Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Larger Collection (Ask $130K) in Colo Springs area What do you think? Red Flags?

thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Morning,

My son in his infinite searching came across this listing and spoke to the Seller last night for about an hour. He called me trying to Bum $65K for half!

The listing is on CraigsList in Denver/Colo Springs area, Baseball Card Collection $130K.

Here is a link to one of the 5 Listings he put it under to be able to have 125 pictures (25 Max Craigslist). Cant get links too work!

Some interesting stuff and some Red Flags. My son said he sounded legit and was not evasive on anything. Keeping in mind my Sons real expertise is in Jersey's, so not the best to evaluate that kind of a collection. Plus he's a Millenial who just made 10K on Gamestop and Doge Coin, so he doesn't know Jack about Cards!

Oh and BTW, if somebody here snatches it my Son and I expect a Finders fee! :):D

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

Comments

• Options

Yes,

Thank You!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Colorado Springs as well. So let me know if you’d like help from a local. I’m not in a position to purchase anything that large right now so no worries about me taking it from under your hands.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I often wonder what a fair asking price would be for my entire collection, without doing the legwork to try to add it all up. I have been accumulating stuff for 40+ years. No sense it going into details at this point, as I am not trying to sell, but it is a variety of all kinds of different stuff.

A long time ago, before I got super focused and added quality over quantity, more as a I wonder what would happen moment, I listed my collection on ebay during one of the rare no fee listing days they had before listings were free. Used to be that any high value auction or a reserve cost you big $ to list. I think I listed it for something crazy like $500K (just to protect myself in case someone did bid) and was going to add photos and a detailed description once the listing was live. However, some asshole saw it and started pestering me via email about how I could possibly have a collection with that kind of value, despite having NO photos or details posted yet. I saved the email exchange, as it was classic, but it made me decide not to bother if i was just going to have to deal with tools like that.

That said, not sure what I would value my collection at today, but it seems like it might not take that much to get a retail value of $130K if you had collected for a while and had good stuff. In my case, nothing has been cherry picked along the way. So coming across a collection like mine, if I were me, I'd be in heaven going through it. Not saying there would be room to make money on this particular CL collection, but if someone had the extra money and wanted to buy a $130K collection for the fun of it, it could be a decent buy depending on what was included.

I think anyone would be cautious about a large collection, assuming it would be full of junk with a few highlights. Think of it this way though...do you have 2600 items in your collection that could sell for $50 each? If so, you have a $130K collection. what if you had $100 items, now you only need 1300 items. For those heavy hitters, 130 $1K items and you are there!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Just saw the link. It looks like there is a good chance of making some money if one wanted to, or if nothing else, buying a nice chuck of good stuff for keeps. Lots of great stuff that I could see (Rice, Elway, Payton, Staubach, Bradshaw RCs, Mantles, Jordans, including a couple jordan RCs). What does a psa8 Jordan RC sell for?

I'd want to dig deeper if I were considering $100K+ investment, but it looks much more promising than a lot of larger collections i have seen advertised.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I lived in Colorado Springs. What a beautiful place.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

For $130K I would want to see a lot of graded, and also a lot of expensive cards. He has a jordan rookie that's graded, a couple Jordan rookie stickers, I didn't see a whole lot more in expensive graded cards. There were some Rice rookies, a Bradshaw, a couple Marino, etc, but nothing graded. If you get that stuff graded and it grades well, maybe a few bucks toward the purchase price. But if they get 6s? I might be missing some stuff but it looks like your son can spend a lot of time trying to get his money back.

By the way, a collection that big and no Elway rookies in Colorado Springs? Maybe the guy held back a few favorites and he's looking to cash in on what's left.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 1:08PM

There were around 10-12 Elway rookies you can see. This collection looks like a bargain to me. I don't see how you could not make money if you wanted to break it up and sell. There is insane stuff there. My wife would divorce me immediately, but that would be amazing to go through. My problem is, I would not want to sell any of it!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Guy put a LCS in his house!! What do you think the red flags are? (besides showing up to the house with the cash and end up in a Silence of the Lambs pit!

I guess all the GMA graded stuff explains why the guy doesn't just send all the BGS/PSA stuff to PWCC or something.

It would take me a whole day just to study the pics to come up with guestimate condition raw values for everything that can be seen. At least you can value the PSA/BGS stuff.

A lot of nice stuff and all the memorabilia stuff "thrown in". looks like it is almost a 3 week old post.

• Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

Silence of the lambs reference. Nice.

It rubs the lotion on its cards.

There is a pic of his wife in there ! So slight bonus for the buyer !

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 1:21PM

Hey,

Thanks All!

My son is going down to the Springs next Sat to get a look. He lives 100 miles away from Denver and is going to look at another collection in Denver first, then he is setting it up with the Colo Springs guy. I am going to have him Video it and then we'll see.

Red Flag #1,

Guy is selling his collection because he's moving to N. Carolina, flying out tomorrow (Explains 3 week old listing, he's been trying). Will come back to make Sale. Red Flag, it is now all in a storage unit, so all boxed up! It would take forever to even open Boxes and search for what is in the pictures above!

BTW, my Son has Corrected me, he is not a Millenial, he is a Gen Xer, whatever that is!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

As a baseball guy I can’t speak on the football and basketball stuff. If that was all baseball, I’d be looking (from a high-level perspective) how much 50s and earlier stuff he has if I’m trying to see if I can recover my $$. I’m seeing mostly 60s baseball singles. I do see a 55 Banks, 56 Mantle, and two 58 Mantles, but that’s really it. Assuming those Mantles are mid grade (this is probably optimistic) you are maybe getting $4-5K. You would need to hit 8s and 9s on the rest of the 60s stuff to really make a dent in the $130K. Chances of that are slim. Maybe apply that logic to the other sports.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a quick two minute glance at it. 130k just isn't jumping out at me as some sort of phenomenal deal.

Just a guess, i doubt if any local card shop offered him more than 50k, and maybe not even close to that.

So if ya really want it and think it's a certain value, offer him 50k cash and see what happens.

• Options

I am more of the nostalgic collector in this case. I see tons of stuff that I have already, but like the Elway & Marino RCs for example, I have maybe 2 and would love more. I don't mind dupes and dupes of key cards like that are never bad. Lots of stuff I don't have too, like a Jordan RC. I also see what some singles sell for on ebay and think how hard would it be to list a handful of the more popular RCs and really start bringing in some $. Especially now. I quickly looked through the 5 listings, lots of FB in the 70s-80s, many of the key RC is quantity. He seemed to favor FB. There are Mantles and such, saw Mac, Brett RCs and a few others, but not a lot of vintage BB, which is more my wheelhouse. Basketball has a lot of Jordan stuff, not all of it great. Not a lot of older stuff, a few 70s. No Wilt, Russell, Dr J, Maravich, Bird RCs or that kind of level stuff that I noticed in my quick scans. You have to assume the best of the collection is shown in the photos, so 3-4 digit surprises are probably not going to happen in the boxes/binders.

The storage red flag is legit. On the flip side, if the guy is getting antsy about keeping it in storage in a different State (there is a cost there, although fractions of what the perceived value of the collection is worth), he may be in a position to need to bargain a little as well, so your change to knock a few $K off the price perhaps.

Like I said, I would love to just spend the next year weeding through to see what you will find. I am in a unique spot to probably be able to swing a purchase like that due to a recent inheritance, but I could never convince my wife it would be worth it, nor would I have the room to store it if I did buy it. Then, trying to get me to sell anything would underline the fact that I just spend over $100K to expand my personal collection.

If I were single and this was in my area, I could have been a serious contender for it.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my thoughts. First, obviously, the price tag puts a lot of people out of the game. But, secondly, with a price tag like that and all those pics, you will also have a lot of looks because it appears that he is serious and he obviously has lots of cards. The value may or may not be there. But with a collection like this, you are probably known by most of the card shops around. Therefore, I would think that most of the card shops in the area have had a chance to look at this. My guess is that this isn't a lifetime find that will make you a million dollars or else someone else would have snatched it already. You may be able to make a profit, I have no idea.

I will say that if it was in my area, I would certainly look at it to see if I could piece it out on ebay. I'd need some solid items that I know would net me most of my money back. Good luck with the purchase.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I hope those screw downs are recessed.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    There were around 10-12 Elway rookies you can see. This collection looks like a bargain to me. I don't see how you could not make money if you wanted to break it up and sell. There is insane stuff there. My wife would divorce me immediately, but that would be amazing to go through. My problem is, I would not want to sell any of it!

