Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1834 Capped Bust Half


I recently got this and several other nice pieces from a friend for cheap. I took them to the local pawn shop that deals in coins and they are real. Im trying to figure out the details and how much it's worth. I think it's in better than average shape.

Comments

  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

    High VF details cleaned.

    So whatever that is worth. My gut says $100 or so.

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree... VF30 details, cleaned.

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What he said.

  • Options

    Well... That's awesome news! It's worth more than I paid for all of them. Thanks for the info! I have several more to show. Hope you like the rest as well. Thanks.

  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The coin is an Overton 107, Large Date, Small Letters. R1 rarity. Looks to have been improperly cleaned. Not worth grading.

    A problem-free VF30 might sell for $100 or so. My guess is this one is worth about half that.
    Lance.

  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2021 1:18PM

    @lkeigwin said:
    The coin is an Overton 107, Large Date, Small Letters. R1 rarity. Looks to have been improperly cleaned. Not worth grading.

    A problem-free VF30 might sell for $100 or so. My guess is this one is worth about half that.
    Lance.

    Go look at eBay sold listings. The baseline price on a bust half with solid details (VG or better) and some issues is up to $40 or so.

    It's probably not a $100 coin, but I could easily see it getting 75 bucks. If it was on eBay for $50 as a buy it now, I would probably buy it right away and flip it elsewhere.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1834 half dollar&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_udhi=60

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, what they said

  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @johnny9434 said:
    Yeah, what they said

    I agree with @johnny9434

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Probably cleaned by burnishing with a cloth to remove toning one the high points and in much of the field. Not worth slabbing. Solid VF details. The $50 retail estimate is in the ballpark.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome to the forum. Realize that when a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. Show pics of the other coins. They may not all be cleaned or damaged.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jesbroken said:
    Welcome to the forum. Realize that when a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. Show pics of the other coins. They may not all be cleaned or damaged.
    Jim

    He has many threads so I think you'll have the chance to see them ;)

    Seated Half Society member #38

    "She comes out of the sun in a silk dress,
    running like a water color in the rain...."
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Catbert He has many threads so I think you'll have the chance to see them ;)

    Under many names as well? He has only 9 posts under this one. Hope not.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Puleez!

    Take pictures out of the 2X2, so we can see clear pictures.

    Unless of course the coin isn't yours.

    Frank

    BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file