grades? I dunno.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

FYI, I sent in an '86 Jordan that was a surefire 7+ and it came back a 5. Get ready for a surprise...

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:

@bensie said:

Left edge is rough at best, and there is chipping on the bottom edge. There are some surface dots of concern, though it's difficult to know if those are on the card or just floating dust.

I had similar thoughts but I also think my opinion is influenced by recent results for experienced submitters. If you had asked me two months ago based solely on published grading standards I’d say a 9 is possible. Maybe it still is...who knows.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

A PSA 9 nowadays is very unlikely unless it's super sharp. This does have flaws. PSA7?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 3:32PM

I believe an 8 is within reach but a 9, certainly not. Not with the rough cut but on the left and some the slightly touched corners. Cant forget the chipping at the bottom. This one is centered which makes it more desirable to any possible potential buyer.

• Options

@Vagabond said:
    I believe an 8 is within reach but a 9, certainly not. Not with the rough cut but on the left and some the slightly touched corners. Cant forget the chipping at the bottom. This one is centered which makes it more desirable to any possible potential buyer.

The rough cut on the left is pretty standard/normal for the 1986 Fleer, but your other points are noted.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 12:07AM

@Card_Collector said:

>
    The rough cut on the left is pretty standard/normal for the 1986 Fleer, but your other points are noted.

My buddy sent in a Jordan last month that he figured would get a 7 because of the left side roughage.... But actually got an 8 (centering)

• Options

I'm thinking about sending it in to PSA, but I'm not sure how much the fee will be. Anyone know?

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I could be wrong, but PSA has only the $300 option right now.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    uncbuddhauncbuddha Posts: 47 ✭✭

Here Is my 8 that was graded in September 2020 for reference. Some very faint flaking on the right edge. It was in a screw down for almost 30 years so I was very happy with this 8.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

What's the blemish on the BLK column heading? If that's a dent or scratch showing any kind of paper beneath you are not going to be pleased with the result

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:
    What's the blemish on the BLK column heading? If that's a dent or scratch showing any kind of paper beneath you are not going to be pleased with the result

I think it's a reflection. I really need to look at that. How many points would it deduct if it was a blemish?

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 2:10AM

Please delete.

• Options

@Card_Collector said:

@Jayman1982 said:

I think it's a reflection. I really need to look at that. How many points would it deduct if it was a blemish?

If it's actually a dent into the card stock I would imagine you are looking at a 5 at best. You really need to spend some time looking at the card's surface at different angles under a powerful light source, even different light sources, ie sunlight, halogen, etc. Don't be blinded by sharp corners and nice centering, it's the really small surface blemishes that can knock you down the most, any dents, scratches, wrinkles are going to crush your hopes of an 8 or 9 real fast.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has gone on long enough. What did it grade?

• Options

That's a straight up 8!

• Options
    edited June 15, 2021 1:34AM

Any other thoughts?

Sending it to PSA now is $300, right? Are they even doing cross grading? Should I wait? I'm scarred to break it, as I don't want to damage it.

Any last opinions?

• Options

What grade is it currently and who was it graded by?

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

It's in a holder of a non-big 3 grading company. I wouldn't touch it.

• Options

@professorpuck said:

I'm super curious to see what company's holder that is, one of the guard rails looks like it was formed with a crude stone age tool

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

@professorpuck said:

I'm super curious to see what company's holder that is, one of the guard rails looks like it was formed with a crude stone age tool

Not something you'd want your Jordan rookie rubbing up against for decades.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.