Missed the Elways somehow drooling at everything else. I wouldn't want to sell either. I would take a year going thru it all.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

there would have to be 1300 cards worth $100 each to get to break even...seems that is very doable...would be better if the Payton rookie, Rice rookies, etc were in PSA holders so you'd know just what value you are looking at for most of the better cards

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 3:02PM

too many unknowns to consider making a serious deal. if anything, he’s in a jam and cant seriously expect anything near his figure. and if he is, why waste anymore efforts w/ a delusional.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that if you were knowledgeable and serious enough to amass a collection worth $130k, you’d be knowledgeable and serious enough to consign with a reputable auctioneer when you are ready to sell. The use of Craigslist is the only red flag I’d need.

• Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 5:47AM

The guy is done with this stuff. Wants out. The aspect of all this gets old. He wants to bail and get something after the years of fun.

If the means out there for an ongoing collector.. would buy it. But of course after some bartering.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

That collection looks like it would be a TON of fun to go through!

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

From an investment angle, I'd strongly recommend that you buy 1 $130,000 card that you were confident in, rather than 13,000 $10 cards that you were confident in.

• Options

@professorpuck said:
    From an investment angle, I'd strongly recommend that you buy 1 $130,000 card that you were confident in, rather than 13,000 $10 cards that you were confident in.

100%. especially when you dont know the new cost of grading, how long it will take to be able to sub, how long it will even take when its opened back up and so forth. a solid 18 months min, imo. thats a good chunk of change to sit on for that amount of time. it would be fun as h3ll, no doubt. but smart? ehhh...as stated, too many unknowns. itd have to be an absolutely smokin deal, which it sounds like the guy is still way too attached.

• Options

As I had time to think about this, and considering that I have a large collection myself that i have not sold anything of significance from, I see this as more of a buy to enhance a collection. However, if someone is dumping $130K, it is almost guaranteed that they see a profit in it. Most are looking at this as a must turn a profit angle, which is fine. I'm guessing there is $130K of value in that collection, maybe just not the kind that is easy to flip for a quick profit.

• Options

In a situation such as this and on Ebay as well, never add any significant value to that which you can't see.

So for this situation, appraise the value and make an offer based on the cards you can see. Frankly, the items in the albums, etc, based on how they're labeled, look like near worthless modern junk.

If you do buy it and there are some winners in those albums and boxes, then that's a bonus. But to allow your imagination to run wild on a situation such as this could cost you a lot of money.

I agree with an earlier comment, that if he did have any super valuable cards in his collection, he's already sold those or sent them to an auction site or whatever. If that's the case, he cleverly kept some of the Mantles and Jordans as enticement bait for the 130k price.

• Options

Afternoon,

Well, we'll see how it actually plays out with My Son there. I will update after he gets a look at it next Saturday. I did a rough and tough with what can be seen and came up about $

Thanks All!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    I hope those screw downs are recessed.

They don't look recessed, just a penny sleeve crushed under diamond forming pressure for God knows how many years. Be sure your son knows how to spot "altered stock" corners or else he/you are in for a world of hurt when cards stored in those holders come back as deemed altered...

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see it. Almost no graded vintage. I like Elway like the next guy but 10 raw 84s is worth about $300.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

When the seller dedicates two separate pictures to a 1990s junk wax hockey box that is worth maybe $3, I'd say you have a long way to go before you see six figures out of this deal.

• Options

<<< He called me trying to Bum $65K for half! >>>

If ya happen to find in there any boxes of unopened 1952 Topps wax packs, I'd be more than happy to quickly send 65k, cash or gold coins, whatever is preferred.

😉

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    It seems to me that if you were knowledgeable and serious enough to amass a collection worth $130k, you’d be knowledgeable and serious enough to consign with a reputable auctioneer when you are ready to sell. The use of Craigslist is the only red flag I’d need.

Not only that, but you'd probably have the connections and contacts to make a sale.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Why's all the graded stuff in these oddball grading companies?
    No way I'd give even a quarter of the asking price..

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

If ya happen to find in there any boxes of unopened 1952 Topps wax packs, I'd be more than happy to quickly send 65k, cash or gold coins, whatever is preferred.

😉

It's Craigslist, so you might have to deal in freshly harvested human kidneys

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

If he has any Palamolu or Bettis's Jersey's, my Boy might offer up MY Kidneys, well I hope it would be for at least multiples!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

@stevek said:

😉

If there's a box of 1952 unopened wax in there, i'd consider offering one of mine.

