Home Sports Talk
Options

Jacob DeGrom is off to one heck of a start.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t post his stats, because you wouldn’t believe them.

He could have the greatest year ever as a pitcher if he keeps it up.

Some announcers are saying the ball isn’t as lively this year. Can’t be proven, but it’s been said a lot. Heard it again on the Yanks-Sox game last night from Verducci.

Comments

• Options

Here’s one stat that is just incredible. DeGrom is #1 in ERA in the NL. The #2 guys ERA is over 100% higher than DeGroms.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the 4-0 Mets score this morning on the Internet, I didn't even have to open up the box score to know that deGrom must've been pitching.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has the lowest ERA ever for a pitcher after 9 starts - 0.62. He has a 0.569 WHIP - the lowest all-time for anybody with 30+ innings pitched in a season. He's averaging 3.72 K for every hit he allows.

Having said all that, greatest year ever? Not sure about that.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

He's also averaged 100mph on his heater over the last two starts......averaged. That's insane.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the number of team games played, he's on a pace for 59 RAA. That's excellent, but not as good as he was in 2018 and not close to Pedro Martinez in 2000.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

the problem for pitchers is that all it takes is one bad start to ruin it. just one of those 3 inning 6 run outbursts on a day when he doesn't have his best stuff and that era will fly up there. Grenkie had a similar season a few years ago.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the lesson to take from Jake is, if you want to be an effective pitcher deep into your career, don’t start pitching until your twenties.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    the problem for pitchers is that all it takes is one bad start to ruin it. just one of those 3 inning 6 run outbursts on a day when he doesn't have his best stuff and that era will fly up there. Grenkie had a similar season a few years ago.

I assume you're referring to 2015 when Greinke led the majors with a 1.66 ERA. His ERA never went above 2.00 the whole year. He had two - really, just two - bad starts all year. Once, he gave up 5 ER in 6 IP and his ERA jumped from 1.48 to 1.97 (the highest it would be all year). Later, he again gave up 5 ER in 6 IP and his ERA jumped from 1.41 to 1.65. The largest jump was after his 3rd start (3 ER in 6 IP) when it jumped from 0.69 to 1.83. Greinke's ERA remarkably was between 1.58 and 1.68 for all of August and September/Oct. Amazing. That's the year Jake Arrieta won the CYA - I always thought Greinke should've won it because he was great all year, not just half like Arrieta.

One bad start won't kill Degrom so long as he gets in enough innings.

• Options

DeGrom went to Stetson University, as did Kluber I think.

We have a junior at our high school who is hitting .485 as a junior and is already committed to Stetson. He’s 6’1 190 and has an OBP of .646 as a junior. It’s just unreal.

He hit two bombs in the first game of the states. Yesterday he had a bomb and three walks.

Manny Ramirez hit .500 as a senior in high school. This kid basically did that as a junior.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    DeGrom went to Stetson University, as did Kluber I think.

We have a junior at our high school who is hitting .485 as a junior and is already committed to Stetson. He’s 6’1 190 and has an OBP of .646 as a junior. It’s just unreal.

He hit two bombs in the first game of the states. Yesterday he had a bomb and three walks.

Manny Ramirez hit .500 as a senior in high school. This kid basically did that as a junior.

We had a kid in Colorado who hit .750 as a junior. He hit 17 home runs that year - in something like 22 games or something. That was the year before I started coaching. The following year, I joined the staff coaching the JV. He hit 11 homers as a senior since teams wouldn't pitch to him.

He ended up making the major leagues - as a pitcher. Junior Herndon was his name. Didn't last long in the majors but, hey, he got there. Nice kid, too.

• Options

Wow. 750 was my little league batting average. It was total domination. 3 for 4 every game.

To do that in high school means you are a man amongst boys, which he was.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 11:43AM

If you have nothing to do tonight DeGrom is pitching at 7pm on mlbtv.

• Options

Looks like I jinxed him.
    After pitching six innings of 1 hit, no run baseball Friday he left with a sore arm. 10 strikeouts and 0 walks in six innings. ERA now 0.56

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the dude is batting .400 for good measure

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    And the dude is batting .400 for good measure

m

When’s the last time a pitcher has driven in more runs at the plate then he’s given up on the mound ? Lol
    Guy is off to an amazing start.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's hitting .423 now. It's unreal. His season thus far is the best I've ever seen, even better than Gooden in '85 and Pedro at his peak.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of the game after three. What a bummer! 😕

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like he is on the path to blowing his arm out. I would be selling any and every DeGrom card I owned (if I actually owned any).

Robb

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Seems like he is on the path to blowing his arm out. I would be selling any and every DeGrom card I owned (if I actually owned any).

Robb

He has had side, back, elbow and shoulder soreness so far this year

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2021 6:57PM

@Goldenage said:

When’s the last time a pitcher has driven in more runs at the plate then he’s given up on the mound ? Lol
    Guy is off to an amazing start.

Shohei Ohtani in every single season of his career. Yes, that's cheating :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure seems deGrom is too slightly built to be throwing 100% all the time. he is seemingly continuously injured this season with his uptick in velo.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

The question is what would an offensive hitters stats look like if he were as dominant as DeGrom ?

Would he be hitting .400, .500, .600?

Would would his OBP and OPS be ?