Home Sports Talk

Sir Chuck is against super teams

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2021 6:03PM in Sports Talk

Sir Chuck Barkley doesn't like super teams and says he's old school.

Charles Barkley is rooting against the Nets: ‘Not a fan of superteams’

The Nets have found themselves among the NBA’s biggest villains this season, and they can count Charles Barkley as one of their many haters.

It’s not entirely personal, though.

“I’m not a fan of superteams,” Barkley said on a conference call Wednesday to discuss the NBA playoffs and playing in his 26th American Century Championship golf event. “If they win it, they win it. But I want to make it perfectly clear — I’m rooting against those guys. I’m rooting against all superteams. I’m old school.”

Not that Sir Charles hasn’t picked a side in the New York City rivalry.

“The Brooklyn Nets got a much better team, but when they play it’s like a mausoleum,” the former Suns, 76ers, and Rockets star said of Barclays Center. “And they got a much better team.

Charles Barkley is vehemently against the NBA trend of superteams.

Barkley’s Nets distaste should be no surprise to anyone in Brooklyn. The outspoken “Inside the NBA” analyst has feuded with multiple members of Brooklyn’s Big 3, exchanging barbs with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

Despite his resentment of players forming superteams — he noted how they often decimate franchises, citing LeBron James twice leaving Cleveland — Barkley did give some thought to the Big 3 he’d love to have been a part of playing alongside former Jazz stars John Stockton and Karl Malone.

The championship chasing still grates on Barkley.

“I just don’t think that’s good for the game,” he said. “Even though we didn’t win a championship, the Sixers were worth watching when I was there. The Knicks were worth watching. The Pacers were worth watching when Reggie [Miller] was there. Same with Atlanta and Dominique [Wilkins]. I just don’t think it’s good for business but these young kids, they all fold to peer pressure and feel like they got to win a championship or their life sucks.”

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

He also said super teams are bad for business and if he had won a championship with the Rockets, that the championship wouldn't have counted because he would've won it on a super team.

edited June 10, 2021 4:57PM

That's quite a photo, Drexler, Barkley, and Olajuwon.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charles has certainly put on a few pounds since that photo was taken. LOL

Sir Chuck is also afraid of snakes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRGx4mackE

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NBA created the ability for Super Teams, it is what it is

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    That's quite a photo, Drexler, Barkley, and Olajuwon.

I don’t remember if it was that season or next but Scottie Pippen played with Barkley & Hakeem too.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone complaining about super teams doesn't get it. Bird's 80s teams all had 4+ HOFers on them, Magic's 80s teams had 3+ HOFers. The super teams prior to that were no different. Heck the 50s & 60s Celtics routinely had 6 and 7 HOFers on the team at one time. No wonder they won so many championships, pretty easy to do when the top players coming off your bench are HOFers.

People don't like it now because players are calling the shots when putting together teams.

Robb

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

The super teams of the past occurred organically, due to either good drafting or luck. I think what bothers people now is players leaving their team to form a super team, which not only creates a dominant team, but weakens other teams, leading to less competitive balance and championships that seem unearned.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Anyone complaining about super teams doesn't get it. Bird's 80s teams all had 4+ HOFers on them, Magic's 80s teams had 3+ HOFers. The super teams prior to that were no different. Heck the 50s & 60s Celtics routinely had 6 and 7 HOFers on the team at one time. No wonder they won so many championships, pretty easy to do when the top players coming off your bench are HOFers.

People don't like it now because players are calling the shots when putting together teams.

Robb

Bird, Magic, and MJ were drafted to their teams.

When owners saw how great these kids were, they went out and got the missing pieces.

Old school was you got drafted by a team, stayed with the team.

New school is get drafted by a team, and if you’re great, hope to one day go to a team already loaded with players who did the same as you.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if it were just 2-3 free agents deciding to team up to try win a title it might not be viewed with the same level of negativity that this topic has raised in recent years. It’s just when they do the same thing but one guy is currently signed to another team for the foreseeable future like Anthony Davis and James Harden were and then they tell the GM not only do I want to be traded but I want you to send me to this team.

At that point his team pretty much gets the shaft while having to take back a group of players that are probably not that good because if they were, that “super team” would keep them to help win a title. That original team also gets handed a bunch of lottery protected draft picks that usually end up near the back of round one because the super team is adding your star player who will only make the team much better in most cases.

In AD’s case, he ended up winning a ring by forcing his way onto LA’s roster and the same,in all likelihood, will happen to James Harden in the next month. How both players were able to shoot their way out of town to land on the next super team is what most basketball fans really hate about this topic.