I'd only consider offering both kidneys if it was a last series. LOL

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have said it before on these large purchase threads and I will say it again, your Son needs to be careful. Craigslist is loaded with scammers. If he has any friends in law enforcement he should see if they can go with him.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    I have said it before on these large purchase threads and I will say it again, your Son needs to be careful. Craigslist is loaded with scammers. If he has any friends in law enforcement he should see if they can go with him.

My Boy was raised a Colorado Mountain Redneck who fervently believes in the Second Amendment! If ya get my drift, also his 320 pound buddy usually stops most funny stuff as they go around the Western States buying Cars/Trucks from Auctions and flipping them. And also, even though he will be in a Military Town, his arsenal would be hard pressed to be matched!

Plus it looks like I may fly out for the weekend, any Excuse to see my Son is always welcome!

Thanks

YeeaHah!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@Cakes said:

My Boy was raised a Colorado Mountain Redneck who fervently believes in the Second Amendment! If ya get my drift, also his 320 pound buddy usually stops most funny stuff as they go around the Western States buying Cars/Trucks from Auctions and flipping them. And also, even though he will be in a Military Town, his arsenal would be hard pressed to be matched!

Plus it looks like I may fly out for the weekend, any Excuse to see my Son is always welcome!

Thanks

YeeaHah!

Neil

Oh good, just making sure. Good luck.

It's too bad you and your Son don't live closer together, that would be an awesome long term Father & Son project!

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

It's too bad you and your Son don't live closer together, that would be an awesome long term Father & Son project!

Too True, but after 40 Colorado Mountain Winters I just didn't have it in me anymore! And he'll never leave Colorado! So it is what it is!

YeeHaw!

Thanks

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@Cakes said:

Too True, but after 40 Colorado Mountain Winters I just didn't have it in me anymore! And he'll never leave Colorado! So it is what it is!

YeeHaw!

Thanks

Neil

I understand. I have only been to Colorado once, and was lucky enough to stay at the Broadmoor. Truly an elegant place to stay and truly a gorgeous State!

• Options

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

Initially inspecting the lot, I doubt if there will be a problem. The seller isn't going to expect you to have 130k with you at that time. The "problem" could occur when consummating the transaction.

Here's how i think you should do it. Of course first inspect the cards. Then go thru the negotiating process. If ya come to an agreement, hire a local attorney to draw up a terms of agreement. Then the seller brings all the key cards to the lawyer's office. Probably less than a box of cards. You meet him there, he shows you the cards, you inspect the cards. If it's satisfactory, then you both sign the agreement and you hand him a certified check or cash.

Then an arrangement is made to pickup the rest of the cards and other items. Worst case scenario, he somehow stiffs you for the other items. Likely not even worth 10k anyway.

Perhaps someone can add something else or something better to this? But i think this is a good basic strategy for a safe secure transaction.

If he doesn't want to do any of this, then pass.

• Options
    edited June 7, 2021 12:39PM

@stevek said:

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

Initially inspecting the lot, I doubt if there will be a problem. The seller isn't going to expect you to have 130k with you at that time. The "problem" could occur when consummating the transaction.

Here's how i think you should do it. Of course first inspect the cards. Then go thru the negotiating process. If ya come to an agreement, hire a local attorney to draw up a terms of agreement. Then the seller brings all the key cards to the lawyer's office. Probably less than a box of cards. You meet him there, he shows you the cards, you inspect the cards. If it's satisfactory, then you both sign the agreement and you hand him a certified check or cash.

Then an arrangement is made to pickup the rest of the cards and other items. Worst case scenario, he somehow stiffs you for the other items. Likely not even worth 10k anyway.

Perhaps someone can add something else or something better to this? But i think this is a good basic strategy for a safe secure transaction.

its all in a storage unit now, i think. which so much bait and switch that could occur if it even exists in the first place. as stated before, you guys be careful. i would definitely be packing.

at the very least, i can see him putting the time crunch on you guys to get the deal done quickly.

definitely bring a folding table, chairs, gatorades & lunch.

• Options

i would also have him create an inventory list of the staples and have him attest that they are not reprints. after youve gone thru and they are put back in the storage unit, things could go missing when you come back to pick them up.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

its all in a storage unit now, i think. which so much bait and switch could occur if it even exists in the first place. as stated before, you guys be careful. i would definitely be packing.

