Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

89 Upper Deck foil box size difference

MParker79MParker79 Posts: 25

Hey everyone, I’ve not found any information about this, but I have 2 BBCE wrapped FASC
89 UD boxes, and I’ve noticed they’re slightly different sizes. They’re both legit (unless somebodies figured out how to knock off the BBCE wrap, stickers?) but wondering if this indicates a certain point in production, or anything else that might be valuable in deciding which one to open, and which one to save.

The one on the right is taller, and has more space inside with the packs sliding around.

Comments

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

First year of existence, coupled with running the presses for 8 months with unexpected levels of demand, would make it unlikely that Upper Deck relied on one production method or source for materials.

I would be amazed if there were any tells about what lays inside based on packaging. Great looking boxes.

-Nathanael

• Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

The discussion on 1989 Upper Deck Baseball and 1990 Hockey printing should continue on forever. It's so messed up what was going on.

• Options

I’ve noticed some things with the Griffey rookie that I’m sure stems from what Nathanael posted. There seems to be what I e noticed as “fat border” mint and gem mint cards, and regular standard borders. Lot of oddities that only are noticed when you let yourself get obsessed like I have lol

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, same deal here. No idea why??
    Eyelash variety?
    Purple hat
    Fat border???

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the smaller boxes were printed in 1991

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the smaller boxes were actually made for the club channel (I.e. Costco), since the hobby size boxes made the case dimensions too big to fit in their pallet racking. I have owned a number of cases that had club stickers on them and they contained the smaller boxes.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

What Chris said.

I also have completely different sized FASC boxes from Low#.

Need to dig them out. I prefer the smaller boxes as they have less pack movement.

But I love them all equally.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too