Lot of chit in play here that's for sure. Don't forget if it's a legit seller, he's concerned about getting stiffed or robbed as well. Everybody has heard the various Craigslist stories of bad outcomes, including murder.

His storage unit story may be a bluff, just to discourage potential thieves from breaking into his house.

In any event. the bottom line is meeting him with the key cards at the attorney's office, I think basically eliminates most if not all of the problems for the buyer. If the seller doesn't show up, you would be out a few hundred dollars or a bit more in attorney's fees. But that's money well spent to avoid being scammed or more.

• Options

@stevek said:

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

its all in a storage unit now, i think. which so much bait and switch could occur if it even exists in the first place. as stated before, you guys be careful. i would definitely be packing.

Lot of chit in play here that's for sure. Don't forget if it's a legit seller, he's concerned about getting stiffed or robbed as well. Everybody has heard the various Craigslist stories of bad outcomes, including murder.

His storage unit story may be a bluff, just to discourage potential thieves from breaking into his house.

In any event. the bottom line is meeting him with the key cards at the attorney's office, I think basically eliminates most if not all of the problems for the buyer. If the seller doesn't show up, you would be out a few hundred dollars or a bit more in attorney's fees. But that's money well spent to avoid being scammed or more.

true. but as several have also said, it takes years to build that type of collection. he woulda, shoulda had the resources and contacts in place to move it in a better manner. the fact that he’s moving and not taking it w him is another head scratcher. if im moving, im more worried about my collection than my couch/tv. if anything, he’s setting the bait by using craigslist & red flags galore, imo. it def could all be legit, but bs defenses would remain at def com 5 throughout.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

true. but as several have also said, it takes years to build that type of collection. he woulda, shoulda had the resources and contacts in place to move it in a better manner. the fact that he’s moving and not taking it w him is another head scratcher. if im moving, im more worried about my collection than my couch/tv. if anything, he’s setting the bait by using craigslist & red flags galore, imo. it def could all be legit, but bs defenses would remain at def com 5 throughout.

Frankly, in my opinion you'd have to be an absolute glutton for punishment to hand somebody a 130k cashiers check off some internet pics and a promise that it's all in the storage unit.

Could take this a little further and do a credit and background check on the guy.

There could be something in play whereby the woman pictured on the couch has adamantly demanded that they move without the cards, or he moves without her...or whatever. If that's the case, he should have tried to sell the lot well before making a move when the cards were still at the house.

Perhaps the end game is he knows nobody in their right mind is going to pay that sort of money for a storage locker. So he simply keeps the cards, pays the monthly storage locker fee, and his wife or girlfriend is happy that the card hoard as she sees it aren't in their new house.

The biggest problem as i see it for a buyer taking all the necessary precautions, is even if all goes well, the collection in my opinion isn't worth remotely close to 130k anyway.

My guess is the guy priced it not to sell. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@blurryface said:

@stevek said:

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

Frankly, in my opinion you'd have to be an absolute glutton for punishment to hand somebody a 130k cashiers check off some internet pics and a promise that it's all in the storage unit.

Could take this a little further and do a credit and background check on the guy.

There could be something in play whereby the woman pictured on the couch has adamantly demanded that they move without the cards, or he moves without her...or whatever. If that's the case, he should have tried to sell the lot well before making a move when the cards were still at the house.

Perhaps the end game is he knows nobody in their right mind is going to pay that sort of money for a storage locker. So he simply keeps the cards, pays the monthly storage locker fee, and his wife or girlfriend is happy that the card hoard as she sees it aren't in their new house.

The biggest problem as i see it for a buyer taking all the necessary precautions, is even if all goes well, the collection in my opinion isn't worth remotely close to 130k anyway.

My guess is the guy priced it not to sell. LOL

i can not disgree w/ any of that. 😉

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of good points here.

Two things I can add based on my experience. Someone who lists something on Craigslist can be talked down in price. Especially from such a large amount. There should be plenty of wiggle room.

130K and even 100K is a lot of money. Sorry if I missed your end goal with the collection but if this is to resell, it's a lot of work. But if you do have 130K to burn, I would go for a 52 Mantle PSA 5. Not sure if 130K would get it done but I also like the idea of just going after one card. When 52 Mantles raise in price every 4 or 5 years, it's typically a nice noticeable amount and it becomes easy money after that.

Please keep updating us but 130K seems like a lot. Especially from the photos posted (which I would assume would be the juicy stuff which should grab peoples attention).